The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2002)

by Lois Lowry

Member:Elizabeth324
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (2002), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, dystopian, government, coming-of-age, propaganda

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)

1990s (9)
foods (3)

English (1,162)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (1,170)
A favorite since I first read it in high school, I come back to it every few years. This time, I read it because we watched the recent movie. Which changed too much of the book to be good, despite holding mostly true to the theme. The book, however, using simple language to create a complex world, a world that seems possible. Worth reading. ( )
  empress8411 | Jul 16, 2016 |
  empress8411 | Jul 16, 2016 |
George Orwell meets philosophy. The ending is a good fit to the rest of the book, but leaves me begging for more. ( )
  ralu1150 | Jul 15, 2016 |
This is about a community who give up memories that one person keeps for them because the people might not be able to handle them. The Giver is getting old so he must give all the memories to a new person who must keep them for everyone. They don't remember color, sun, pain, courage and many other memories. They are very vanilla people. Jobs, spouses and children are selected for them. Twins born? The heaviest is kept and the other is "released" which everyone thinks they go somewhere else. I saw the movie first and it is a lot like the book yet quite different. The movie is heavier on the friends and the book is about the Giver and the Receiver. It's a very interesting concept. It's sad that people would be happy with such a bland life and controlled life. Love Ron Rifkin reading the book. One of my favorite actors. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
This is one of those I'd really have given a 3.5. I read it because I had heard so much about it. It was interesting but it felt a little underdeveloped in some ways. I was left wanting more- more about the characters, the reasons for going to sameness, and the Giver. The ending was intriguing, though, and left me a bit confused. I will have to keep thinking about this one. ( )
  karconner | Jul 5, 2016 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,467,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible