The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Lois Lowry

Member:327338
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (1993), Kindle Edition, 192 pages

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot

English (888)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (893)
"The Giver" is a dystopian novel for young adults. Jonah, the main character, is a 12 year old raised in a world that is literally flat. The hills have been levelled, there are no colors, and no music Politeness is legally mandatory. When Jonah is given his life assignment, he discovers the horrible truth holding up this strange society. It reads best as a parable about totalitarianism and political correctness.

HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
I can imagine how, had I been a younger reader, I might have begun reading The Giver and thought this family has it pretty good. Look how well they communicate and get along! It takes an adult's insight and knowledge to immediately see past the narrator's contentment with his lot and to perceive how restricted his life is. This society doesn't impose its restrictions in an ominous way, as in The Hunger Games; rather it's conditioned and self-imposed, which makes it that much more insidious and difficult to change as the hero discovers to his horror. This is the primary takeaway for readers: that we can become our own jailors through forgetting our history, through becoming too self-insulated, from playing life too safely. For a YA audience perhaps the author could have been more explicit in stating why this is wrong, why a life of safety and comfort could ever be a bad thing, but for an adult she has carefully measured this message out to just the right degree. ( )
  Cecrow | Jul 14, 2014 |
Read this when I was younger, but it's still one of my favorite books. Definitely a story that sticks with you no matter what your age. Captivating story that really leaves you wanting more. Please read before you see the movie. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
This book fascinated me when I was a kid. I read it sometime in middle school, but I'm not going to bother figuring out what year it was. Apparently it fascinated a lot of other people as well, but it's one of those books that sticks out from my middle school years. ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
I wasn't sure what to expect going in. Loved the slow reveal of what was really going on, though. And after reading Lowry's Newberry speech about it, I also really appreciated the ending, although I wasn't sure what to make of that when I finished the book initially.

Missed reading it as a kid, and I'm so glad I went back for it as an adult, especially before the hype for the movie spoiled the story for me. ( )
  ConnieJo | Jul 7, 2014 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:11 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

4 1961

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,602,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible