The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry, Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot

1990s (10)
foods (3)

English (1,029)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,037)
  Robinjhud | Jul 24, 2015 |
The movie was okay, but the book just does such a great job of inviting you into this futuristic world. I like how Lois Lowry takes an utopian world, at least to everyone but the keeper of memories, and allows us to see what would happen if we let go of all the memories. People develop a sense of right and wrong, and feel true emotions. ( )
  Lynchd | Jul 20, 2015 |
adolescence
Science fiction
Author study
  josephla | Jul 19, 2015 |
An eye opener that's for sure. A society hidden from the rest of the world with one boy who has earned the job as the receiver. A great book that shows a rebellion of some sort by a boy who gained knowledge that has been hidden from the people living a dull life. For sure a great book with emotional struggles that comes from understanding the ruthlessness of their society's government.
  jesse_valli | Jul 19, 2015 |
4/5 stars
I post all my reviews to athroneofbooks.booklikes.com

A popular dystopian book written for young adults, though I believe many adults would enjoy the world that Lois Lowry has invented here. It’s a strict utopia where pain and sorrow are all but forgotten. They have their life partners, children, and occupations chosen for them by a committee within the society that observes them closely to make the best matches.

Jonas has been chosen to become the new receiver, the holder of the memories, and the only person who knows what life was like before and what it could be again. He sees how shallow their existence is since the sameness took effect. What Jonas calls everyday life I see as a living nightmare, no choices to make, no feelings, no color. Life is…boring because it’s safer that way.

This was a great start to a series I’ve been meaning to read for ages. A quick and enjoyable read that’s suitable for all ages. I can’t wait to read Gathering Blue! ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jul 15, 2015 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowry, Loismain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,406,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible