The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (1993)

by Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver Quartet (1)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot

English (942)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  English (Middle) (1)  French (1)  All languages (949)
I liked this book a lot. This book really shows the reader how life would be without “feelings” (It doesn’t look fun). The plot is well played out and really brought me in as a reader. Society was tired of war and fighting, so they made everyone the same. No one was to have feelings like love and pain. They also would see in black and white with no vibrant colors. Quotes like “We gained control of many things. But we had to let go of others”. The book does a great job revealing that this may not be the best way to live. The writing flows very well and I was never bored while reading, (sometimes that happens). The language was pretty much the same throughout until “the receiver” started receiving memories. That’s when the book took a turn. Even in the book they talk about how there really wasn’t any language between the people of this place. “Even trained for years as they all had been in precision of language, what words could you use which would give another the experience of sunshine”. They wouldn’t even have been able to describe sunshine! The characters are awesome especially the main one, Jonas. AS a reader you get to see him grow and learn that there is more to life than what society is allowing him. You get to see this through his out rage of what happens when people leave and what he has been missing out on his whole life, “sled riding, fun, color”. The big idea of this book to me was that even though society wants us to all be the same, its not our only choice. BE YOURSELF!
  JordanMyers | Nov 19, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite books so, of course, I love it! I love the imagery and concept of the story. The imagery adds to the overall understanding of the story because some parts may seem dull without the imagery. For example, when Jonas begins to receive the memories, if there was no imagery it would be boring to read because how could we visualize what he is seeing. Another thing I enjoy about the book is how it describes a world where emotions basically do not exist which people cannot imagine because our world is full of emotions. It keeps me wanting to know more because how can someone live their life without emotion and having their life in place by the time their born. The overall meaning of the book is to be true to one’s self. Do not be afraid to go out of your comfort zone or go against the grain because you may get in trouble but it will end up better in the end. ( )
  Madison94 | Nov 18, 2014 |
In my opinion, I think that this was a fantastic book for a few reasons. First, I loved the plot of the book. It was unique and engaging, and I believe that Lowry did a magnificent job! It was so interesting to read about this Community that was so strict and controlling of its people. People lived a life without color, emotions, or differences. Everything was the same in this world. Second, I thought that the use of imagery was very helpful in parts of the book. For example, it was interesting to see how Lowry described this Community and how people that live there were so similar to one another. The theme of ‘sameness’ was reiterated throughout the book, and it was interesting to see how Jonas was able to break the barrier between what he knew and what the Community was keeping from its people. After reading this story, I believe that the big idea is to highlight the importance of following your own path rather than conforming to what society expects you to be. ( )
  GaiaGonzales | Nov 18, 2014 |
I think one of the main messages of The Giver is to be careful who we put our trust in and who we let hold power over us. I think that it is about being yourself no matter what anyone tells you, and that you should create your own path to follow.
I liked this book a lot, especially the writing style. The author uses incomplete sentences multiple times throughout the book. For example she writes, “There’s nothing we can do. It’s always been this way. Before me, before you, before the ones who came before you. Back and back and back.” The last 2 sentences of that quote are incomplete sentences, but it makes the reader's thoughts flow better making the whole story flow better.
I also liked the word choices the author chose. She uses very descriptive adjectives and higher level synonyms for common words. For example she writes, “We failed in our last selection,” the Chief Elder said solemnly. “It was ten years ago, when Jonas was just a toddler. I will not dwell on the experience because it causes us all terrible discomfort.” Words like solemnly, dwell, discomfort are all words that make the story higher level and sets the tone of the story. I think she uses good adjectives that help set the scene of the story more vividly. ( )
  JamieLewis | Nov 17, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this story for many reasons. First, the setting is extremely interesting. The world that the characters live in is one that is almost not relatable. Learning about how they lived was truly fascinating. For example, these people live in a world that does not have color. Reading about this was interesting because I could not imagine a world that does not have things that are so familiar such as color.

Next, I enjoyed Jonas’ personality and character traits in general. As he learned through his received memories, that sameness is not a great way to live, he stood up for what he thought was right and left the community, saving his baby brother. When he learned that release was actually killing individuals, he no longer wanted to live in his community, which I found to be an admirable character trait. I liked that through his job as the receiver of memories, readers were able to understand all that their community was blind to, such as war, love, feelings, colors, etc.

I think the main idea of this book is that no matter how much pain there is in the world, sacrificing the things that are important will not make the world a better place. Through the character development and plot/setting development I think the author did a really good job at portraying this theme/ main idea. ( )
  sarahwarner329 | Nov 17, 2014 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:11 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

4 2067

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,943,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible