The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (1), Passeur (1)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)

1990s (9)
foods (3)

English (1,164)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,172)
What do you do with an unexpected gift? Jonas had felt and feared that he was different and when it came to selection time he knew his path was going to be different from his family. Jonas had been given the role of giver within his community -- the one who holds the memories of his community. In Jonas's world where roles are defined and emotions are controlled, Jonas decides to take different path to save another. The Giver transports the reader into another world of rules and possibilities with vivid descriptions. ( )
  trippd | Jul 25, 2016 |
The Giver is a story that tells us of a future society that has made personal choice obsolete. Jonas, after being selected for a position that allows him access to the truth, discovers that it didn't always work like this and decides it doesn't need to now. With the help of The Giver the two hatch a plan to change their society and bring feelings back. The plan is completely changed when Jonas has to leave in the middle of the night to save a young child's life.

When I read this story in the sixth grade I remember being awed by the author's tone and completely drawn in. Reading it as an adult I was drawn into the larger aspect of society's control and the desire for "sameness". The main difference between reading then and now was that I am not as sure Jonas and Gabriel actually found a town with lights and music and now question if it was the author's metaphor of their deaths.

This story would be great to use in a class of middle school aged children. The students could do a writing assignment that discusses their ideas of what was good about Jonas's community and what was not good. Students could also be separated into groups and tasked with creating their own "utopian" society's which would give great insight to what the younger minds believe plague our current world. ( )
  erinowens217 | Jul 24, 2016 |
A favorite since I first read it in high school, I come back to it every few years. This time, I read it because we watched the recent movie. Which changed too much of the book to be good, despite holding mostly true to the theme. The book, however, using simple language to create a complex world, a world that seems possible. Worth reading. ( )
  empress8411 | Jul 16, 2016 |
  empress8411 | Jul 16, 2016 |
George Orwell meets philosophy. The ending is a good fit to the rest of the book, but leaves me begging for more. ( )
  ralu1150 | Jul 15, 2016 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,491,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible