The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2002)

by Lois Lowry

Member:Dawntreader7
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse by Brian Farrey (CurrerBell)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)

1990s (8)
foods (3)

English (1,237)  German (4)  Italian (3)  French (2)  English (Middle) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All (1,250)
This is a novel about a boy name Jonas that lives in a futuristic society where everyone has a job and they coexist in a perfect rhythm free from pain and strife. Jonas, when he turns 12 is given the task of being the memory keeper for the whole community and all that comes with that. This is an excellent story that has a plotline that engages the reader in the workings of this world that Jonas lives in. ( )
  canderson15 | Apr 29, 2017 |
This book is about a "perfect" society with crazy standards that taking away all emotions will create the perfect environment for no pain but its trying to tell us what we would be missing as well. This could be used in the classroom where students could create there own set of "rules" in their own Utopian society.
  Lisamegis | Apr 25, 2017 |
I liked this book for a number of reasons, the first being the plot. The book is about a boy named Jonas who seems to live in a utopian society. When he is selected to be the next receiver of memory he learns things that shock him. This leads you to the big message, which focuses on the importance of individuality and memory. The plot in this book is suspenseful and organized. It left me wanting more. Another thing I love about this book is the character development of Jonas since this is told through third person; the readers are looking at Jonas from an outsiders view and trying to make sense of all that he is learning along with him. Lastly, the ending of the book is something that I both like and dislike. It is frustrating not knowing for sure what happened to Jonas and Gabriel. But at the same time, Lowry left out the ending so that we as the readers could create our own. ( )
  awelch12 | Apr 24, 2017 |
Summary:
This story follows a 12 year old boy named Jonas who seems to live in a Utopian world. Jonas is selected to be the next "Receiver of Memory," which is the person who stores all of the memories before the Sameness. While Jonas was learning the role and responsibility of the "Receiver", Jonas felt the world he lives in is unbearable. At last he chose to leave that community.
Review:
This is a great novel whose genre is science fiction, because the story talks about the future. It describes a Utopia in the future based on reasonable imagination
Thee story impressed me a lot because it seems like describing a Utopia, but a dystopia. I begin to think which kind of world is people real want: a grey world without pain, sorrow and any other feelings, or a colourful world with painful and sorrow memories? I think the answer is obvious. However, there may be some people think the first world is beneficial for people's living and the world's development. That is a controversial question for me that needs to be kept thinking.
Comments on use:
Introducing the features of the specific genre science fiction;
leading students to a fantasy world which seems like a realistic world;
Encourage them to think about the future world and people's life under the highly developed society.
Age appropriateness:
middle school
  ShanGao | Apr 23, 2017 |
Summary: This story is about people will live in a perfect community in the future. In the furture world, people won't have pain or fear or terrible memories, everything is under control. But people also lost their happy memories like color, happiness and the sense of love. Each community will have a giver who is the only one holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. The protagonist is a twelve years old boy, he is assigned to be the new Giver, when he recived parts of memories from the old Giver, he believes all of people should own their memories no matter it was good or bad. Therefore, he chooses to leave his community so that these memories can go back to people's memory.
Genre: Science fiction. Because the story takes place in a future world, with scientific advancements that are not possible in today's world.
Age app: middle school, high school
Media: ink ( )
  carolinechen0608 | Apr 22, 2017 |
This book examines a utopian society thoroughly and fairly; it is this fairness that makes the novel so riveting and thought-provoking, and so perfect for triggering discussions. The author is true to her determination not to stack the deck for readers; the ending is deliberately ambiguous, with allegorical overtones, leaving readers to decide what they want to believe.

Jonas' world is very appealing. The community runs by common agreement to its rules; some freedom is sacrificed for security; joy, for avoidance of misery. The choices, which provide the catalyst for discussion, all involve one central decision: to forgo the highs of life in order to get rid of the lows -- to find the middle way. There is a lot to be said for this, though Jonas, speaking presumably for the author, ultimately rejects it. Some children will agree with Jonas, but others will find themselves attracted to a life that is uniformly pleasant, if never exhilarating.

Thanks...
added by johnsmithsen | editDesain Taman Minimalis (Feb 11, 2017)

Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,893,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible