The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

Member:BookishDame
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2006), Paperback, 208 pages

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)

1990s (9)
foods (3)

English (1,175)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (1,185)
The book is extremely thought provoking which made me question everything I was reading and did not want to put it down. The author used a writing style that left the reader with questions and an ending that left us to decide for ourselves. I found this book to be less of a Sci-FI novel, and more of a mystery.. But it could be a little bit of both. Students who have the maturity to handle a book such as The Giver should be given the opportunity to read such a great novel.
  leighTembrey | Sep 24, 2016 |
The story follows a young boy as he is about to enter what his community considers adulthood by turning 12 and gaining a life assignment. His community is built upon conformity, rules, zero questions ask and structure. No one in the community questions why they live the way they live. That is until Jonas gains his life assignment to become the next Receiver of Memory. This life assignment requires Jonas to hold all memories that have been passed down through the generations that tell of past much forgotten. During his training, Jonas is introduce to emotions, colors, new experiences passed down to him by the former Receiver now called the Giver. Throughout his training, Jonas's bond grows with the Giver even though he starts to question everything he has been taught and how life is lived. The Giver and Jonas decide to break society rules by having Jonas leave in order for the community to experience all the memories that both hold in hopes of creating a better future. Jonas ends up having to leave earlier than planned due to a unforeseen situation that forces him to leave the community with a baby. He travels with the baby to find the land called "Elsewhere". The journey becomes a struggle and before he can find the new place, Jonas starts to hilucanate about riding down a hill on a sleigh. The books ends as he and baby Gabe are still riding down the hill. This book gets a reader so caught up that it is easy to read the book in two days. You become staked in Jonas's journey as he learns that life has not always been the same. I am not particularly found of the ending, but my reading preference leans more towards happy ending books. Though I would say that the ending fit the book perfect. I would use this book as a whole class read or as a book club book. It would be good during the whole class read to have students do analysis of the characters throughout the book. This book could also be used to introduce book summaries. The students could write a chapter summary after each read and then combine the summaries to create larger one.
  LaurenBrow | Sep 21, 2016 |
The Giver is one of my favorite books. Because it is told from a first person point of view, it takes a high amount of refection and analysis to understand the plot. This novel warns the world in a classic "be careful what you wish for" manner. The reader will feel liberated along with the main character, Jonas, when Jonas finds his way out of his predictably safe community.
  erindunton | Sep 11, 2016 |
This book is a great fantasy book that every student should read in the classroom. This book has a lot of hidden messages and is very symbolical. To get the full potential of everything this book has to offer, there should be a lot of teacher guided discussion among the class. It shows how life could be without memories and shows us how important they are. ( )
  ShelbyV | Sep 11, 2016 |
What an amazing story... It's a short and quick read - took me only 3 days to read the book cover to cover.... The story is written so well. My heart ached for poor Jonas and The Giver. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,108,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible