The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2002)

by Lois Lowry

Member:Bwestpha
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (2002), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:Utopian Society, Fiction, Young adult, Chapter Book

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse by Brian Farrey (CurrerBell)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)

1990s (8)
foods (3)

English (1,255)  German (4)  Italian (3)  French (2)  English (Middle) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All (1,268)
Summary:
"The Giver" by Lois Lowry is about a twelve year old boy named Jonas who is selected as the new Receiver of Memory for his community. As Reciever of Memory is his his job to hold on to the memories of the past for everyone in his community. How bad can the memories be if the community is perfect the way it is.

Personal Reaction :
This book had been on my shelf for years and I never read it. It was a recommended book but never a book that I was strongly encouraged to read. I feel like I missed out now that I've read it though. The perfect world that Jonas lives in is on that I can relate to. Everyone wants to fix the problems we face in order to make the world "perfect". In Jonas' s world, everything is "perfect" and everyone is treated the same which doesn't sound so bad but as you read the book you realize that the people within the community are robbed of so many things and have so many rules that you could hardly call it living.

Extension Ideas:
1.) This book touches on so many valuable life lessons such as puberty and death which every child has be introduced to at some point even though I would recommend that when children are slightly older.
2.) This book also raised questions about equality or "sameness" as the book puts it. At the same time, this story also introduces differences within the idea of sameness. It introduces the slightest of differences whether that be words, feelings, or the physical differences. ( )
  BreannaDavid | Jul 25, 2017 |
Summary:
Jonas is a 12 year old boy who lives in a society of "sameness". The society has tried to get rid of pain and strife by making everyone alike and "releasing" the sick babies and elderly to another place. At the age of 12 the children receive their career assignments and Jonas finds out that he is the receiver of memory. Jonas is now able to see that this society is not so great after all.
Personal Reaction:
I think that we can compare this book to our society in the U.S. today. We get so caught up in just living life and don't question or challenge things around us that may be wrong. I love this book and the fact that it shows us that things may not always be as they seem.
Classroom Extensions:
1. I would use a literature circle and have the students discuss what character they relate to in the story and why.
2.Have the students write down memories from their past. Then have them circle the memories they would keep and ex out memories they would get rid of if they could. ( )
  Charessa | Jul 23, 2017 |
Summary: In a dystopian society, a young man named Jonas is chosen to be the new receiver. The receiver is to receive the worlds tales from the Giver. Jonas soon begins to unravel the twisted truth about his world.

Personal Reflection: The Giver was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I've always enjoyed the story, I recently went back to the book for another class and found that it has aged very well. I still find myself being caught up in Jonas' story.

Extension #1: Pick a giver and a receiver and have them act out a scene from the book.

Extension #2: Play a game of "telephone" to demonstrate the way information changes as it gets told and retold.
  GaryReddin | Jul 21, 2017 |
"The Giver, the 1994 Newbery Medal winner, has become one of the most influential novels of our time. The haunting story centers on twelve-year-old Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community. Lois Lowry has written three companion novels to The Giver, including Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son." This is a wonderful story about a boy's experience as he gets the gift of Receiver of his communities Memories. ( )
  JenaiEllison | Jul 13, 2017 |
This is another young adult book I recommend. It reminded me of a younger version of Ira Levin's "This Perfect Day," which is one of my favorite books. Society is carefully monitored and ruled with young Jonas given the high honor by his community of Receiver of Memories. ( )
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
I first read this book in high school and recently re-read it after watching the movie. I forgot just how scary it is too read about a world so different from our own. It also made me thankful that we are able to have the choices that we have. This book is great for students because it teaches children to think outside of the box. They can imagine a world that is different from their own reality. This book could be used in a variety of different ways. For instance, students could have literature circles then create their own type of community.

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,228,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible