The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

Member:phranchk
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2006), Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:Young Adult, Dystopia, Fiction

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse by Brian Farrey (CurrerBell)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)

1990s (8)
foods (3)

English (1,248)  German (4)  Italian (3)  French (2)  English (Middle) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All (1,261)
I read this book when I was 12. It was a pretty heavy book then. I understood a little of what was going on. I understand all of what was going on now. It takes a few years for things to really sink in.

I really want to read this novel again. Get a fresh perspective. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
i listened to this after watching the movie, and actually the two were not that different. it wasn't as amazing as i had expected based on other reviews, but it was quite good. it's short so i think it's worth reading. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
The story is great and full of excitement and mystery events. It is also great for reading to young children as it has a lot of words that are difficult and hard which is great for an introduction to young children to enhance their knowledge and vocabulary accusation.
  vovasameh | Jun 10, 2017 |
Reviewed in Discussions
  joshkraght | Jun 9, 2017 |
It won't leave you indifferent. Jonas lives in a world where sameness is everything, where precision of language is used to hide emotions and where there aren't any colours, just tones/shades of grey. The book is pretty short-sized and the plot is simple: Jonas is to receive the world's past memory, so that the community can live in sameness oblivion. WHat I like is not so much what Jonas is told, but what he is shown, and the characterisation in the book works the same - actions define characters and the plot is sure to please even people who are not into sci-fi. The end of the book is rather positive and you're left wanting to know more about what happens next to Jonas and Gabriel, or the community left behind. Next books are on my 'to read' list. Well worth reading! ( )
  soniaandree | Jun 4, 2017 |
I first read this book in high school and recently re-read it after watching the movie. I forgot just how scary it is too read about a world so different from our own. It also made me thankful that we are able to have the choices that we have. This book is great for students because it teaches children to think outside of the box. They can imagine a world that is different from their own reality. This book could be used in a variety of different ways. For instance, students could have literature circles then create their own type of community.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,163,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible