The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

Member:Bduke
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Ember (2006), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Dystopian, Science fiction

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot

English (900)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (905)
Just saw the movie, so I had to read this again. Still one of my fave novels, but I forgot some parts of it. This is a futuristic and chilling tale that brings me new meaning in light of current governmental decisions. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Aug 27, 2014 |
This first book in the Giver Quartet stands the test of time. A fascinating take on a possible futuristic society, this book is the kind of Science Fiction like George Orwell or Ray Bradbury that make us question ourselves and our direction as a society. All four books are worthy of reading, though they are best enjoyed if you do not read the synopses first. Also I recommend getting a special edition of the Quartet, as I enjoyed the illustrated map of the communities from the first three books by Lois Lowry herself. There were also Reader questions at the end and special interviews, where I learned that Lois created the book covers herself. A great gift for an avid reader of any age. ( )
  Meghanista | Aug 25, 2014 |
Rating: 4.5 of 5

Quick, easy read that reminded me there ARE great middle grade/YA books yet to discover. And guess what? NO love triangles - yay! Full review to come. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Aug 24, 2014 |
I loved this book set in a future society where life is highly controlled. It was dark and frightening in a subdued way but it managed this without gruesome violence. The ending was a bit sentimental but a note of hope can only be a good thing. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Aug 22, 2014 |
I picked this book up at a goodwill store and never knew it was a required reading for most people. I never had to read it but I am very glad I picked it up. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:11 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

4 1996

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,331,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible