The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Lois Lowry

Member:327338
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (1993), Kindle Edition, 192 pages

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot

English (895)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (900)
For a contributing citizen to be released from the community was a final decision, a terrible punishment, an overwhelming statement of failure.

Surprisingly I never had to read The Giver when I was in school. I decided to read it now before the movie version comes out so that I could compare the two should I decide to see the movie. While I did enjoy this book I did not enjoy the ending. I'll get more into the ending later but first let's discuss what comes before.

Jonas was definitely a good character to follow as he becomes the new Receiver. It was interesting to read his reactions to his sessions with the Giver and see how they affected his view of his community. I thought the community was really interesting and would have loved to have learned more about it, specifically the different jobs the people had, as opposed to always following Jonas.

I hate ambiguous endings. When I read a book I want resolution and I want an end. I don't want to have to make up my own version of what I thought happened. (The only ambiguous type ending that I actually enjoyed was Gone With the Wind, that left readers wondering whether Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara will end up together again.) The ending of this book was definitely left to the interpretation of the reader. I felt so invested in the story and couldn't wait to see what happened with Jonas and what happened with the community that this ending felt abrupt and not satisfying.

Overall I felt that this was an interesting read and I do feel that this would be a perfect book for highschoolers to read. I'm sure other people have made more in-depth reviews of this book with much more insight than mine but all I can really say is that I enjoyed this and would definitely recommend that everyone, sometime in their life, read this book. ( )
  dpappas | Aug 12, 2014 |
It is the concept of this book that really drives you, not necessarily the writing or actual plot. The story is one that starts discussions, brings thoughts of "what if" to mind. It is a brilliant idea, with an ending that is not quite an ending, making those who take the subject seriously want to dive quickly into the next book of the series. ( )
  mirrani | Aug 10, 2014 |
Huh to the what?! Makes zero sense why this book is so popular. Chalk it up to a lame fad. Story was minimally interesting with flat ,non-descript characters. I'll pass. ( )
  abigail33 | Aug 10, 2014 |
This was an okay read. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't good enough for me to go see the film. It just wasn't. I may or may not read the rest of the trilogy. ( )
  mreed61 | Aug 10, 2014 |
I liked this book until the end- which sucked!
I'm not in for Hollywood type endings and don't know how she could have ended this, but I really disliked
this ending.
The story seemed to led one to a hopeful righting of wrongs, a striving of what's right only to fall flat - thus, is the answer don't even try? why bother? - because it won't do any good anyway!?????? ( )
1 vote KarenHerndon | Aug 6, 2014 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:11 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

4 1987

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible