Red Moon Rising by Peter Moore

Red Moon Rising

by Peter Moore

617194,696 (4)3

Red Moon Rising - a book about a fantasy world where vampyres, humans, and werewulfs coexist - barely. Danny is a half-vampyre half-wolf who's struggling to find his way in a world prejudiced against all things wulven. When things start to get hairy (literally!) he's launched into the sudden realization that the choices he makes now can endanger everything he's ever known and put his family and friends' lives at stake.

Red Moon Rising is a well-written book about the struggle of a young boy to uncover his true identity. The plot was very suspenseful and kept me wondering whether Danny was going to get caught or not. The characters were very real and believable. There was a bit of romance, but it blended well with the plot and complemented it rather than worsened it.

In all, I like this book. If you like vamprye and wulf stories, this comes with good recommendation!
  Sianatra | Oct 2, 2011 |
This is a completely different take on the vampire/werewolf legend. No sparkles here, although the vampires are considered the superior race. And that is where the problem really begins. Vampires are more intelligent and more attractive than humans, but the societies are well integrated. The fact that vampires only drink synthetic blood probably helps.Werewulves (not a typo, that's how they spell it) however, are not even second class. They are slightly higher than animals. They are considered the least intelligent and are required to register before their first turning. If they don't, they are "moonrunners" and can be shot on sight. Every month during the full moon, all registered wulves are shipped to compounds and many of them never return. Many vampires and humans believe they should be exterminated, or at the least, should not be allowed to associate with "civilized" people.I kept thinking of blacks in America before the civil rights era and Japanese containment camps during World War II. There is even a mention of Nazis and it is not in a negative way.I would recommend this book simply on the basis it was a good read. The addition of the societal aspects make it even more compelling. ( )
  ElaineBooks | Jul 30, 2011 |
The world Moore created was very interesting. A world where wulves, vampires and humans coexist. Sort of. Moore changed our history to fit their history--the Nazis weren't after Jews, they were after wulves. The civil right activists were fighting for equality between species (is that the right word?) instead of race. Famous people in our world are famous in his world, their names changed slightly and they may or may not be human. So I thought all of that was really interesting.

I liked Danny. I respected him as a character and respected his choices. I can see boys really liking this book. There's vampires and werewolves and fighting and a bully, but without the romance. Well, there is romance, but it is not girly romance.

I felt like the book ended very abruptly. None of the big issues were resolved. Because of this I am assuming it's a series. It could end here, but there are so many more questions, and no easy answers. This isn't a fluffy book. ( )
  resugo | Apr 13, 2011 |
Peter Moore is an obscure author. He doesn't have a website, at least not one that I could find, and his Goodreads page seems to conflate his work with that of several other people with the same name. This is probably why his book Red Moon Rising hasn't gotten a whole lot of press. It's a real shame, too, because this is excellent writing. It reaches above the usual love stories found in YA paranormal to give us a much deeper tale of bigotry and personal identity.

Read the full review at Lupines and Lunatics.
  LupLun | Mar 16, 2011 |
Imagine the US Civil Rights Movement era (post integration). Now replace skin color/race for species prejudice and you have the world of Red Moon Rising. Along with a half vamp-half wulf teen coming of age story, the resounding theme of this novel is prejudice. Vampires are the elite; smart, rich, and beautiful. Wulves are the bottom of the barrel; “deformed”, grungy and poor. Humans are somewhere in between the two; usually attempting to emulate the Vamps. The schools, despite their different schedules between day and night, are integrated, but no one is too happy about it and there are obvious clicks. The story follows Dante (aka – Danny) Gray who is half Vamp and half Wulf. Danny is getting older and his world flips upside down when his Wulf side starts to show in unexpected ways. Terrified of changing on the next full moon it is a race against time to discover just how much of a Wulf he really is. On top of all that, Danny is dealing with prejudice at school and his first real crush starting to notice him. What is an overwhelmed teen to do? The story was interesting and a quick read, but at times it dragged and I got a little tired of hearing about the speciest problems. I enjoyed Danny’s banter and attempts at humor even in stressful situations. I also liked the realistic action and ‘grittiness’ of the Wulf traits, but I would have been happier if it focused more on that than going off on other tangents. There is some romance, but it is not the main storyline. From the ending this story looks to be the first in a series. ( )
  seescootread | Jan 26, 2011 |

In a world where vampires dominate and werewolves are despised, a teenaged half-vampire discovers his recessive werewolf genes are developing with the approaching full moon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,122,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible