The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry, Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)

1990s (7)

English (996)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,004)
While I'm a number of decades from being a young adult (and this is a young adult book), I believe The Giver will stick with me for a long time. Behind the story is an idea I have to admit I had previously given little thought: while we may dream of utopias, they inevitably cannot be as utopian as we'd like. The Community portrayed in The Giver, while idyllic in many ways, cannot survive without substantial control being exercised. When you look at the cost wrought by that control, is life drained of such purpose and enjoyment as to be worth it? ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
I loved this book! I am typically not one to read a futuristic book, but this story grabbed and held onto my attention for all 179 pages. One reason why I liked this book is because it is full of descriptive language that truly allows the reader to visualize each scene despite the lack of pictures. One example of this descriptive language takes place on page 175. Lois Lowry writes, "But now the rapidly deepening snow obscured the narrow road and made the ride impossible. His front wheel moved forward imperceptibly as he pushed on the pedals with his numb, exhausted legs. But the bicycle stopped. It would not move." This descriptive language keeps the readers hanging onto each word to build upon their mental image and create an even more clear picture of what is happening. This descriptive language is used throughout the book to keep a continuous visual streaming in the reader's mind. Another aspect of this book that I enjoyed is the power that it has to make the readers think. Since the society that the story takes place in is so different from our present day society, readers must think about how they would feel in that situation. Seeing that so many of us complain about the amount of serious decisions we are faced with in life, this story shows us what it could be like if our decisions were taken from us. Would I like it if my job was decided for me? Would I like it if the number of children I would have was decided for me? Would I like it if color did not exist and we all looked the same? This book calls for a great deal of thinking and reflection on the reader's part, allowing them to become immersed in the text and their thoughts.

The big idea of the book is to show the fine line between freedom and security. ( )
  CarrieHardesty | Apr 25, 2015 |
I found the set-up and the basic concept interesting. The Giver's deceptively simplistic language reveals a rather horrifying dystopian world. Based on Plato's Republic, it puts more emphasis on the dark side of Plato’s vision rather than the obligations of the Philosopher Kings to fix things. Certainly well-written, I found the book a little too preachy and simplistic. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Apr 22, 2015 |
I love this book. It's about an attempt to make a perfect world after mass wars. But we all know that there is no such thing as PERFECT. The main character Jonas decides to think for himself after being named as the successor for the keeper of memories. The things that are transferred to his mind help to set in motion a series of events that will change everyone's lives. But will it be for the better? This is a good example of the butterfly effect. ( )
  kat32969 | Apr 20, 2015 |
What would you do if one day you woke up and you were in a world with no feelings, no color, no imagination, no passion, no love, and no sense of identity? Would you feel a sense of emptiness? Well, this is the life that Jonas lives in the book The Giver by Lois Lowry. Jonas is an eleven-year-old boy with an innate sense of feeling like he doesn’t quite belong. Jonas lives in this community where family is non existent, feelings are prohibited and exterminated every morning through the smallest dose of medication that kill emotions, and his career is decided for him at the age of twelve. Jonas lives his life in a way that is much different than his peers- he questions society, constantly thinking and asking himself… is there more? Are we missing it? When Jonas turns twelve, he is given the position of the Receiver- this is a very honorable position that is extremely important. Jonas is going to be trained and filled with the knowledge of what feelings from the past were- Christmas, love, dancing, death, anger, jealousy, hate, adoration, lust, etc. Jonas, through the training of the Giver, was going to receive all of these emotions and memories that had been exterminated from the community so that he can have a deep understanding for his community members as to why they got rid of emotions, and why they live in the community that they do. Through this training, Jonas realizes that the community that he lives in is extremely messed up. What is a world without love? Without pain? Without FEELINGS? It is an emotionless and meaningless jumble of activities and hours spent of doing nothing important all congregated together. In this novel, Jonas is on the mission to find something more, to feel something more, and he will do whatever it takes to end this hell that he lives in… even if that costs him his life, and the love of his existence.
  KaylaAnn715 | Apr 20, 2015 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lowry, Loismain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:11 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,727,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible