A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

A Sick Day for Amos McGee (edition 2010)

by Philip C. Stead, Erin Stead (Illustrator)

Member:ccbell
Title:A Sick Day for Amos McGee
Authors:Philip C. Stead
Other authors:Erin Stead (Illustrator)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2010), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:1st-3rd grd, easy, favorite, Caldecott

A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

This was a very good book, in my opinion. I liked the plot and overall story that was told. I thought it was very sweet and meaningful that the animals cared for the man that cared for them, when he became ill. I also liked that the illustrations had a unique dispersion of color. The pages were mostly bare, but had pops of color, which I liked because it was unique and I had never really experienced a book that had these types of illustrations before. The big idea in this story is that being caring towards others, can make others want to be caring towards you. ( )
  maddieburchell | Apr 30, 2016 |
Gift from Cora

A zookeeper's friendship with the animals comes full circle when they visit him at his house on his sick day. Sweet illustrations in delicate colors, a lovely book. ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 18, 2016 |
I liked the illustrations and the story. ( )
  beanandboone | Mar 12, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. I really loved the characters in the story, specifically the animals and the ironic characteristics/ traits that you were able to infer from the description/ illustration. For example, many people assume that elephants are not that bright; but in this story, Amos McGee plays chess with the elephant, proving that elephants aren't dumb after all. Although the characteristics and actions that the animals show are not necessarily plausible, the creativity of the story and plot were very cute! My only criticism would be to have seen more vivid colored illustrations. The illustrations were all very detailed and imaginative but, for example, the only page that had color throughout the entire page was the final page. I feel to capture the voice of specific pages, more color could have been used to emphasize these emotions!
The book definitely pushes readers to think about issues and broaden perspectives. To me, this book emphasized the importance of friendships and being there for your friends through the ups and downs. Through reading, you are able to see Amos helping his Zoo friends but also how Amos' Zoo friends helping him! There are other take-aways as well, but this is just one that I noticed! ( )
  hfetty1 | Mar 2, 2016 |
A brief summary:
Amos McGee, a zookeeper, goes to the zoo everyday to care for and play with the zoo animals. Amos plays chess with the elephant, runs races with the tortoise, sits quietly with the penguin, and does many other things with his zoo animal friends. One day, Amos wakes up with a cold and decides that he will not be able to go to the zoo. The animals at the zoo wait for Amos, however they decide to visit Amos at his home and take care of him instead.

My personal reaction:
I really enjoy the theme of this book as it demonstrates the value of true friendship. Amos is a friend to the zoo animals and he takes care of them everyday. When Amos is unable to take care of his animals friends, they take care of him. This relationship shows how friendship should be full of care and dedication to one another.

A couple of uses:
- Read aloud and have students share times where their friend or family member had a need and they did something to fill the need.
- Read aloud and have students share what they think are good qualities of a friend and how/if Amos and the zoo animals exhibit theses qualities.

Genre:
This book is an example of fantasy as the animals in the book act in ways that are unrealistic, such as taking the bus and playing cards.

Media:
Woodblock printing techniques and pencil ( )
  Lucymae | Feb 15, 2016 |

Philip C. Steadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stead, Erin E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Erin dedicates this book to Phil
Phil dedicates this book to Erin

LIB 428/Lawson desc - This is a heartfelt story that one can really fall in love with and has some lessons about friendship and loyalty that might be a great share for a classroom setting from that standpoint. This is about Amos McGee - a zookeeper who considers the animals his friends. He cares for them and spends time with them. When he doesn't show up to work one day due to being sick, the animals decide to pay him a visit. The tables turn, and the animals take care of Amos and spend time with him, in a story about giving and friendship.

"Amos McGee, a friendly zookeeper, always made time to visit his good friends: the elephant, the tortoise, the penguin, the rhinoceros, and the owl. But one day--'Ah-choo!'--he woke with the sniffles and the sneezes. Though he didn't make it into the zoo that day, he did receive some unexpected guests."--Dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,797,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible