On Folly Beach by Karen White

On Folly Beach (2010)

by Karen White

269None42,493 (3.96)5
    Dream When You're Feeling Blue by Elizabeth Berg (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another beautiful novel set in World War II with dynamics between sisters and a great love story.

I really liked the plot line of On Folly Beach, but I had a difficult time relating to the main character. ( )
  megmo07 | Sep 27, 2013 |
Loved it! This book has it all--a little history, a little mystery, and a bit of romance. Plus it has Folly Beach for it's backdrop! ( )
  dragonflydee1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
A good book. Satisfying. Interesting characters. I particularly liked reading of a South Carolina town during WWII. Family secrets from two generations with a bit of a mysterious disappearance thrown in for good measure. ( )
  kp9949 | Oct 12, 2012 |
I shouldn't have waited so long to review this book after reading it, for it has sunk into the background in light of some of the books I have read since then. Set at my beloved Folly Beach, both in present day and back during WWII, there are enough (correct) local details to delight, and relatively few errors to annoy. I did like the depiction of Folly Beach during the wartime, as it's not a period I have studied much. The story was plausible enough -- wounded soul meets wounded soul and healing begins, plus a back story mystery, as well.

Interestingly enough, the author stopped in at the now defunct Ravenous Reader on Folly Rd, and told my friend Pat, who owned the place, that the RR was exactly like the bookstore she'd envisioned on Folly Beach. Wish it could have kept Pat solvent. ( )
  bookczuk | Apr 25, 2012 |
This was a book about a family and their lies that were buried in the past but it was also about love, loss and forgiveness. The story was that of a mystery that unraveled over two different spans of time, the one where the story began and the one where it was all dug up, relived and finally settled. **For me, I thought it was a little on the dull side but that's because I love a good suspense but I'm not going to fault Karen White for that, I knew what I was choosing when I chose to read this book.

I would recommend this book. ( )
  Sharn | Jun 21, 2011 |
The ocean is the same ocean as it has been of old;
the events of today are its waves and its rivers.
--Sayyid Haydar Amuli
Fourteenth Century
To my parents, Catherine Anne and Lloyd Sconiers. Thank you for your love and guidance.
Emmy awoke to the song of the wind in the bottle tree, to the black night and the winter chill, and knew Ben was gone from her the way the moon knows the ocean's tides.
Paige closed her eyes for a moment and shook her head. Finally, she said, 'This isn't about him anymore. You can choose to unpack your bags at the detour sign and dig a trench for the long haul, or you can make your own detour.'

To most people, Folly Beach is simply the last barrier island before reaching the great Atlantic. To some, it's a sanctuary for lost souls, which is why Emmy Hamilton's mother encourages her to buy the local book store, Folly's Finds, hoping it will distract Emmy from the loss of her husband.

Emmy is at first resistant. So much has already changed. But after finding love letters and an image of a beautiful bottle tree in a box of used books from Folly's Finds, she decides to take the plunge. But the seller insists on one condition: Emmy must allow Lulu, the late owner's difficult sister, to continue selling her bottle trees from its back yard.

For the most part Emmy ignores Lulu as she sifts through the love letters, wanting to learn more. But the more she discovers about the letters, the more she understands Lulu. As details of a possible murder and a mysterious disappearance during WWII are revealed, the two women discover that circumstances beyond their control, sixty years apart, have brought them together, here on Folly Beach. And it is here that their war-ravaged hearts can find hope for a second chance...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:48 -0400)

Folly Beach, South Carolina, has survived despite hurricanes and war. But it's the personal battles of Folly Beach's residents that have left the most scars, and why a young widow has been beckoned there to heal her own. To most people, Folly Beach is simply the last barrier island before reaching the great Atlantic. To some, it's a sanctuary for lost souls, which is why Janie Hamilton's mother encourages her to buy the local bookstore, Folly's Finds, hoping it will distract Janie from the loss of her husband. Janie is at first resistant. So much has already changed. But after finding love letters and an image of a beautiful bottle tree in a box of used books from Folly's Finds, she decides to take the plunge. But the seller insists on one condition: Janie must allow Lulu, the late owner's sister, to continue selling her bottle trees from the store's backyard. For the most part Janie ignores Lulu, and sifts through the love letters. But the more she discovers about the letters, the more she understands Lulu. As details of a possible murder and a mysterious disappearance during World War II are revealed, the two women discover that circumstances beyond their control, sixty years apart, have brought them together, on Folly Beach. And it is here that their war-ravaged hearts can find hope for a second chance.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible