The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

24,948121944 (4.19)604
Member:X-Style
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2006), Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:sameness, louis, lowry, the, giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse by Brian Farrey (CurrerBell)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)

1990s (9)
foods (3)

English (1,204)  Italian (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  English (1,215)
This book is another one that allows readers to escape to a fantasy world. In this fiction book, a society is created where all pain and suffering is ended and everyone has converted to sameness. This is a great book to do as a whole class read aloud to teach students about their emotions, even the bad ones, and their importance. It will also teach students about expressing themselves and having a sense of individuality.
  Jordan.Francies | Nov 29, 2016 |
Genre: Newberry
Summary: The world Jonas lives in is simple. The Council advisors dictate his community to the point of no emotion, color, or expression. Everybody is uniform, and everything is the same. But, that all changes for Jonas when he is chosen to be the new Reciever. The giver holds all the memories from the past to advise for the future. It is his job to pass these on to Jonas and prepare for his new role. Though these have the opposite effect on him and Jonas is spurred to create chnge. He takes the baby that was staying with them, soon to be killed due to not reaching mature infancy. Then he sets out to leave the border and let loose the memories so that the community can feel as well.
Personal Reaction: The writer takes these mature themes and wraps them into a complex novel. She uses the idea that "same" is not always the best decision. Emotion makes us human, it creates empathy, and love. In addition to the destruction that led them to believe taking it all away was worth the loss. But, without the empathy that the council so desprately needed to be good leaders, they became inhumane. Killing infants as well as elders, taking away choices, keeping away memories and thoughts. Even though emotions can make us seem inhumane at times, they help us keep our humanity. Lois Lowry spun all of this into a hauntingly inventive novel.
Classroom Lesson: I would have a classroom discussion on the meanings of same and diverse. Then I would have the students ctreate a venn-diagram comparing the positive and negative aspects of each in a community. ( )
  cosmodad16 | Nov 27, 2016 |
Brief Summary: Twelve-year-old Jonas lives a seemingly ideal life. He lives in a colorless, world of conformity and contentment. When he is assigned his career as the Receiver of Memory he begins to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community.

Award & Description: 2013 Newberry Medal- The John Newbery Medal is a literary award given by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association (ALA). The award is given to the author of "the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children."

How to use in a classroom: Students will examine elements of plot, compare and contrast characters, make predictions while reading, and write another final chapter to the book.

Book Citation (APA):Lowry, L. (2014). The giver. United States: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ( )
  meganconser | Nov 27, 2016 |
I really liked it I hope Him and Gabriel can live for a really long time. i would hate to live ina a community like that. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
Interesting read from start to finish. ( )
  peterandgelo | Nov 22, 2016 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,643,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible