Twelfth Grade Kills by Heather Brewer

Twelfth Grade Kills

by Heather Brewer

The Council of Elders, having been informed that Tomas still lives, puts off Vlad's execution, providing Vlad the opportunity to try to set some things right.
  lkmuir | Oct 26, 2015 |
  Bookman1954 | Oct 23, 2015 |
Characters: Vladimir Tod, the main character, is half vampire and half human and he struggles a lot with the fact that he does not fit perfectly into both worlds. His parents die in a house fire when he is very young and he blames himself for that. He is a very nice, smart and caring boy. My only complaint about him was the fact that, to me, he didn't seem like he was 18 in this book. I had a really hard time picturing him and his friends as seniors in high school and had to keep reminding myself that he was 18, not 13. My favorite character would probably have to be Henry, Vlad's bestfriend/drudge. He is very funny and entertaining and he is extremely loyal to Vlad which are great characteristics to have. Despite only being human, he does manage to kill a few vampires along the way. Overall, the characters were interesting and fun to read about. Each had its own distinct personality and together they made the book better.

Relatability: Despite this being a vampire book, that is not all that it is about. It is about family, love and what a person will do in order to protect the people they care most about. Most people will do just about anything to save the people they love and that is the most relatable aspect of this book.

Cover: I really like the covers for these books. The cover changes as the characters in the book change. The first book takes place during Vlad's eighth grade year and the boy on the cover represents that. This book takes place during his senior year of high school and that is represented by the older version of Vlad on this cover. Also, the smiley face with the fangs is pretty cool. I like how for each book the smiley face is a different color.

Overall Impression: Not my favorite, but it concluded the series nicely. There were no unanswered questions and there was even a mini cliffhanger at the end! ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Brewer is exceptionally predictable. Absolutely nothing came as a surprise in this for me (not even the "surprise" in the final chapter). It's still a good book, it just isn't "fine literature." ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 21, 2012 |
I'm definitely not the target audience for this series, but I find it hard to believe it is so well liked by anyone. The idea has such great possibilities, but I felt Brewer spent too much time on mundane stuff and too little time on the parts that might have actually been interesting. Throughout the series, she'll present a conversation between Vlad and somebody that tells you very little (often is just repetitive of things we already know) and then she'll randomly skip four months and they will have an adventure that flies by too quickly that might have been quite interesting if she fleshed that part out.

Maybe her point was to dwell on the 'everyday' life of a teen half-vampire...but even for a series with titles by school year, the characters hardly spend any time in school in the last couple books. It's certainly not the focus so why lay them out that way? Marketing, I suppose.

Mostly, I was bored with the series and only finished all the books to see if she ever dealt with the one burning (pun totally intended) question I had that seemed it really should be answered. It was indeed mentioned in passing, with no answer - if Vlad is aging as a human through childhood, would he stop at some point or just continue to age? Is that the only way to kill him? He'll die of old age? That would be lame...at one point, Vlad wonders about his aging, but it is merely a paragraph and that's it.

There was possibility here for a really cool idea to be dealt with well. I don't think Brewer succeeded - the writing is OK, but not suspenseful and really, the whole series arc could have been told in two books or a trilogy, tops. It was dragged out and therefore too little was done in too many pages.

Sure, young male readers who don't want any kind of a challenge might like this series - although I would think many would be turned off by how much Vlad cries. ( )
  horomnizon | Aug 31, 2012 |
D'Ablo's flesh had almost completely healed from his blistering battle with the sun a year and a half before, but his hand...his hand was gone for good.

It all comes down to this.

Vlad’s running out of time. The Elysian Council has given him weeks to live, and that’s if the Slayer Society doesn’t kill him – along with all the citizens of Bathory – first. Then there’s the issue of Vlad’s father, who may or may not still be alive after all these years, and oh yeah, that tiny little detail in the Pravus prophecy about Vlad enslaving Vampirekind and the human race. So much for college applications.

In this epic finale to Heather Brewer’s heart-stopping Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, dark secrets will be revealed, old friends will become enemies, and warm blood will run cold. Just be careful it isn’t yours.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0525422242, 0143205188

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,894,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible