From Twilight to Breaking dawn : religious…

From Twilight to Breaking dawn : religious themes in the Twilight saga (edition 2010)

by Sandra L. Gravett

Member:seldombites
Title:From Twilight to Breaking dawn : religious themes in the Twilight saga
Authors:Sandra L. Gravett
Info:Saint Louis, Mo. : Chalice Press, c2010.
Collections:Your library, E-books, Read in 2012
Rating:**
Tags:twilight, religion, tween, teen, christianity, vampires, sociology, society, morality, psychology, nonfiction, non-fiction, ebook, @myshelf

This book was boring and repetitive. While there were some good points made, most of the comparisons in this book are stretch, to say the least. I wouldn't bother if I were you. ( )
  seldombites | Jan 20, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was really curious about this book, and was really interested when I got for Early Reviewers. I thought perhaps it was because I received when I had a newborn at home that I could not get into this book at all. I have re-visited it over two years later in trying to finally write a review. Obviously, the enthusiasm is still not there. ( )
  saffron12 | Oct 30, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am a Twilight fan so I was intrigued by this book. After reading it, however, I felt that the reasoning behind the arguments was far stretched and didn't make much sense. ( )
  tmlone | Dec 6, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As I began to read this book, I thought there was no way that there was Religious Themes in the book, but after the first 5-10 pages I started seeing how they all related.

I haven't got to finish reading it yet. So I pulled one from:

Sandra L. Gravett's book "From Twilight to Breaking Dawn: Religious Themes in the Twilight Saga" is another publication which examines the Twilight saga through a religious lens. Dr. Gravett is a philosophy and religion professor as well as a biblical scholar. She takes her expertise in these areas and uses it to show the reader how religious themes are clearly evident in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga.

Gravett begins with a brief introduction, reminding (or in a rare case, enlightening) us of the societal impact that this book series has had in recent years. There is also a short summary of all four books, plus the mention of the online work Midnight Sun. These summaries are helpful for readers (like myself) who have not read the entire series and do not mind plot spoilers.

Continuing, the subsequent chapters take on individual characters or issues and examine them in light of scripture and religious tradition. For the most part Gravett references the standard Christian Bible, but she also uses Mormon texts and other non-canonical books as reference points. As a Southern Baptist Christian, I personally had no need for the comparisons to issues found in non-canonical works. However, if you're looking at these themes in a purely literary manner, they do provide some interesting things to ponder.

Several of the chapters single out one of the main characters in order to examine them. In one, Edward's character is shown to be a Christ figure (according to the Kozlovic model). In another, Bella's possibilities as an Eve figure as well as a Mary figure are explored. Father Carlisle is shown to be a God figure, and Renesmee also shows characteristics of a Christ figure.

Other theological and philosophical issues are addressed, such as determinism, moral choice and Armageddon. In these chapters we get to hear more about Mormon philosophy, as they highly value moral choice (as other faiths do). Armageddon's ties into the final moments of Breaking Dawn are not as strong, but Gravett finds a few ways of comparing them. Overall, she concludes that "on the surface, nothing about the Twilight saga explicitly expresses a religious agenda." (p.99) Yet at the same time, she notices that Meyer often suggests a Christian-themed progression.

Overall I enjoyed Dr. Gravett's work. She came to this subject from the standpoint of a literary and philosophical scholar, not as one standing in any kind of negative judgment of the series. Everything was stated in observation, just as if she was holding a light up to parallels that may not have been easily seen in the past.

Gravett's writing is well crafted and decidedly collegiate, and she ends each chapter with interesting discussion questions. This lends this title toward easy implementation in a classroom or any other small group discussion. The questions she raises and the ideas she presents have given me a deeper appreciation for not only themes that are in the Twilight saga, but also for other works of fiction that I may read in the future. Not every book, character or plot will perfectly mirror those found in scripture, but it becomes interesting to see how God's word and philosophies can permeate all of life.

By: L. Hartness "LHartness" ( )
  KrissZane | Sep 29, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is awaiting a student review.
  MHSLibrary | Aug 4, 2010 |

Stephenie Meyer s bestselling Twilight saga took the young adult fiction world by storm. Although by no means dominant or even particularly overt, Meyer s use of religion nonetheless provides for some intriguing interpretive possibilities. Topics from young love, to abstinence, to the value of family and friends are infused in the stories. Love as an agent of change and a motivational impulse for self-sacrifice also receives significant emphasis. Could Eve and Mary be a pattern for Bella? What about Edward--could he be seen as a Christ-figure? From Twilight to Breaking Dawn assists readers in thinking about the religious themes and images found throughout the Twilight saga. Each chapter discusses a single Twilight character or issue and concludes with questions for individual or group study. This book includes ideas from Judaism, Protestantism, Catholicism, and Mormonism.

From Twilight to Breaking Dawn is perfect for parents wanting to discuss these books with their children or for Twilight lovers interested in pursuing the deeper meaning that lies at the heart of these books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:10 -0400)

Stephenie Meyer?s bestselling Twilight saga took the young adult fiction world by storm. Although by no means dominant or even particularly overt, Meyer?s use of religion nonetheless provides for some intriguing interpretive possibilities. Topics from young love, to abstinence, to the value of family and friends are infused in the stories. Love as an agent of change and a motivational impulse for self-sacrifice also receives significant emphasis. Could Eve and Mary be a pattern for Bella? What about Edward- could he be seen as a Christ-figure?… (more)

Sandra L. Gravett is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

From Twilight to Breaking Dawn: Religious Themes in the Twilight Saga by Sandra L. Gravett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,333,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible