Stalin by Sean McCollum

The history of famous Soviet Union Leader, Joseph Stalin is portrayed throughout this book. Basically, it talks about his life story. How he grew to power at a young age until even after his death. Its also discusses the events in time that happened throughout the entire with well illustrated pictures that gives us a better insight of how things looked like at the time.
  jzsolorzano7 | Mar 21, 2017 |
This book tells us about Stalin's life. How he took control of the USSR and how he stayed in power for so long. We learned about what he did in office, how even though he his main supporters and his country were rich even though the people of his country were not. As a reader we also learned about how he starved his people in order to export as many goods as he could to other countries so his country could become more powerful and wealthy even though they truly weren't.
  BurgessMeredith | Mar 19, 2017 |
There is a lot to learn from reading this book, even if you have some knowledge of Russia and of Stalin during this time period. I was stunned to learn about some of the horrific things that happened under his reign. ( )
  Annabelleurb | Dec 12, 2016 |
This was a very interesting text. I wish that I read it before Breaking Stalins Nose because I think that it would have helped me better understand why people were acting the way that they were in the story and how it impacted the main characters life.
  ninaberger | Nov 13, 2015 |
Summary: This book discusses the communist leader Stalin and his efforts to control the government and its people in Russia through many secrets and with help from the communist party that was completely unaware of Stalin's intentions.

Personal review: I did not like this book. Although it was very informational and explained Stalin his reign in politics, I found it hard to pay attention to at times. I think young children in elementary school would have a hard time understanding the concepts in this book and finding relevance in their lives.

Class use: I would use this book with Breaking Stalin's nose to compare the two books and discuss similarities. The class could have an open discussion about the two books and the information they found useful in each one. I could use the two books in a text set as well on Russia or the communist party or political issues. Political issues could be explored through the lens of time and conflict.
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 22, 2015 |

Stalin turned the Soviet Union into a world power--at an unimaginable cost. He uprooted millions of peasants and starved millions to death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,389,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible