A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

A Sick Day for Amos McGee

by Philip C. Stead, Erin E. Stead (Illustrator)

As one person can bring joy to others throughout their day, so too can a group of friends unite to bring one special person comfort and pleasure. I think that's a very comforting storyline and I absolutely adore the award-winning illustrations.The book has a gentle humor, a sweetness and an inherent loveliness that makes it one of my all-time favorite books. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Feb 25, 2015 |
Summary: Amos McGee visits his animal friends at the zoo every day until he gets to sick to get out of bed one morning. His friends, the elephant, the tortoise, the penguin, the rhinoceros, and the owl miss him when he doesn't show up for their usual routine so they take a bus to Amos' house to visit and take care of him.

Reaction: I like this book, it gives a good example of what friends do for each other and how much they will be missed if they were not around. This story also shows that no matter how different people are we can care about each other and help each other out.

Extension: The illustrations are clean and nicely detailed, they tell the journey of the animals from the zoo and on the bus to Amos' house without using text. ( )
  Rebecca90 | Feb 18, 2015 |
This fantasy fictional tale tells a sweet story of a man named Amos who loves going to the zoo and keeping his animal friends company. One day, Amos came down with a bad cold and was unable to go to the zoo. The animals came to care for Amos at his house and played games with him there instead!
  Emilywilson23 | Feb 10, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a great book for children. It portrays the message that is your treat others the way you want to be treated they will do the same for you. The illustrations are interesting because they are only partially colored. For example, when he goes to the zoo, only the trees and the red balloon are colored. This really caught my attention while I was reading.

The fact that he interacts with the animals at the zoo is almost every child dream. I think children would enjoy seeing reading this book and living in the fantasy of playing with the animals. The language in the book is very simple and easy to understand. Children would be able to read this book with ease and no complications.

The plot is more of a rising actions and a small falling actions. Amos McGee always helps the animals at the zoo and there is a conflict when he doesn’t show up one day. The animals get on the bus and go to see him. There is not much of a plot, but more of simple events that are all used in the story.
  jbarro3 | Feb 6, 2015 |
One of my favorite picture books. Story is sweet and fun, the theme of friendship is great. I love the animals and especially the illustrations!
  noah23 | Feb 2, 2015 |

Philip C. Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stead, Erin E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Erin dedicates this book to Phil
Phil dedicates this book to Erin

LIB 428/Lawson desc - This is a heartfelt story that one can really fall in love with and has some lessons about friendship and loyalty that might be a great share for a classroom setting from that standpoint. This is about Amos McGee - a zookeeper who considers the animals his friends. He cares for them and spends time with them. When he doesn't show up to work one day due to being sick, the animals decide to pay him a visit. The tables turn, and the animals take care of Amos and spend time with him, in a story about giving and friendship.

"Amos McGee, a friendly zookeeper, always made time to visit his good friends: the elephant, the tortoise, the penguin, the rhinoceros, and the owl. But one day--'Ah-choo!'--he woke with the sniffles and the sneezes. Though he didn't make it into the zoo that day, he did receive some unexpected guests."--Dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,711,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible