The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2002)

by Lois Lowry

Member:Dawntreader7
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1990s (7)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)

English (961)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (969)
This was such an enjoyable little read, and after reading Shade's Children by Garth Nix I did see a connection ... which is funny, thinking about the two stories because they are pretty unrelated. I think it was the age limit ... You're a child up to this point and your entire existence up to this point is to train for adulthood ... or in the case of Shade's Children not so much adulthood.

If I understand correctly, The Giver was made into a movie? I'm definitely curious how it was done and will have to look for it! I'm so curious how old the movie made the parents if "adulthood" started at 12!!

I really enjoyed this book. I may keep it ...
Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Jan 29, 2015 |
This book was just ok for me. Maybe my expectations were too high after seeing all the awards this story won? I can't fault the writing style as that is quite good, (in a straight-forward way), but the story itself is just not all that original. It struck me as a YA version of Logan's Run with elements of Brave New World.

The weird magical realism of the "Giving" and "Receiving" of memories was also very strange. How that came to be was not explained at all. There was no mechanics behind it. It just was. On the other hand, there was plenty of explanation of how The Community had been formed so leaving out a cause for the titular aspect of the world created here struck me as odd.

All in all, the whole thing just rang too false for me to suspend my logical brain and fall completely into the story. On the plus side, this is a short book with decent characterization, and there is an interesting central mystery, but the abrupt and ambiguous ending left me somewhat unsatisfied.

I'm going to check out the next book in the 'Giver Quartet' to see where Lowry takes it from here. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jan 26, 2015 |
Both the movie and the book completely captivated me and made my mind reel. The thought of a world without experiencing the things that I take for granted every day is terrifying and completely unfathomable. I love the characters and their interactions and seeing the changes from beginning to end (though the first bits between the Giver and Jonas are a bit uncomfortable to me). It is fascinating to see concepts such as euthanasia and murder in such a light that the characters honestly don't even know that what they are doing is wrong (as long as it is done in the right way). Watching Jonas' character growth and struggles was well worth the read and I am looking forward to picking up another book in the quartet. ( )
  CSTaylor24 | Jan 17, 2015 |
This book haunts me, and that's the mark of a truly amazing book ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
The Giver is a book about a boy named Jonas and his life in the dystopian The Community. The book starts with Jonas and his family sitting around the dinner table talking about the feelings they had felt that day. This was a daily ritual that everyone did. It is a few weeks from the ceremony of twelve where the children of the community become adults and Jonas is in it. When it is time for the ceremony Jonas is nervous about what job he would be assigned to for the rest of his life. It turns out that Jonas is to be the Receiver of Memory, an important but mysterious job. On his first day to work Jonas meets a strange man who calls himself the Giver. The Giver explains that his job is to contain all the memories of the old world deemed to dangerous for public use such as weather, pain, war, hills and even color. The Giver slowly transfers all these memories to Jonas. Jonas becomes confused and wonders why these memories should be kept from the community. Then he finds out what happens to people who have been "released". To be released from the community you either have to become very old, break rules or be an infant who is thought to not grow up as a productive community member. Jonas discovers that when someone is released that they are put to death. This is too much for Jonas so he leaves the community along with Gabriel, a baby that was soon to be released. As they leave the community all the memories that the Giver gave to Jonas start to disappear. The book ends with Jonas desperately clinging to memories of love and music.

The Giver i think is an amazing book and it deserves all of its praise. I was confused about the community at first but i began to understand later on in the book when Jonas began to see colors and have actuall bonafide emotions. I thought at first that the entire society was evil and corrupt but then i realized, they didn't really know what they were doing. When Jonas's father realased an infant just because it was a twin he just whistled and carried on with his day. I am confused on how the Giver transfered memories though, they do not explain in the book so i guess we may never know.This book i think is a great piece of literature that shows us to be grateful for the small things in life. ( )
  justiceb.B1 | Jan 13, 2015 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:11 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,128,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible