Scott Pilgrim, Vol. 6: Scott Pilgrim's…

Scott Pilgrim, Vol. 6: Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour (edition 2010)

by Bryan Lee O'Malley, Bryan Lee O'Malley (Illustrator)

Member:andreablythe
Title:Scott Pilgrim, Vol. 6: Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour
Authors:Bryan Lee O'Malley
Other authors:Bryan Lee O'Malley (Illustrator)
Info:Oni Press (2010), Paperback, 248 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:comics/graphic novels, indie culture, pop culture, read in 2012, 12 in 12 Challenge, library

Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour by Bryan Lee O'Malley

The conclusion!

Oka, here's a movie before books problem. This book was really irritating and disappointing me. I was suddenly scowling at it and having a hard time reading it without judging it as sorely inferior to the movie until I realized what I was doing. As soon as I stopped and acknowledged that this was a different work and of course not building to the same conclusion and let go of that, then I really enjoyed this. Even more than the movie, as the conclusion in the books resolved some of the more fantastical elements (subspace highways, Gideon's powers, etc.) in a way that made sense, and made them relatable metaphors to everyday relationship angst. And gave Scott Pilgrim some more meaningful character growth. (As well as growth for Knives, Stephen Stills, Ramona, Kim...) Wat. Even Natalie/Envy got to grow. Pretty impressive.

Very recommended. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
This series was a pleasure to re-read. Vol. 6 is the final piece of the story. We find out various things about the characters, and the story ends without too many loose ends. People who have seen the movie and have read the comics, may have issues with the vastly different endings. After some research, I found out that O'Malley was not finished with the series when the movie was made- thus some of the big differences. All in all I think older teens would really enjoy the series. ( Adults too) There are some sexual scenes throughout the series, but not explicit.
  DeweyEver | Mar 27, 2014 |
Contrary to what the whole Internet seems to think, this book is called Scott Pilgrim in his Finest Hour according to the title page, not Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour. (Worldcat gets it right, of course. Go librarians.) This is the complicatedest of the Scott Pilgrim books, and though I can't quite parse the metaphorical significance of what happens as well as I could in the previous volumes, everything explodes nicely in the end. There's a lot of good stuff here; "IT WAS HORRIBLE FOR EVERYONE AND THAT INCLUDES YOU" is probably one of the best medium-based gags the series does, and those last few pages are great.
  Stevil2001 | Apr 21, 2013 |
Interesting conclusion. With things like the subspace and the whole evil exes league would have been explained a little more. Overall it was a pretty fun read. ( )
  JessieP73 | Apr 6, 2013 |
Good stupid fun. ( )
  lauren.castan | Apr 3, 2013 |

Bryan Lee O'Malleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ancheta, AaronIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kantz, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scott ... buddy ... I'm waiting.

"Six of Ramona's seven evil exes dispatched, it should be time for Scott Pilgrim to face Gideon Graves, the biggest and baddest of her former beaus. But didn't Ramona take off at the end of Book 5? Shouldn't that let Scott off the hook? Maybe it should, maybe it shouldn't, but one thing is for certain all of this has been building to Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour!"--Amazon.… (more)

Bryan Lee O'Malley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,488,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible