Amok: a Story by Stefan Zweig

Amok: a Story (1922)

by Stefan Zweig

French (3)  English (3)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (8)
Цвейг, как всегда, шикарен. Какой надрыв, какие эмоции, какое выворачивание всех внутренних, скрытых, душевных мук, страданий и переживаний.
Читая его, переживаешь все происходящее в себе.
Мне противно такое пресмыкание перед женщинами, такая слабость человеческая и безволие, но от этого рассказ не теряет своей ценности. А наоборот, лишь подчеркивает высокий класс. ( )
  Billy.Jhon | Apr 25, 2016 |
Another brilliant piece of work by Stefan Zweig. I read this particular novella in a collected version of several of Zweig's short works titled [b:The Royal Game & Other Stories|59147|The Royal Game & Other Stories|Stefan Zweig|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1170529960s/59147.jpg|24937733] ( )
  MSarki | Sep 25, 2013 |
I knew that if I went back to Zweig my reading rut would end. I just started and finished [Amok]. As always, Zweig never ceases to amaze me. Short but powerful. Master of the confessional monologue and extreme but raw emotion. I mean, how can you not fall in love with a man who can write sentences such as this:

"J'etais comme dans un bain, ou de l'eau chaude tombe d'en haut sur vous, avec cette difference qu'ici c'etait de la lumiere qui coulait, blanche et tiede, sur mes mains, qui m'enveloppait doucement les epaules et la tete et qui, en quelque sorte, paraissait vouloir penetrer dans mon etre, car toute torpeur s'etait brusquement eloignee de moi." (pg. 20)

My translation:
"I was as if in a bath, where hot water falls from above you, with the difference being that here it was light that ran, white and warm, on my hands, that sweetly enveloped my shoulders and head and that, in some sort, seemed to want to penetrate my being, as all torpor suddenly distanced itself from me."

Two men find themselves on a ship at midnight, trying to escape the weight of the night. One sits, listening, while the other describes the reason why he is there, avoiding the eyes of other passengers, in mourning. It is a story about duty and to what reaches we go to to accomplish our duty. The man reveals the secret he carries from his encounter with a woman in the tropics. And through Zweig's masterful ability to describe human emotion at its extreme through a compassionate and gripping confession, we come to learn why this man is on a ship, at midnight, hiding from the others.

Oh my, Zweig. You titillate my desire to read! Thank you! ( )
6 vote lilisin | May 18, 2009 |
Amok (1993IMDb)
Amok (1983IMDb)
Amok (1934IMDb)
Amok (1944IMDb)
Nel marzo dell'anno 1912, mentre nel porto di Napoli erano in corso operazioni di scarico da un grosso transatlantico, si verificò uno strano incidente, di cui i giornali riferirono in modo ampio, ma assai fantasioso.
This entry is for single publications of this story only. Please don't combine with editions containing other stories as well! Thanks!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,980,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible