The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 1999)

by Lois Lowry

20,149None75 (4.22)334
Member:atrautz
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Bantam Books for Young Readers (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Childhood, Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

chapter book (87) children (129) children's (249) children's literature (197) classic (131) classics (91) coming of age (152) dystopia (891) dystopian (286) euthanasia (85) family (112) fantasy (614) fiction (1,474) future (181) futuristic (123) juvenile (75) memories (160) memory (105) Newbery (330) Newbery Medal (440) novel (172) own (91) read (330) science fiction (1,199) society (95) to-read (163) utopia (278) YA (449) young adult (776) young adult fiction (104)
    1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    We by Jevgeni Zamjatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot

English (852)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (857)
Interesting but I don't see where all those awards come from. The basic premise is metaphorical, not science fictional. In some distant future, a young boy grows up in carefully controlled society that has eliminated war and even minor conflict through intense indoctrination and a detailed progression of maturation. He turns out to be special -- someone who can be passed memories of human life from generations before by The Giver, memories of both joy and pain. How, other than some vague telepathy is not clear, and why is even less clear.

I liked the cultural details in the book, the things that happened at each milestone in a child's life. And, no spoilers but I did find it interesting that the ending is one that will be read completely differently by adults and the target youth audience. But I was constantly frustrated by the lack of any grounding details. For all that people moved around in the village, there were no descriptions of place, costume, smells, and so on. For a while I presumed this was meant to reflect the blinders the population had placed on themselves, but by the end I believe it was because this was all an abstract exercise for the author, not a real envisioning of some time and place. I'll take Margo Lanagan any day. ( )
1 vote ChrisRiesbeck | Apr 15, 2014 |
Compelling post-apocalyptic novel. An interesting take on the burden of memories. Is innocence better than awareness? The characters were compelling, the plot and setting fascinating, and the writing tight and beautiful. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 15, 2014 |
Continuing with my project to re-read a favorite book every month, I re-read [The Giver]. This is one of my favorite dystopian novels. Lowry does an excellent job of gradually revealing how the community in which Jonas lives differs from our own. On the surface, it seems like an orderly, enjoyable place to live, but when twelve-year-old Jonas is selected as the keeper of memories, he learns the dangers that come with removing differences.

Lowry creates a world that is believable, but disturbing. The story moves along at a rapid pace, building to a its climax. This is a book that I wish I had read as a child. I think it would have been even more impactful then. I can't wait for the movie to come out this summer. ( )
1 vote porch_reader | Apr 6, 2014 |
The Giver explores free-will and how our fate is decided with no ability to choose or guide our outcomes. Society decides who will succeed and who will live. While all roles in the community are respected, they also understand that intelligence and ability dictate their future. Read my full review at http://thekeytothegate.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-giver-by-lois-lowry.html ( )
1 vote rebeccaskey | Apr 2, 2014 |
Like "Remember the Stars", this kept catching my eye on those wire swivel racks in my elementary school library. But I never wanted to check it out -- what nine-year-old boy wants to read a book about an old man and "giving"? Plus a pretentious award? No thank you.

And again, like "Remember the Stars", I finally got around to reading it. The result? Well, it has good points and bad points. It's easy to read, but the story doesn't start until almost at the halfway point. Before that it's all world-building. Once you get into the "giving" that the complications start setting in. And they are good complications.

But that ending... Oh, that ending. I hate, hate, HATE ambiguous endings. That stupid "was it a dream or wasn't it?" that belongs in art films and stories with no plot. 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, The Matrix, The Black Hole, Inception, Half-Life. There's only two reasons to do that: the writer doesn't know how to end it and gives up or the writer wants to mess with expectations -- to create arguments and analyses. In either case, it's disrespectful to the reader. Do I truly believe Lois Lowry set out to do that? It's not outside the realm of possibility.

But I'll say this. That ending soured me on reading any further books in the "Giver" series, and any books by Lowry herself even. Think about that, authors. A carefully, crafted exciting ending isn't as necessary as you think. The fun is in the journey, not the destination. But that journey needs to conclusion to signal that it's over. ( )
1 vote theWallflower | Mar 26, 2014 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:11 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,425,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible