The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2002)

by Lois Lowry

Member:Elizabeth324
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (2002), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, dystopian, government, coming-of-age, propaganda

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)

1990s (5)
foods (3)

English (1,152)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,160)
It was ok. Definitely a world builder book. I may check out the next one. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I'm ashamed to say that I had never actually read this book straight through before now. I had discussed it with both of my children when they read it for school and even helped some of my remedial kids with reading some sections of the book. (This is actually easy to do with access to a teacher's guide.) It is certainly a gripping story, but as my son said, "a little disturbing". I loved that the ending is ambiguous. I like not being certain of the final outcome so much that I’m not sure that I will read the sequel. It might spoil my sense of the uniqueness of this story. I only gave the book 4 stars, but that is probably only because I knew all the plot twists before I started. It really never pays to cheat by looking at the answers.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
WOW - is all I can say. WOW. Just WOW.

It is impossible for me to write a review for this book - I just don't have words for it. So I will share my feelings instead.

The summary does not do this book justice. I came across this book on Goodreads time and time again, but it did not seem inspiring. But when I finally gave in, I could not stop reading. And after finishing it, I can't stop thinking about it.

This book is an experience. The experience. It affected me so deeply on both intellectual and spiritual levels - so deeply, in fact, that I myself have not fully realised the size of the impact yet. It is a short, but very dense in meanings and so masterfully crafted. One can spend years studying philosophy and learn nothing, but sometimes it takes a tiny parable - like this one - to open new doors in the mind. ( )
  NatalieAsIs | May 14, 2016 |
A short, captivating, emotional book that I wish was 400 or 500 pages instead of 180. There is so much potential depth in the community that Lowry created. ( )
  codyacunningham | May 9, 2016 |
Since its release, in 1993, Lois Lowry's The Giver has been extolled, vilified, honored (winning the prestigious Newberry Award in 1994) and banned. It has been noted that some critics place it in the 100 Best Books for Children and, notably, the Christian Science Monitor was referenced as stating, “Lowry’s powerful book, simply and directly written, offers an inspiring defense of freedom. Both adventurous and skillfully plotted, this book is recommended for young readers 8 and up.”

The American Library Association lists the Lowry trilogy ( The Giver, Gathering Blue and Messenger) among the most frequently challenged books of the 1990’s; coincidentally, it has been included - and remains - on junior high and high school reading lists throughout the country.

What does one do when confronted with such strongly felt divergence of opinion and review? I don't know what "one" does, but I immediately sought out the first book in the (original) trilogy, The Giver. In 2012, the fourth book of The Giver series was released, Son. I intend to read them all. Highly recommended. ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,956,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible