The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

chapter book (87) children (129) children's (249) children's literature (197) classic (131) classics (91) coming of age (152) dystopia (891) dystopian (286) euthanasia (85) family (112) fantasy (614) fiction (1,474) future (181) futuristic (123) juvenile (75) memories (160) memory (105) Newbery (330) Newbery Medal (440) novel (172) own (91) read (330) science fiction (1,199) society (95) to-read (163) utopia (278) YA (449) young adult (776) young adult fiction (104)
    1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot

English (860)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (865)
Summary: This book is about a kid who is born in a society that does not allow emotions or free thinking. A boy by the name of Jonas was chosen to be the next giver. The giver is someone who is able to pass emotions and feelings through physical contact.

Personal Reaction: I was confused at first, but after aqhile I understood it a lot better. I thought the book was ok. I don't know if I would recommend it, but it was ok.

Classroom Extention Ideas:
1) Ask the class if they could create their own society, what would it be?

2) Print off pages from the book and have the class do some found poetry.

3) Have the class imagine a scene from the book. Have them draw and color it the way they think it would look like in reality. ( )
  ElizabethJackson7 | Apr 22, 2014 |
Wow wow wow just wow The Giver was just a phenomenal read for me I just really really loved and enjoyed it so much! I have to say I was a little hesitate to read this book because of the utopian world in it I only read one book that was base of a utopian world that I disliked it so much that I gave it a two stars I was highly disappointed with that book that's why I was a little hesitate with The Giver! but I decided to give it a try for two reason the 1st reason because I want to see the film when it comes out in the movie theaters this summer plus it comes out the month of my Birthday! the 2nd reason is because I heard nothing but great raving reviews about it that it peek my interest and I wanted to give it a shot! Ohh boy I am so glad and happy that I did I just loved everything about this book especially Jonas and The Giver the both of them are my all time favorite characters they were the only ones that were not the same as like everybody in there community and there own family members and they both showed there true emotions and feelings about the community it was just a Fantastic read for me that I highly recommend it to all my family and friends! Well Until Next Time My Friends! ( )
  Katiria_Rodriguez | Apr 22, 2014 |
ÛÏThe worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.‰Û

Such an important message conveyed in this short book. A message stressing the importance of choices, life is nothing without feelings and the capacity to feel, life is experiencing pleasure and pain or it isn't really life. Wonderful philosophical provocative read. Jonas demonstrates a maturity beyond his years, he is brave and opens his eyes to a 'reality' ceasing to exist until new found knowledge is discovered. Lowry succeeds in launching the reader from a utopian to a dystopian society swiftly. The ending leaves the reader lost in thought on its meaning, loads of interpretation to be decoded.

‰ÛÏFor the first time, he heard something that he knew to be music. He heard people singing. Behind him, across vast distances of space and time, from the place he had left, he thought he heard music too. But perhaps, it was only an echo.‰Û ( )
  Melinda_H | Apr 22, 2014 |

Melinda_H | Apr 22, 2014 |
The Giver centers around Jonas, a young boy who lives in a society that has eliminated pain and emotional depth from its members' lives. ( )
  WizardsofWorch | Apr 21, 2014 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:11 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,577,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible