A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

A Sick Day for Amos McGee (edition 2010)

by Philip C. Stead, Erin Stead (Illustrator)

Member:ccbell
Title:A Sick Day for Amos McGee
Authors:Philip C. Stead
Other authors:Erin Stead (Illustrator)
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2010), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:1st-3rd grd, easy, favorite, Caldecott

A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

Erin Stead's won a Caldecott for "Sick Day for Amos McGee," her first book. She deserves it for her incredible combination of wood-block prints and detailed pencil illustration. I enjoy the quirks and eccentricities of all of the animals and how McGee the kindly zookeeper helps his friends and is helped in return when he needs it. It's a lovely story and its message of empathyis valuable for kids and adults reading to them. ( )
  motorbuffalo | Jun 23, 2017 |
This book was a very different kind of book. Now I know "different" is a vague word to use when describing a book because all books are different. However, by different I mean that this book really made think outside the box and the text. It made look at the pictures and figure out what Erin E. Stead, the illustrator, was trying to show me through the pictures. The first aspect I noticed in the cover picture was that an old man was playing cards with an elephant and a penguin. There was also a little mouse holding a red balloon sitting next to the old man. I thought th, Stead showed me that his walls were painted yellow and white, his bed and dresser had a dark grey color, and his uniform was green and white. She does this in many of the pages. I perceive the color as a meaning of importance. I perceived this because when Mr. Amos, the main character, stepped outside his house everything was black and white except for his blue house. Another strange aspect I noticed was that there was a mouse standing at a stop sign and a bird walking with a suite case. This gave me the idea that he was living in a wor, no colored balloon, just floating by the window as if it were looking outside. The book continues and Mr.Amos is now on his way to work. He catches the bus which is where I begin to see color again because the bus is half blue and half white. There was also another thing I n, the balloon. It seems like this balloon is following him. Mr. Amos arrives to his job at the zoo. This is where I begin to see more color because now the animals in the book are colored. They're not only colored but they also show how they're feeling by t, I saw the balloon again! Although, now it's a red colored balloon floating freely. I thought to myself, why does this balloon keep showing and why is it red now? The story continues and Mr. Amos gets sick. The animals are illustrated very sad because he didn't spend time with them. Stead did an amazing job showing the animals' emotions in her illustration, especially the penguin. The animals then decide to visit Mr. Amos. The red balloon appears again behind the animals when they were going to Amos' house. The penguin took the balloon and brought it with him to Amos' house. Then it is shown that the penguin, yet the animals themselves were not friends until they needed to find Mr. Amos. I think that relates to the shy penguin because it said that Mr. Amos sat with the very shy penguin but at the end of the story, the penguin was no longer shy. I feel like the balloon flying away in the night sky resembles the freedom and happiness that the penguin also feels because he overcame his shyness. In the beginning, the balloon was dull and looked trapped, yet it became red when he was taking to the penguin, and then when the penguin took it. This book is very simple, yet very unique and has many different meaning one might interpret. I think that's the goal for an illustrator and she definitely accomplished that in this book.k ( )
  kristeen1995 | Apr 26, 2017 |
In this heart warming story, Stead grabs the readers hearts as Amos travels to the zoo daily to visit his friends. Each animal has a different bonding activity with Amos. When Amos doesn't show up one day, the animals set out to find Amos and keep him company instead!
  booklist520 | Apr 22, 2017 |
Summary- Amos McGee works at a Zoo and all the animals love him. One day he gets sick and stays at home. When the animals find out they travel to his house to give him things to make him better.

Critique of Genre- Fantasy, animals travel alone and go visit outside the zoo.

Age- All Ages

Media- Woodblock Printing ( )
  DRhodes02 | Apr 19, 2017 |
Friendship, animals, fun, and a little fantasy, what else do you need. Sweet, simple, and highly recommended. ( )
  JenW1 | Apr 13, 2017 |

Philip C. Steadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stead, Erin E.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Erin dedicates this book to Phil
Phil dedicates this book to Erin

LIB 428/Lawson desc - This is a heartfelt story that one can really fall in love with and has some lessons about friendship and loyalty that might be a great share for a classroom setting from that standpoint. This is about Amos McGee - a zookeeper who considers the animals his friends. He cares for them and spends time with them. When he doesn't show up to work one day due to being sick, the animals decide to pay him a visit. The tables turn, and the animals take care of Amos and spend time with him, in a story about giving and friendship.

"Amos McGee, a friendly zookeeper, always made time to visit his good friends: the elephant, the tortoise, the penguin, the rhinoceros, and the owl. But one day--'Ah-choo!'--he woke with the sniffles and the sneezes. Though he didn't make it into the zoo that day, he did receive some unexpected guests."--Dust jacket.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible