A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

A Sick Day for Amos McGee

by Philip C. Stead, Erin E. Stead (Illustrator)

sometimes the author will uses only picture pages to move the story along. the animals are human like ( )
  pamelapaige | Oct 20, 2014 |
In my opinion, this book was very well written and was deserving of the Caldecott award. My favorite part of this story was the plot. I thought that all of the pieces of the story such as, what Amos did for the animals and why the animals helped him when he was sick, pull together to form a nice plot. The message that was sent through the story was very nice as well. the message of the story was when your friend is in need always be there for them. I think that this is a good message for children to follow because if they truly care for somebody they should be willing to help them in their time of need. When Amos was sick and needed a pick-me-up, his animal friends from the zoo wasted no time to go to his house and help him the way he does for them all the time. ( )
  cporte8 | Sep 23, 2014 |
I loved this book! I can definitely see why this book won a caldecott medal. I loved how the author described each animal that Amos helped at the zoo. I especially enjoyed the irony that the author portrayed when she explains that Amos reads a book to the owl that is afraid of the dark! My favorite aspect of this book is the plot. Amos works at the zoo and goes above and beyond to make sure each animal feels special. Then, the plot twists when Amos gets sick. All of the animals escape the zoo and take care of the man who always takes care of them! The overall message of this story is that friendship is the best medicine! This teaches children that when people take time to care about them, it is nice to return the favor! ( )
  eschoe1 | Sep 18, 2014 |
Cute book about an old man getting sick and his animal friends are to the rescue! Love how the animals decided to lend a helping hand.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
This is such a sweet and gentle book about being there for those who support you. The illustrations are just as delicate. I want to be friends with every one of these characters. ( )
  kradish | Jul 30, 2014 |

Philip C. Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stead, Erin E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Erin dedicates this book to Phil
Phil dedicates this book to Erin

LIB 428/Lawson desc - This is a heartfelt story that one can really fall in love with and has some lessons about friendship and loyalty that might be a great share for a classroom setting from that standpoint. This is about Amos McGee - a zookeeper who considers the animals his friends. He cares for them and spends time with them. When he doesn't show up to work one day due to being sick, the animals decide to pay him a visit. The tables turn, and the animals take care of Amos and spend time with him, in a story about giving and friendship.

"Amos McGee, a friendly zookeeper, always made time to visit his good friends: the elephant, the tortoise, the penguin, the rhinoceros, and the owl. But one day--'Ah-choo!'--he woke with the sniffles and the sneezes. Though he didn't make it into the zoo that day, he did receive some unexpected guests."--Dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible