Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

A Sick Day for Amos McGee (edition 2010)

by Philip C. Stead, Erin Stead (Illustrator)

Member:ccbell
Title:A Sick Day for Amos McGee
Authors:Philip C. Stead
Other authors:Erin Stead (Illustrator)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2010), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:1st-3rd grd, easy, favorite, Caldecott

A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

I loved this book! I can definitely see why this book won a caldecott medal. I loved how the author described each animal that Amos helped at the zoo. I especially enjoyed the irony that the author portrayed when she explains that Amos reads a book to the owl that is afraid of the dark! My favorite aspect of this book is the plot. Amos works at the zoo and goes above and beyond to make sure each animal feels special. Then, the plot twists when Amos gets sick. All of the animals escape the zoo and take care of the man who always takes care of them! The overall message of this story is that friendship is the best medicine! This teaches children that when people take time to care about them, it is nice to return the favor! ( )
  eschoe1 | Sep 18, 2014 |
Cute book about an old man getting sick and his animal friends are to the rescue! Love how the animals decided to lend a helping hand.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
Format: Picture Book
Genre: Fiction

This book is about friendship and taking care of each other. I think it would be good for a third grade class. I liked the illustrations and the muted colors. I also liked the animals and how they went to take care of Amos, the same way he took care of them. ( )
  Lacyjaramillo | Sep 3, 2014 |
This is such a sweet and gentle book about being there for those who support you. The illustrations are just as delicate. I want to be friends with every one of these characters. ( )
  kradish | Jul 30, 2014 |
Amos McGee is a zookeeper who always takes time to check on his friends. One morning he woke up sick and does not make it to the zoo. His friends worry about him, and decide to go visit him.
A sick day for Amos Mcgee is a great book for younger readers. It is a great picture book for young children. It is a story about friendship and caring. It would be a good book to read when someone in the class is out sick. It takes place at a zoo and in Amos’s house. The animals go visit Amos to see why he was not at work that day.
I would have children tell what they like to do when they are sick and make a chart out of it. I would have them make “get well” cards for Amos McGee. I also would have them build a zoo out of blocks.
  embarnes | Jun 22, 2014 |

Philip C. Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stead, Erin E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Erin dedicates this book to Phil
Phil dedicates this book to Erin

LIB 428/Lawson desc - This is a heartfelt story that one can really fall in love with and has some lessons about friendship and loyalty that might be a great share for a classroom setting from that standpoint. This is about Amos McGee - a zookeeper who considers the animals his friends. He cares for them and spends time with them. When he doesn't show up to work one day due to being sick, the animals decide to pay him a visit. The tables turn, and the animals take care of Amos and spend time with him, in a story about giving and friendship.

"Amos McGee, a friendly zookeeper, always made time to visit his good friends: the elephant, the tortoise, the penguin, the rhinoceros, and the owl. But one day--'Ah-choo!'--he woke with the sniffles and the sneezes. Though he didn't make it into the zoo that day, he did receive some unexpected guests."--Dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,739,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible