The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (original 1993; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

24,722119144 (4.19)592
Member:LauraAshlee
Title:The Giver
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Ember (2006), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 208 pages

The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (chrisharpe, afyfe)
    chrisharpe: I see I am in a minority but, although the idea behind the book is a good one, The Giver struck me as quite clumsy. A much more effective exploration of similar themes is Huxley's "Brave New World".
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: The Giver is much darker, but are similar in premise.
    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another children's book that manages both to entertain and to make you think. These are two of my favourites.
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (jessicastatzer)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Similar themes, We is a lot better written.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jbarry)
    jbarry: futuristic take on biomedical ethics and mindbendingly complicated relationships
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ubcsfs)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem (Nikkles)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (rhondagrantham)
    The Dubious Hills by Pamela Dean (infiniteletters)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (foggidawn)
    The Story Box by Monica Hughes (infiniteletters)

1990s (9)
foods (3)

English (1,179)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (1,189)
The Giver is a wonderful book that exemplifies the fantasy genre. The author encompasses characteristics of life that are not realistic. Lois Lowry creats a sense of Utopia in The Giver and this is one of the major factors of a fantasy book.
  ElizabethMoody | Sep 27, 2016 |
The Giver by Lois Lowry; (2 1/2*)

I would say that this book is creative and unlike any book I have previously read. I found it to be new and fresh but unable to hold my interest. I will say that I am not big on the apocalyptic nor the dystopian novels but for some reason I wanted to like this book.
The setting is a bland world, a bland community with bland people, bland colors, bland minds & personalities, bland jobs, bland everything except for one character, the Giver. He has memories of times gone by, of feelings, of passions, of a life no one else remembers and now, as he is aging, it is time for him to turn over & teach the upcoming Giver, our protagonist, all of this.
Our new & young Giver in training has trouble accepting all of this and his mind begins to stretch out on its own. When the powers that be learn of this they begin their protest to his uniqueness.
I can see why readers of school age & their teachers hold such high regard to this book especially in today's world when the media controls so much of what we, the public, are allowed to know. I don't see myself continuing the series. Sadly, this book didn't do much for me.

. ( )
  rainpebble | Sep 26, 2016 |
This story follows a 12 year old boy named Jonas who seems to live in a Utopian world. Jonas is selected to be the next "Receiver of Memory," which is the person who stores all of the memories before the Sameness. What Jonas learns is extremely hard for him to grasp, and leaves Jonas feeling as though the world he lives in is unbearable.
The Giver is hands down one of the best books I have ever read. The story is so compelling and leaves you wanting more. It is a little too challenging for younger grades, but has a great plot and makes you fall in love with the characters and the message of the story. ( )
  sehuff | Sep 26, 2016 |
This small chapter book is a great read and teaches a lesson that every kid should learn.This book is perfect for children around 5th grade and up. It teaches a lesson about how essential memories and emotions are within our society and the consequences of when we lack either of them. ( )
  MichaelCunningham | Sep 25, 2016 |
The book is extremely thought provoking which made me question everything I was reading and did not want to put it down. The author used a writing style that left the reader with questions and an ending that left us to decide for ourselves. I found this book to be less of a Sci-FI novel, and more of a mystery.. But it could be a little bit of both. Students who have the maturity to handle a book such as The Giver should be given the opportunity to read such a great novel.
  leighTembrey | Sep 24, 2016 |
Despite occasional logical lapses, "The Giver," a powerful and provocative novel, is sure to keep older children reading. And thinking.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, Karen Ray (Oct 31, 1993)

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children
To whom we entrust the future
It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.
His mind reeled. Now, empowered to ask questions of utmost rudeness- and promised answers- he could, conceivably (though it was almost unimaginable), ask someone, some adult, his father perhaps: "Do you lie?" But he had no way of knowing if the answer he received were true.
We really have to protect people from wrong choices.
But everyone would be burdened and pained. They don't want that. And that's the real reason The Receiver is so vital to them, and so honored. They selected me-- and you--to lift that burden from themselves.
Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories, didn't want the honor, didn't want the wisdom, didn't want the pain. He wanted his childhood again, his scraped knees and ball games.
Sometimes I wish they'd ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don't want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It's what they've chosen.

This book is about Jonah who is trying to figure out what memories are since he is the receiver and the giver is giving them to him. The story takes place in post-apocalyptic world (I'm assuming). Jonah has to come to terms with release and the very culture that he exists in. There is a trilogy for this series, and I'm excited to read them. This book can be used for character, theme, and other story elements in a class.
A black and white world

One boy holds the memories

Of colorful past

(Sundancer)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237688, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:46 -0400)

Lowry's unforgettable tale introduces 12-year-old Jonas, who is singled out by the Community to be trained by The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of true pain and pleasure. Now it's time for Jonas to receiver the truth.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,206,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible