A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

A Sick Day for Amos McGee (edition 2010)

by Philip C. Stead, Erin Stead (Illustrator)

Member:ccbell
Title:A Sick Day for Amos McGee
Authors:Philip C. Stead
Other authors:Erin Stead (Illustrator)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2010), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:1st-3rd grd, easy, favorite, Caldecott

A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

Author, Philip C. Stead, and Illustrator, Erin E. Stead won the Caldecott Award – 2011 with this beautiful and delightful book, their first book done together, yet certainly not their first book. The illustrations won the award, but the story is perfectly suited for riding alongside these incredibly detailed and colorful drawings.

It is a simple story about friendship and caring. Amos McGee, the zookeeper, takes extra care of his zoo animals, spending time and doing special things with each one to bring out the best in that particular animal and friend. When Amos McGee becomes sick one day and cannot make it into the zoo, his animal buddies wonder where he is and worry about him. They miss him terribly and decide to go see what has kept him home. From there, the story takes a sweet turn when the animals take care of him, reversing the roles.

The main characters are Amos, of course, an elephant, a tortoise, a penguin, a rhinoceros, and an owl. They each have their quirky personality traits, firstly seen in the zoo, and then appearing at Amos’ home where they play out in the cutest ways. The drawings are so much a part of this story that it may take a bit longer to read unless, of course, your children just need to read the book through to get to the ending.

This is a children’s book, but adults will find themselves reading it again without the kids just to spend plenty of time looking at the fine detail of Mrs. Stead’s drawings. They are wonderfully expressive and a delight!

This books has won a mighty share of Awards:
Caldecott Medal Winner
Capitol Choices Noteworthy Titles for Children and Teens
CPL: Chicago Public Library Best of the Best
Wisconsin Educational Media Association Golden Archer Award Master List

Reading Level: Ages 2-6/Preschool to first grade

I invite you to spend time at the Stead’s websites as well. This may have been their first book done together, but they each have a fine array of books to their individual names. They are both artists and share some of their drawings on these sites:

Author Biography from the book:
“Philip Stead is the author of “A Sick Day for Amos McGee” which was awarded the Caldecott Medal, New York Times Best Illustrated Book, and Publishers Weekly Best Children’s Book of 2010. Stead also wrote, “Creamed Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast” which was recognized by the School Library Journal for it wry humor and illustrations. Philip’s wife, Erin illustrates his books (as well as another author). They reside together in Ann Arbor, Michigan.” ( )
  lindalou924 | Jun 7, 2016 |
Honestly, I just couldn't appreciate this. Sweet, yes, and artistic, ok, but it just didn't have any impact on me; it didn't resonate or give me anything new. The cover illustration isn't part of the story, either, which I dissonance I abhor every time I see it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I love this book and the emotion behind Amos. Younger kids get a real kick out of his sick day. I also loved the characters, their personalities, and illustrations. I thought this book looks into friendship and the importance of Amos and the relationship he has with the animals. ( )
  lindsayeubanks | May 31, 2016 |
This was a very good book, in my opinion. I liked the plot and overall story that was told. I thought it was very sweet and meaningful that the animals cared for the man that cared for them, when he became ill. I also liked that the illustrations had a unique dispersion of color. The pages were mostly bare, but had pops of color, which I liked because it was unique and I had never really experienced a book that had these types of illustrations before. The big idea in this story is that being caring towards others, can make others want to be caring towards you. ( )
  maddieburchell | Apr 30, 2016 |
Gift from Cora

A zookeeper's friendship with the animals comes full circle when they visit him at his house on his sick day. Sweet illustrations in delicate colors, a lovely book. ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 18, 2016 |

Philip C. Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stead, Erin E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Erin dedicates this book to Phil
Phil dedicates this book to Erin

LIB 428/Lawson desc - This is a heartfelt story that one can really fall in love with and has some lessons about friendship and loyalty that might be a great share for a classroom setting from that standpoint. This is about Amos McGee - a zookeeper who considers the animals his friends. He cares for them and spends time with them. When he doesn't show up to work one day due to being sick, the animals decide to pay him a visit. The tables turn, and the animals take care of Amos and spend time with him, in a story about giving and friendship.

"Amos McGee, a friendly zookeeper, always made time to visit his good friends: the elephant, the tortoise, the penguin, the rhinoceros, and the owl. But one day--'Ah-choo!'--he woke with the sniffles and the sneezes. Though he didn't make it into the zoo that day, he did receive some unexpected guests."--Dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,785,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible