Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Title:Firelight
Authors:Sophie Jordan
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:**
Tags:fantasy, dragons, shapeshifters, romance, teen

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (elbakerone)
    Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: About a teenage girl coming of age and finding her inner strength through a journey of forbidden love, friendship and great family dynamics. A light, funny and entertaining read!
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (Cpassmore)

English (116)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (118)
This book is like a breathe of fresh air in the shape-changer type YA novel universe. I like the unique concept of people who can shift into dragons, or well dragons who can shift into humans. I also liked the decidedly sizzling scenes in this book, they were a lot steamier than most YA romance books I have read, yes, pun intended.

I like the development of the characters throughout the book but I believe that Jacinda, her mother, and her sister all need to figure something out, because all them are asking each other to give up something fundamental to their happiness in one situation or another. So somehow at least one of the family at one time will be depressed. So intro Will...he is doing something that he doesn't believe in for his father's happiness and I have NO CLUE how Jacinda can be with him after going to his house...no freaking way...but if he is the only connection keeping her afloat, well then there is another story all together. *sigh* this story is just so freaking jacked up and depressing all around, yet you CAN NOT stop reading, hence Romeo and Juliet.

The writing throughout the story is very good; it keeps you focused on the story, unable to break away. The writing also has some poetic aspects here and there, which I love to find in a book. The plot is also very good, it has some wonderful surprises and keeps you interested until the very last page. That being said...this book is cliffhanger central, I HATE HATE HATE cliffhangers like this one, especially when we have to wait soooo long for the next installment. Even with the cliffhanger though, definitely worth the read.r ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
My utter disappointment has driven me to give this a pitiful 2 stars. Some would argue it deserves more and up to about 15% in I would’ve agreed with them. In just a small amount of time an original species and history had been born with an adrenaline pumping opening scene but as soon as Jacinda, her sister and mother left the draki community it fell off a cliff.

Not only did it turn into [b:Evernight|2722413|Evernight (Evernight, #1)|Claudia Gray|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1306376600s/2722413.jpg|2748013] with Jacinda inexplicably falling for her hunter but her mother and sister were unbelievably harsh. They showed little sympathy for her and at times were downright cruel. I could almost understand this from the sister’s point of view having to live as an outcast for the past few years due to her inability to shift but the mother’s? For someone who claimed to love her daughter and did this risky thing to protect her, she refused to see how much she was hurting Jacinda with her words and actions. Telling Asking her to kill her draki when Jacinda had come to love that part of her and then travelling to a place where the choice would be taken away was monsterous.

However, this wasn’t my only gripe. The romance. What romance? Jacinda, draki girl meets Will, human hunter and an instant yet powerful connection is formed. Ugh. Although the connection was later explained, and being around Will reinvigorates her draki, their constant yearning for each other was supremely annoying.

And why did Jacinda always put him before her family and their safety? She made dangerously unwise decisions, took risks she shouldn’t all because of her passion for this boy whose hunter family (who’d most likely murdered her father), if they found out about her nature, would turn around and kill her and hunt down her mother and sister. A heavy price to pay to keep her draki alive.

'Can't she understand? What good is safety if you're dead inside.'

'To keep that part of me alive, I have to be close to that which kills it.'

'A sad realization. To know the ones you love will be better off without you around.'

And then Cassian arrives on the scene, ready to drag Jacinda home, even offering to let her family stay. At first I saw him through Jacinda’s eyes, an arrogant heir pursuing her for her rare ability to breathe fire, to own her instead of loving her for who she is, but then as he spoke, I came to cheer him on.

A [b:Blood and Chocolate|30324|Blood and Chocolate|Annette Curtis Klause|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320482019s/30324.jpg|895781] ending would be the best I could hope for, which would mean picking Cassian over the human…and oh no, it’s a trilogy. We’re left wondering how she’ll fare with Cassian after a dramatic incident.

"You did this!"
"Not on purpose. But I am glad I ruined your little romance with that murderer? Hell yeah. You bet."
No doubt [b:Vanish|9436632|Vanish (Firelight, #2)|Sophie Jordan|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327879019s/9436632.jpg|14321219] will be full of pining for her lost human love and glowering at the intriguing Cassian despite his best efforts to help her and of course, woo her. And if we’re really lucky as the third book is being written we’ll hear this trilogy has turned into a series.

And yet…and yet, I’ll probably continue reading. Despite my pessimism I’ll hope for the best now that she’s away from what I see as the negative influences in her new “human” life: Will and her family. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Jacinda es una chica Draki que vive en una comunidad alejada del mundo humano,pero cuando un encuentro fortuito amenaza su existencia,su madre decide llevarlas a ella y su hermana gemela Tamara, a otra ciudad para protegerla. Alli, Jacinda debera adaptarse a otro tipo de vida muy distinto al de su antigua ciudad. Conocera,o mejor dicho,se reencontrara con Will, un chico cazador de Drakis que no tiene intensiones malas para con ella, aunque si su familia. Ante este hecho, ellos viven un romance un poco complicado tratando de mantener a Jacinda alejada de estas personas que quieren hacerle daño,y los de su comunidad que solo la quieren para que tenga descencia Draki,ya que ella es la ultima en su especie...
Tenia dudas sobre este libro,por eso tarde tanto en leerlo, busque reviews e informacion hasta cansarme por miedo de que fuera algo parecido a Twilight XD.
Termine el primer libro y debo decir que me gusto mucho,quizas no tenia tantas expectativas, pero me sorprendio en algunos aspectos,me gusto el hecho de que Jacinda sea una chica independiente que piensa por ella isma a pesar que tiene muchas presiones, y bueno, ya empezare a leer el segundo libro... ( )
  Gaby81 | Aug 28, 2014 |
I have wanted to read this for ages now, because I have watched the beautiful covers for years and wanted to read about the girl who shifted into a draki, a dragon. So, I finally found the ebook at my library and had a bit to read it, so jumped at the chance.

I connected with Jacinda and liked being immersed into her world. She is energized by the mists and water from the earth, and she is a part of a tribe. But her mom doesn't shift anymore and her twin sister never transformed, so she feels like a bit of a loner even in her own family. She loves them a lot but their priorities and the way they perceive draki, the tribe, and their hidden existence has a huge gap. When Jacinda breaks a huge rule, her mom pulls them into the regular world and Tam, her sister couldn't be happier joining a new school and being away from the draki culture. But Jacinda hates the desert, it makes her uncomfortable, and hard to maintain her shifts there.

But at school she meets the boy, the hunter that didn't kill her for some unexplicable reason and she feels amazing around him. She is trying to hide as a human in the regular world but her skin changes and she feels fire in her chest. The draki in this story all fall into different talents and she is the only fire breather, which made her special in her tribe, but also a commodity.

I enjoyed the chemistry and the build up between Will and Jacinda. Its a case of forbidden love, because he is a hunter and she is the prey. But there is something different about Will. She learns things about him that shocks her and maybe makes sense with some of his differences from his family and the draw between Jacinda and him.

So, Tamra and Jacinda's mom. In some aspects I enjoyed the family dynamics and that even though Jacinda didn't understand that her mom is acting in her best interest. No matter how painful or against it Jacinda is. There were also times that I didn't like Tamra much. She seemed so selfish at times and mean to Jacinda, with unrealistic expectations. But the story is also through Jacinda's eyes, so we're biased. But I can also take a step back and imagine how Tam would feel. For most of her life she has been the outsider, the one who didn't fit in because she didn't manifest, and had to watch Jacinda be fawned over and such a big deal while I am sure she felt like a failure.

The twists towards the end as well as things revealed about the pride and their intentions were pretty shocking. I also couldn't quite figure out Cassian and whether he was truly a faker or if there was a bit more beneath the surface. I will be continuing with this series and can't wait to find out what is next with the draki, Jacinda and Will, and how they will make everything wrap up with an HEA.

Bottom Line: Great premise, intense forbidden romance and great start to the series. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Aug 5, 2014 |
I finally got around to reading this, and I wasn’t a disappointed dragon enthusiast. ‘Firelight’ had just the right amount of magic, teen angst and romance to keep me turning the pages. All of the characters in here are dynamic and uniquely intriguing in their own ways, whether they are one of the draki, human, or a hunter. The hunters definitely had a fierce and lethal edge to them, with the exception of Jacinda’s love interest, Will. Written in the style of star-crossed lovers, naturally everything that can go wrong and tear these two apart does, but not in a predictable fashion.

Probably the only point loss for me after reading this was how there is supposedly this other evil organization referred to as the ‘Enkros’, but even after shaking the book upside down, I wasn’t able to pull much info on just who, what, where and why they exist. What I did gather was that they’re dangerous and with some luck they will be better revealed in the next book.

Overall, ‘Firelight’ is a great read and I look forward to continuing on to the next! ( )
  Musefall | Jul 29, 2014 |
Gazing out at the quiet lake, I know the risk is worth it.

Descended from dragons, the draki's ability to appear human protects them from hunters. Jacinda lives with her pride in the Cascades, but she chafes under her special status as the only fire-breather in hundreds of years. Recklessly breaking the “no-fly” rule, she attracts hunters; mercifully, one hunter, a beautiful boy who looks upon her with wonder, lets her escape. After this, the pride intends to hobble her rebelliousness, and Jacinda is forced to flee. But while twin sister Tamra, who never manifested and was shunned, is happy with the move, Jacinda feels only anguish within Nevada's desert climate. Then she meets Will and, despite recognizing him as the same draki hunter, feels herself come alive. Jordan's compelling addition to the supernatural star-crossed lovers theme is equal parts taut suspense and sensuous romance, with visceral writing and believable relationships among characters, particularly among Jacinda's family. A foreshadowed twist and a thrilling confrontation in the end pages leave Jacinda heartbroken and in trouble, and readers will howl for more.

When sixteen-year-old Jacinda, who can change into a dragon, is forced to move away from her community of shapeshifters and start a more normal life, she falls in love with a boy who proves to be her most dangerous enemy.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,047,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible