The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2002)

by Lois Lowry

21,58196361 (4.21)424
Member:thatwordnerd
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Laurel Leaf (2002), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:coming of age, dystopia, dystopian, fantasy, future, futuristic, memories, memory, science fiction, society, utopia, young adult, read in 2013

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)
    Truesight by David Stahler Jr. (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very Similar Plot

English (948)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All languages (956)
Read for Fantasy/Science Fiction Novel Assignment.
  gmustain | Dec 7, 2014 |
The Giver is a book similar in ideas to 1984 and The Hunger Games trilogy in it's dystopian style. I remember reading this book when I was in grade school and thinking what an awful place it would have been to live in, where all your decisions are made for you, even if they are based on your best ability. This reminds me of the climate in N. Korea, with their Dear Leader. They even have a prescribed list of haircuts they are allowed to choose from. I like the idea that this book would ask children to challenge their society if they don't agree with it. Jonas wasn't happy with the fact that only one person would house all the memories, that they needed to be shared. In order to have their perfect society, they had to give up so much, including passion. There is a lack of it in The Community and Jonas craves it and when Jonas leaves, you can't help but cheer him on!
  InstantLaila | Dec 6, 2014 |
Lois Lowry is just such a talented writer. Everything she write seems to turn to literary gold. There is no one better than her in terms of children's novels and The Giver proves that. She takes this dystopian society and totally brings it to life. An absolute joy of a book for any and all ages. ( )
  Andymcclellan_93 | Dec 3, 2014 |
Read this book for the first time in elementary school. A younger version of 1984. Distopia society. I think this is great book for students to be exposed to in the classroom.
  kzilinskas | Dec 3, 2014 |
The Giver will always be one of my favorite books and memories of reading as a child and as an adult. If any one ever thinks a Utopia will work and keep everyone happy, read this book and your mind will change. Although I do not agree that everyone should be assigned jobs, that is what makes this story so good and memorable. This story illustrates beautifully why we have the freedom to choose our lives. However, there are some disturbing scenes that some parents may not want their child to view, so I suggest as a parent that you read The Giver before allowing your child to read it. This book is appropriate for age 10 and up. I would definitely recommend this book as a mandatory school book that students in 8th grade read and discuss. Overall I would rate this book between a 9 and 10.
  lfasce1 | Dec 2, 2014 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a student's study guide

For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:11 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

4 2090

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,395,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible