Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Title:Firelight
Authors:Sophie Jordan
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:**
Tags:fantasy, dragons, shapeshifters, romance, teen

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Recently added byKirSio, private library, emanette, jmiserak, davidgn, CarpeLibra, frederickfranck, jayelaglez, lisseut
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (elbakerone)
    Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: About a teenage girl coming of age and finding her inner strength through a journey of forbidden love, friendship and great family dynamics. A light, funny and entertaining read!
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (Cpassmore)
    Talon (The Talon Saga) by Julie Kagawa (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Dragongirl and dragonhunter love...

English (119)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (121)
No-recomendado por Xime García

Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Tempting, but I bet I'd be disappointed and mad at myself for giving in to temptation.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This book is like a breathe of fresh air in the shape-changer type YA novel universe. I like the unique concept of people who can shift into dragons, or well dragons who can shift into humans. I also liked the decidedly sizzling scenes in this book, they were a lot steamier than most YA romance books I have read, yes, pun intended.

I like the development of the characters throughout the book but I believe that Jacinda, her mother, and her sister all need to figure something out, because all them are asking each other to give up something fundamental to their happiness in one situation or another. So somehow at least one of the family at one time will be depressed. So intro Will...he is doing something that he doesn't believe in for his father's happiness and I have NO CLUE how Jacinda can be with him after going to his house...no freaking way...but if he is the only connection keeping her afloat, well then there is another story all together. *sigh* this story is just so freaking jacked up and depressing all around, yet you CAN NOT stop reading, hence Romeo and Juliet.

The writing throughout the story is very good; it keeps you focused on the story, unable to break away. The writing also has some poetic aspects here and there, which I love to find in a book. The plot is also very good, it has some wonderful surprises and keeps you interested until the very last page. That being said...this book is cliffhanger central, I HATE HATE HATE cliffhangers like this one, especially when we have to wait soooo long for the next installment. Even with the cliffhanger though, definitely worth the read.r ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
My utter disappointment has driven me to give this a pitiful 2 stars. Some would argue it deserves more and up to about 15% in I would’ve agreed with them. In just a small amount of time an original species and history had been born with an adrenaline pumping opening scene but as soon as Jacinda, her sister and mother left the draki community it fell off a cliff.

Not only did it turn into [b:Evernight|2722413|Evernight (Evernight, #1)|Claudia Gray|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1306376600s/2722413.jpg|2748013] with Jacinda inexplicably falling for her hunter but her mother and sister were unbelievably harsh. They showed little sympathy for her and at times were downright cruel. I could almost understand this from the sister’s point of view having to live as an outcast for the past few years due to her inability to shift but the mother’s? For someone who claimed to love her daughter and did this risky thing to protect her, she refused to see how much she was hurting Jacinda with her words and actions. Telling Asking her to kill her draki when Jacinda had come to love that part of her and then travelling to a place where the choice would be taken away was monsterous.

However, this wasn’t my only gripe. The romance. What romance? Jacinda, draki girl meets Will, human hunter and an instant yet powerful connection is formed. Ugh. Although the connection was later explained, and being around Will reinvigorates her draki, their constant yearning for each other was supremely annoying.

And why did Jacinda always put him before her family and their safety? She made dangerously unwise decisions, took risks she shouldn’t all because of her passion for this boy whose hunter family (who’d most likely murdered her father), if they found out about her nature, would turn around and kill her and hunt down her mother and sister. A heavy price to pay to keep her draki alive.

'Can't she understand? What good is safety if you're dead inside.'

'To keep that part of me alive, I have to be close to that which kills it.'

'A sad realization. To know the ones you love will be better off without you around.'

And then Cassian arrives on the scene, ready to drag Jacinda home, even offering to let her family stay. At first I saw him through Jacinda’s eyes, an arrogant heir pursuing her for her rare ability to breathe fire, to own her instead of loving her for who she is, but then as he spoke, I came to cheer him on.

A [b:Blood and Chocolate|30324|Blood and Chocolate|Annette Curtis Klause|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320482019s/30324.jpg|895781] ending would be the best I could hope for, which would mean picking Cassian over the human…and oh no, it’s a trilogy. We’re left wondering how she’ll fare with Cassian after a dramatic incident.

"You did this!"
"Not on purpose. But I am glad I ruined your little romance with that murderer? Hell yeah. You bet."
No doubt [b:Vanish|9436632|Vanish (Firelight, #2)|Sophie Jordan|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327879019s/9436632.jpg|14321219] will be full of pining for her lost human love and glowering at the intriguing Cassian despite his best efforts to help her and of course, woo her. And if we’re really lucky as the third book is being written we’ll hear this trilogy has turned into a series.

And yet…and yet, I’ll probably continue reading. Despite my pessimism I’ll hope for the best now that she’s away from what I see as the negative influences in her new “human” life: Will and her family. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Gazing out at the quiet lake, I know the risk is worth it.

Descended from dragons, the draki's ability to appear human protects them from hunters. Jacinda lives with her pride in the Cascades, but she chafes under her special status as the only fire-breather in hundreds of years. Recklessly breaking the “no-fly” rule, she attracts hunters; mercifully, one hunter, a beautiful boy who looks upon her with wonder, lets her escape. After this, the pride intends to hobble her rebelliousness, and Jacinda is forced to flee. But while twin sister Tamra, who never manifested and was shunned, is happy with the move, Jacinda feels only anguish within Nevada's desert climate. Then she meets Will and, despite recognizing him as the same draki hunter, feels herself come alive. Jordan's compelling addition to the supernatural star-crossed lovers theme is equal parts taut suspense and sensuous romance, with visceral writing and believable relationships among characters, particularly among Jacinda's family. A foreshadowed twist and a thrilling confrontation in the end pages leave Jacinda heartbroken and in trouble, and readers will howl for more.

When sixteen-year-old Jacinda, who can change into a dragon, is forced to move away from her community of shapeshifters and start a more normal life, she falls in love with a boy who proves to be her most dangerous enemy.

211 wanted5 pay8 pay

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,128,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible