The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry, Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)

1990s (7)

English (999)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,007)
The Giver was a very interesting book that gives a brand new perspective on how the world could be. One thing I liked about the story was the plot itself. It was very unique to have a society in which people have everything decided for them including their job and their parents. I could not imagine living in such a refined society, where I would be so limited. It is also hard to imagine being the only person in my society in control of having all of the bad memories that people have had. That would be a lot of pressure and also painful to see all of those bad memories, for example when Jonas finds out what his father is doing by “releasing” a newborn child. That would be a very damaging thing for me as it was for Jonas because it changes everything you have ever believed in life. I could sometimes see myself in Jonas because I also would want to save Gabe and escape this place, where everyone tries to be the same and has no power to choose what they want in life. The main message of the story is to show what it would be like to live in a society without choice or emotions. In this society everything was chosen and people were basically made into emotionless robots but Jonas saw the other part of society through memories. He could see what life was really like and how people actually live. This book makes me appreciate the choices I have in life, like what job I want to pursue and who I want in my life. ( )
  MManzo2 | Apr 28, 2015 |
I really liked this book for a few reasons. I generally hate science fiction books, but this one had a strong message that I liked which was the importance of memory, and that without memory, a person cannot have pain or pleasure, for they would not have recalled experiencing it. Another reason why I liked this book was because it had a unique plot. The story revolved around a utopia, in which everything appeared “perfect,” and there was no room for chaos because everything in life was in order and everyone lived the same life, under the same home, with the same rules. This plot certainly kept me interested and engaged the entire time. Lastly, I enjoyed that the main character, Jonas, was very well-developed. He was just a young boy who was given the opportunity to collect The Giver’s memories, meaning he could experience colors, holidays, weather, and animals, which no one else could do. Therefore, I liked that while Jonas was experiencing all of these things, I felt like I was too because every aspect of his life was well-developed. ( )
  akoches | Apr 27, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this story because of its plot and use of language. “The Giver” is a story about a boy named Jonas who lives in a world that we would consider to be a utopia. In this world people are assigned everything throughout their life. For example, a spouse is given to you, as well as a job. Everyone lives in the same type of home, and manages the same sort of lifestyle. Each year all the children grow up the same way. For instance, at age nine all children are able to get bicycles well as wear a front-buttoned jacket, to show independence. Even people’s names were assigned to them, basically in this world no one had a choice, but they did not know anything otherwise. When Jonas reached age twelve he was assigned the job as a receiver. This job was considered to be very high profiled, and no one knew much about it. Jonas learned that his new job required receiving memories from the giver, an old man who had a brain full of real life memories. It was Jonas’s job to take these memories from the giver, but to never tell anyone about them. The giver’s memories included recollections of holidays, colors, weather, animals; everything that was unknown to Jonas’s world. After learning about how horrible his town’s system was, Jonas decided to run away and never look back. I really enjoyed the plot because each chapter was like a cliffhanger, and I found myself wanting to keep on reading. Also, the plot was engaging and the overall story line kept me interested in wanting to find out the ending of the book. I liked the use of language in the story because it was very descriptive and I felt as though I could picture Jonas’s world. For example the text states, “Mirrors were rare in the community…Jonas had simply never bothered to look at himself…Now seeing the newchild and its expression, he was reminded that the light eyes were not only a rarity but gave the one who had them a certain look…he decided; as if one were looking into the clear water of the river, down to the bottom, where things might lurk which hadn’t been discovered yet. He felt self-conscious, realizing that he, too, had that look.” I love how the authors’ writing is so powerful and imaginable. Just reading that portion of the text, made me feel Jonas’s pain and wonder. I could picture him looking at the newchild and thinking about his own physical appearance.
The main idea of this book is to describe a world that lacks freedom and reality. It was so interesting to read about this fictional world, and what life was like without choices or options. The story made me feel thankful for the life that I have, and that I am in control of my own life. The characters in the book have their lives written out for them, and they have no say or power in regarding themselves. ( )
  ecahan1 | Apr 26, 2015 |
While I'm a number of decades from being a young adult (and this is a young adult book), I believe The Giver will stick with me for a long time. Behind the story is an idea I have to admit I had previously given little thought: while we may dream of utopias, they inevitably cannot be as utopian as we'd like. The Community portrayed in The Giver, while idyllic in many ways, cannot survive without substantial control being exercised. When you look at the cost wrought by that control, is life drained of such purpose and enjoyment as to be worth it? ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
I loved this book! I am typically not one to read a futuristic book, but this story grabbed and held onto my attention for all 179 pages. One reason why I liked this book is because it is full of descriptive language that truly allows the reader to visualize each scene despite the lack of pictures. One example of this descriptive language takes place on page 175. Lois Lowry writes, "But now the rapidly deepening snow obscured the narrow road and made the ride impossible. His front wheel moved forward imperceptibly as he pushed on the pedals with his numb, exhausted legs. But the bicycle stopped. It would not move." This descriptive language keeps the readers hanging onto each word to build upon their mental image and create an even more clear picture of what is happening. This descriptive language is used throughout the book to keep a continuous visual streaming in the reader's mind. Another aspect of this book that I enjoyed is the power that it has to make the readers think. Since the society that the story takes place in is so different from our present day society, readers must think about how they would feel in that situation. Seeing that so many of us complain about the amount of serious decisions we are faced with in life, this story shows us what it could be like if our decisions were taken from us. Would I like it if my job was decided for me? Would I like it if the number of children I would have was decided for me? Would I like it if color did not exist and we all looked the same? This book calls for a great deal of thinking and reflection on the reader's part, allowing them to become immersed in the text and their thoughts.

The big idea of the book is to show the fine line between freedom and security. ( )
  CarrieHardesty | Apr 25, 2015 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowry, Loismain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:11 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,798,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible