The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2002)

by Lois Lowry

24,795119944 (4.19)596
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:young adult fiction, 9-to-12 fiction, dystopia

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse by Brian Farrey (CurrerBell)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)

1990s (9)
foods (3)

English (1,186)  Italian (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (1,197)
The giver has a great outlook on life. This book teaches the readers that everyone is different and has different emotions. The readers begin the realize that it is okay to be different and still be friends with other people. This book would be great for the start of the year, bring inclusion to students. The giver is apropicate for children around the age of 10 or 11 and up. ( )
  JennaHall | Oct 18, 2016 |
I really enjoyed re-reading this story. One of the reasons I liked this book because it was about a dystopia, which really made me think of life differently. It opened a new perspective for me on being "normal" in society. In the book, the main character was different from everyone because he could see differently then what society saw. In addition, I liked the imagery that was included throughout the book. When the main character was shown these "memories" the narrator went into extremely vivid detail about the colors and feelings he was witnessing. The main message in the book is that it's normal for people to be different ( )
  AlexaLevine | Oct 18, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book because I liked that the story was set in utopian society. It gives the reader a different outlet on how we live our lives and kind of makes readers realize how lucky we are allowed to express ourselves and feel emotions freely. The message of the story is be grateful for differences and emotions because in this story the people in the futuristic world are rid of all bad things like pain, fear, war, and hatred. There is no prejudice in the society because everyone is exactly the same. The language used is not too difficult for young reader ages 11 and up. Overall i think that this was a great book with a great story.
  Sierra_Lawson | Oct 16, 2016 |
Cinque stelle quasi piene.
Forse un po' corto ma commovente e lungimirante oltre ogni immaginazione...
  Crissy8686 | Oct 6, 2016 |
"The Giver" is a very interesting book that takes the reader into a new dimension, almost. It is a little bit confusing, but a very interesting book to read.
" The Giver" takes place in the future:Sameness. There is a committee and that committee assigns jobs, rules and regulations. Since birth, the population among this Community has been instructed and perfected to follow "normal" regulations. People apply to have children--they are not their own and together they call it a Family Unit. This dimension or future is very repetitive and follows the same routine. The main character: Jonas has a big celebration---- celebration of Twelves. He is about to turn 12, which in this community is adulthood training. At his ceremony, he is not called to take an Assignment (a job assigned for the rest of his life), instead he is "selected" to be the next 'Receiver'.

As he begins to train for his new job, by the old Receiver of Memories- he begins to absorb his dreams and memories. Jonas was unaware of the new responsibilities of this job. The transfer of the memories from the Giver was opened Jonas' mind to the unknown and past. Jonas is now aware of what civilization used to be, what life used to be, and the uniqueness of being an individual.
His new information has sprung an idea to the Giver and Jonas. Together they come up with a dangerous plan to bring that information and feelings back to the community---but Jonas must flee (a forbidden rule). Jonas' journey in this future dimension has caused him to grow and experience emotions that he had never expected to do.

This book's twisted plot and story line is so strange. I loved the concept of living in a world where there is no individuality. How much people take for granted and the reasons behind why the future world is the way it is described in the book: control and protection.

Students would be open to new concepts about the world we live in and may come up with new ideas about how to deal with the problems we are experiencing today: war, poverty, selfishness, ect. This book brings those ideas in the mind of the reader and how the author thought it would be changed or handle. It is a very good and easy to read book for a 5th grader or older. ( )
  kimgalv | Oct 4, 2016 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,759,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible