Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Title:Firelight
Authors:Sophie Jordan
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:**
Tags:fantasy, dragons, shapeshifters, romance, teen

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Recently added byMusefall, sreeparna, private library, ladyofbadgers, DBReads, MABoone, Christine_Blackthorn
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (elbakerone)
    Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: About a teenage girl coming of age and finding her inner strength through a journey of forbidden love, friendship and great family dynamics. A light, funny and entertaining read!
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (Cpassmore)

English (112)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (114)
I finally got around to reading this, and I wasn’t a disappointed dragon enthusiast. ‘Firelight’ had just the right amount of magic, teen angst and romance to keep me turning the pages. All of the characters in here are dynamic and uniquely intriguing in their own ways, whether they are one of the draki, human, or a hunter. The hunters definitely had a fierce and lethal edge to them, with the exception of Jacinda’s love interest, Will. Written in the style of star-crossed lovers, naturally everything that can go wrong and tear these two apart does, but not in a predictable fashion.

Probably the only point loss for me after reading this was how there is supposedly this other evil organization referred to as the ‘Enkros’, but even after shaking the book upside down, I wasn’t able to pull much info on just who, what, where and why they exist. What I did gather was that they’re dangerous and with some luck they will be better revealed in the next book.

Overall, ‘Firelight’ is a great read and I look forward to continuing on to the next! ( )
  Musefall | Jul 29, 2014 |
Meh - interesting premise but doesn't really flesh it out. Too much "Oooo he's so hot and he makes me burn" everytime they look/touch/kiss each other, too little world/dragon culture building. Little creeped out that she is constantly morphing into a dragon whenever she's turned on - what, suddenly he's making out with a reptile? Gross, can we say bestiality, anyone? ( )
  michellebarton | Feb 19, 2014 |
This book started off strong and really drew me in at first. Unfortunately, it lost that momentum and floundered for a long while, then finally picked up at the end. Jacinda's absolute dependence on Will made me wince. He was the center of the universe and she existed only to be with him. I also grew weary of the constant use of sentence fragments. Like on every page. Completely overdone. Effect lost.

I could be wrong, but it felt as though the story was being dragged out in order to make it into more than one book. Jacinda and Will kiss three or four times (I lost count) and each time, she pulls away because of the fire inside. That same effect could have been achieved with just one kiss and then we could have continued on with the story.

I happen to prefer dialogue-heavy books, since they generally make the reading fly by. Firelight was extremely light on dialogue, relying mostly on introspection, angst, and gazing into one another's eyes.

All that being said, I thought Jordan's word choices were vivid and painted Jacinda's internal landscape well. The story just didn't move fast enough to keep me wanting to find out what happens next. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 7, 2014 |
Unfortunately, Jacinda is no [b:Seraphina|12394100|Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)|Rachel Hartman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1325528367s/12394100.jpg|17375239].
It's Twilight all over again. ( )
  sbinifera | Nov 8, 2013 |
I loved this great little dragon shifter story and can't wait to read the next one in the series. I really enjoy that the author left off this story at a place where it doesn't feel like a giant cliffhanger, but definitely left me wanting to find out what happens next. I would highly recommend this story to the Young Adult and Dragon Shifter Lovers groups. ( )
  AlaskanBookie | Sep 23, 2013 |
Gazing out at the quiet lake, I know the risk is worth it.

Descended from dragons, the draki's ability to appear human protects them from hunters. Jacinda lives with her pride in the Cascades, but she chafes under her special status as the only fire-breather in hundreds of years. Recklessly breaking the “no-fly” rule, she attracts hunters; mercifully, one hunter, a beautiful boy who looks upon her with wonder, lets her escape. After this, the pride intends to hobble her rebelliousness, and Jacinda is forced to flee. But while twin sister Tamra, who never manifested and was shunned, is happy with the move, Jacinda feels only anguish within Nevada's desert climate. Then she meets Will and, despite recognizing him as the same draki hunter, feels herself come alive. Jordan's compelling addition to the supernatural star-crossed lovers theme is equal parts taut suspense and sensuous romance, with visceral writing and believable relationships among characters, particularly among Jacinda's family. A foreshadowed twist and a thrilling confrontation in the end pages leave Jacinda heartbroken and in trouble, and readers will howl for more.

When sixteen-year-old Jacinda, who can change into a dragon, is forced to move away from her community of shapeshifters and start a more normal life, she falls in love with a boy who proves to be her most dangerous enemy.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,614,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible