The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse by Brian Farrey (CurrerBell)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)

1990s (8)
foods (3)

English (1,265)  German (4)  Italian (3)  French (2)  English (Middle) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All (1,278)
This book introduced me to the amazing world of dystopian novels that to this day I cannot break away from nor do I want to.

This novel is about an isolated society that blinds it's people with promises of a life without pain or emotions by converting to "sameness". There is no color, memories, emotions, climate or rolling landscape. It is flat just like its people with absolutely no individuality. Everyone is assigned a job when they turn 12 at a ceremony without choice. Babies are genetically engineered and assigned to families, biological relation is non existent. The elders head this society and are always right.

Jonas, a 12 year old boy, assigned to the job of keeper of memory, is opened up to the world before the sameness. Jonas crashes into emotions he has never felt and his brain is rushed with history that has long been hushed. He is allowed to lie and hide things which was previously frowned upon. Memories uncover dark mysteries that have Jonas is in a battle to do what he feels is right. ( )
  Jychelle88 | Oct 16, 2017 |
Many think that this book is a sci-fi type of book, howevere, it is actually a mystery. There are not many mystery books out there for 6th grade boys to read so I think this book is a good read for them to get into the genre of mysteries. ( )
  mackenzieshep | Oct 8, 2017 |
i simply loved the book, its a simple book that won't consume time to finish, on top of that it got me all excited for the other sequels, I'm hoping the rest would be as good and better, because im actually really curious on what will to baby gabi and jones ( )
  swf_ | Oct 5, 2017 |
I thought this book was extremely original and grabbed my attention, and held me there through the entire book. I was a little disappointed with the ending, however. I probably should read some discussion on it and see what others thought. ( )
  shanagorian | Oct 3, 2017 |
The only way I can describe this book is this way: Illuminating but disturbing, couldn't put it down but kinda wanted to, crazy but weird, loved it but didn't like it. ( )
  ChurchMouse70 | Sep 21, 2017 |
I first read this book in high school and recently re-read it after watching the movie. I forgot just how scary it is too read about a world so different from our own. It also made me thankful that we are able to have the choices that we have. This book is great for students because it teaches children to think outside of the box. They can imagine a world that is different from their own reality. This book could be used in a variety of different ways. For instance, students could have literature circles then create their own type of community.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible