dismiss

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

Given his lifetime assignment at the Ceremony of Twelve, Jonas becomes the receiver of memories shared by only one other in his community and discovers the terrible truth about the society in which he lives.
    1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    The Owl Keeper by Christine Brodien-Jones (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Similarly brain-washy story about a controlled society and how the government tries to suppress the talented people who could break it all down and bring freedom and individualism.
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)

1990s (13)
foods (3)

English (1,382)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,394)
Disliked it back then,but looking back actually quite good. ( )
  Oldsbooksrule | May 21, 2020 |
This book... wow. How have I never read this before? It is great story-wise, but it is also a primer on how to write. There are so many things that we take for granted that we never assume they might be missing until someone tries to describe what it is like to experience them for the first time. And now I have to watch the movie to see if/how they manage to portray a lack of colors without making it obvious until Jonas finally learns about colors.

I think I like the ending. I like how ambiguous it is, how it leaves so much up to the imagination. Partly, of course, because imagination is not a part of Sameness, and so in that simple act of letting each of us imagine our own ending the book is proving the benefit of difference over Sameness.

One of the things that I really enjoyed about this book is how well it has aged. I can't tell from reading it when it was written. It reads like a timeless book, and not one connected to any one era or generation. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |

Jonas lives in a future society where all roles are assigned to each citizen for life at the age of twelve; parenting is sort of communal; thought and speech are rigidly controlled; and the dirty secret is euthanasia of the elderly, disabled and misfits. It's quite a short book, in the course of which Jonas allies with a wise old man whose role is to experience and retain painful memories so that the rest of the people won't be bothered; and eventually our hero escapes - but to what?

I am not sure that I rate it all that highly myself. I don't really see what Lowry is pushing back against, unless it's the general idea of conformity and sameness and a defence of individuality. Living as I do in a country with a relatively liberal euthanasia law, I think that subject can also be treated with more nuance than it gets here. Still, what do I know? It won the Newbery Medal. ( )
  nwhyte | May 3, 2020 |
great to have in the classroom library for the reader in your class. ( )
  CourtneyRay | Apr 21, 2020 |
The Giver is about a boy named Jonas who lives in a very different type of society. It is basically like living in a futuristic world that is perfect. Everyone is the same the most part, they don't have competition, and everyone gets along. At age 12 they all are given a job and that is job they do for the rest of their lives. they don't fall in love, they get assigned a spouse. They have certain people who give birth, they only get two children, and they have a certain way of them being raised. Death is not as much of a thing it is called being "released". Jonas is given the job of the Receiver. This job is much different than everyone else as there is only one every so often. These people receive the memories of the past. They can see color, and they have a different perception of life. This journey takes him to new places. He ends up loving a child that lives with them named Gabriel. He finds out, because Gabriel isn't acting like a perfect baby, that they are going to release him. Jonas wants to change things. He takes the baby and escapes his land. THey have to travel through horrible weather conditions but at the end they think they might see another land.

Window Book

I liked this book because it is a futuristic style book. It gives a glimpse of what the future might hold and I think would lead for good discussions in class. ( )
  MeaganRodriguez | Apr 6, 2020 |

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

When Jonas is given his Life Assignment as the Receiver of Memory, he discovers the terrible truth about the society he lives in.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,198,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible