The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

Member:phranchk
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2006), Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:Young Adult, Dystopia, Fiction

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)

1990s (6)
foods (3)

English (1,143)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,151)
Интересное чтиво. Но детям бы не давал его читать ​без должных комментариев. Обычная история эгоизма ​и тщеславия, побудившего человека решать самому за​ все общество. По сути жили они весьма хорошо и сч​астливо. И только этим двум глупцам было тяжело и ​одиноко. Если глубже копнуть, то встаёт философски​й вопрос что есть жизнь, для чего мы живём, можно ​ли пожертвовать одним ради многих, что есть выбор?​ Книжечку рекомендую к прочтению. Неспешному, вдум​чивому, с последующей рефлексией по горячим следам​ ( )
  Billy.Jhon | Apr 25, 2016 |
I liked this book for several reasons. The main message was to give the readers a look into a dystopian society. The first think I liked about the story was that the characters were well developed. Jonas is the only "normal" character in the book from the reader's perspective, but from the society's point of view he is the one who is the outsider. Jonas is a well developed character who expresses his thoughts and feelings. For example, his developing anger towards the authority in his society are typical of adolescents. This also makes him a believable character, even though the setting of the book is unrealistic. The book follows Jonas' journey and his interactions with his peers and the rest of society. Through these interactions, the reader is able to picture just how unusual Jonas' society really is. I also enjoyed the element of fantasy in the story. The fact that Jonas is the only one who can hold all of the memories of the entire society / village is unrealistic, but also gives the book a powerful message. It is through this power that Jonas is able to see the true pain and suffering people had to endure before they reached this level of sameness. This also helps show the reader the importance of individuality as well as self-will - Jonas' escape from the town was a way of liberating himself as well as opening the rest of his society up to the true ups and downs of life. ( )
  ygurova | Apr 22, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons. The first reason was that the characters were somewhat believable. Jonas is growing up and he is starting to question the authority that he lives in with his utopia. So many kids growing up end up questioning authority and end up sometimes rebelling. Another reason is the writing is very much engaged. The author is able to help the reader understand how every character feels. The only thing I did not like about the book is the plot with the ending. I am someone who likes to know how exactly the book ends and not be left with a cliffhanger. The big idea of the story is about breaking from the rules and exploring who you want to be. ( )
  wclayw1 | Apr 18, 2016 |
I had read this book over a decade ago and remembered it being a very good read. I only read it a second time after finally watching the film. I found so much to ponder in each format that I could probably do a few more cycles of both. I think there are so many discussion points that could be incorporated into using with students that I am sure I will try to use it even if it isn't required reading wherever I may work as a librarian. ( )
  ScottPrinzing | Apr 16, 2016 |
This is a science fiction novel. This book follows the life of a yound boy, Jonas, and the utopian world that he lives in. Each new year, there is a ceremony to celebrate the aging of the kids 1-12 years of age. You are a 1 if you were born at any time in the previous year. Jonas is becoming a 12 at the next upcoming ceremony, and all of the 12s are assigned their new jobs, marking the end of their childhood. Jonas is apprehensive about this ceremony, because he has no idea what job he will be assigned - he doesn't have any obvious and concrete interests like some of the other kids in his group. At the ceremony, he gets chosen as the new Receiver of Memory, which is the most honorable job in the whole community - there is only one Receiver of Memory. In this job, the old Receiver (Jonas calls him The Giver) gives all of his memories to the new Receiver. These are the memories of the past - way, way back in time before "sameness" (sameness is how their world is described now). These memories change Jonas - he begins to see color, he experiences pain, loss, war; but also love, sunshine, and family. He feels convicted that they cannot live in a world without color, or love, or pain. Jonas and The Giver devise a plan for Jonas to leave escape the community - because if he escapes then all of these memories he now holds will be released into the community and they will begin to experience (or feel) everything in them. Jonas escapes and eventually reaches someplace that he knows is the world how it used to be. This is a fantastic science fiction novel. It demonstrates what the world would be like if we erased pain and anything that would make life difficult (something as simple as hills and mountains) and everyone was the same - same skin tone, hair color; nobody lied, everyone abided by the set rules of the community. It shows a strong character who is willing to sacrifice life to get back to the real things that were in the memories - because life without those things was not worth living anymore. This book shows the value and necessity of love and pain - and real, raw feelings. I wouldn't use this book in my classroom, because I am going to be teaching somewhere in 1-4th grade. I would suggest this book to any older student who wanted to read a science fiction book. I would also find a more age-appropriate book to read with my kids that shares similar themes to this book, because I think they are important to talk about at any age.
  jessicayambra | Apr 15, 2016 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible