The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2002)

by Lois Lowry

Member:melydia
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (2002), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Read and Kept
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, fantasy

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse by Brian Farrey (CurrerBell)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)

1990s (8)
foods (3)

English (1,320)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (1,334)
The Giver, the 1994 Newbery Medal winner, has become one of the most influential novels of our time. The haunting story centers on twelve-year-old Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community. Lois Lowry has written three companion novels to The Giver, including Gathering Blue. (amazon)
  zahanse1 | Dec 11, 2018 |
This chapter book is about the main character Jonas who lives in a sheltered community where everything is in gray tones and do not see color. When Jonas turns 12 he is assigned the job of the receiver in which he is suppose to keep the memories of the past. Jonas is mentored by an older wise man and transfers them by the touch of a hand. Overall the moral of the story is that people should keep memories of their life because they are important. The audience of this book is young adults who are independent readers. ( )
  always_smile_jo | Nov 26, 2018 |
I read this one for school, poor me huh? ;-) You can check out my brief review on the blog I created for class, The Librarian Who Lived. I enjoyed this one. I forgot how much I love well written dystopian fiction. I wasn't particularly enthralled with the writing but it was paced really well. My only complaint is the ending, did it really have to be that ambiguous? That being said Lowry certainly does deserve a lot of credit for pioneering YA dystopian fiction. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
When Jonas turns 12 he will be assigned to his life's work by a group of elders in his Utopian society. He will become "The Receiver," which means holding all of the past memories of the collective society passed along to him by The Giver. He will be the only one to experience pain, suffering, and joy in a world of sameness. The memories allow him to begin to see color and make a choice that will impact his and his society's fate.
  jek73 | Nov 16, 2018 |
The Giver provides a look into what a perfect society that has failed would look like. The text challenges the reader in attempting to understand a different world. The reader will have to make inferences throughout the book in order for them to better comprehend the book. The material is well written and provides thought-provoking information and new vocabulary. ( )
  brittburditt | Nov 15, 2018 |

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

When Jonas is given his Life Assignment as the Receiver of Memory, he discovers the terrible truth about the society he lives in.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,815,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible