Tear This Heart Out by Angeles Mastretta

Tear This Heart Out (1985)

by Angeles Mastretta

I didn't enjoy this novel, set in 1930's post-revolutionnary Mexico. The book opens with the marriage at an early age of the narrator, Catalina, to a much older general, Andres Ascencio, and ends about 15 years later with Ascencio's death. Catalina is my main problem; I found her wholly unlikeable, and often found myself wanting to reach into the novel and give her a slap. I know that this is supposed to be a feminist novel about a woman's journey towards self-determination in a macho world, but in fact her "journey" seems to take her from submissive wife who refuses to believe her husband is involved in mass killings despite all the evidence, to selfish woman who, at best, ignores her children completely ("it was years since I'd last played with my children") or, at worst, lives out her many affairs under their noses. Yes, I know we've seen the heroines of the great 19th century adultery novels behave like this, but Emma Bovary, Anna Karenina and Ana Ozores get away with it by being better-drawn characters in better-written novels.
1 vote rachbxl | Apr 27, 2008 |
Dieses Buch ist für Héctor, weil er es mitzuverantworten, und für Mateo, weil er sich ihm verweigert hat.
Es ist für meine Mutter und meine Freunde, unter ihnen Verónica.
Natürlich gehört es auch Catarina und ihrem Vater; sie haben daran mitgeschrieben.
In dem Jahr damals hat sich in Mexiko allerhand ereignet.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375701990, Paperback)

A young girl recounts her girlhood and eventual marriage to a general of the Mexican revolution. by one of the most outstanding writers of the new feminist Mexican literature, it is at once a haunting novel of one woman's life and a powerful account of post-revolutionary Mexico from a female perspective.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:28 -0400)

A Mexican woman named Catalina recounts her life from age fifteen to thirty, including her marriage to a general in the Mexican Revolution.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,175,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible