The Sleeping Beauty (Tale of the Five…

The Sleeping Beauty (Tale of the Five Hundred Kingdoms) (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Mercedes Lackey

Member:RobynBachar
Title:The Sleeping Beauty (Tale of the Five Hundred Kingdoms)
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:Luna (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:fantasy, fantasy-romance

The Sleeping Beauty by Mercedes Lackey (2010)

English (20)  German (1)  All (21)
The Sleeping beauty is a wonderful book, a great take on the original. I love Mercedes Lackey's books, the 500 kingdoms series is a very unique take on fairy tales.
  LadyMegel | Feb 7, 2017 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/12887406 ( )
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
This was an okay book, but I really feel like Lacky is struggling with this series now. Almost all the original ideas have faded and now we're left with the carcass of a half-changed fairy tale.

The parts of this book I liked:
- the bird! This one was cute and added quite a bit. Especially as it sang Doom! whenever a background foreshadowing was needed.
- the reappearance of the shield maiden whenever Siegfried goes hero-ing.
- mice-horse

That's about it.

I think things are starting to get a little cliche with the tasks and the villains. For the past few books, we are starting to get very weak villains, which make for weaker protagonists and a worse novel.

Also, I didn't really care for Rosa. The persons of interest were probably Siegfried and Lily. Unfortunately Siegfried is a bit of a Gary-Stu. Does he have any flaws at all? He's always the perfect prince who shares his bread and feeds the animals. So of course they'll all help him when the time comes.

And Lily is delightfully sarcastic, but even her wit can't save this book from a lack of plot.

However, I do like that Lackey continually adds other culture's fairy tales to her novels.

2.5 stars rounded up. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
In the Kingdoms, The Tradition, a powerful, unseen, magical force, works to compel Princes, goose girls, and orphaned girls, whose lives somewhat resemble those of classic fairy tales, into exact copies of them. Whether all the details fit or not. (Like, what if your "destined Prince" is 70 years old, a baby, already married, or gay?)

In this book, Rosa, a Princess approaching her 16th birthday, has seen her mother killed, her father embroiled by war, and a Huntsman trying to kill her. But she has a secret ally, her fairy godmother Lily, who poses as her Evil Stepmother in public, while doing her magical best to avert a tragic ending for Rosa and the Kingdom. There are heroic Princes, a disembodied green face in a mirror, Wise Beasts, a challenge to win the hand of the Princess, dragons, and a beautiful (if stupid) unicorn with a lisp.

It's light, it's funny, the characters are interesting and different, and it twists and turns in unexpected directions, while still providing a HEA (Happily Ever After). Loved this book, love all in this series I've read so far. ( )
  writerbeverly | May 1, 2014 |
Although it only vaguely resembles the fairy tale for which it was named, The Sleeping Beauty is an enjoyable, amusing jaunt into Tradition and how it can be manipulated into a whole new story, with elements of everything else.

Everything was weaved together quite well, with no room for plot holes or inconsistencies. . There was nothing I felt was left unanswered, and although this book is considered a romance book, the romance was properly second place to the plot. The romance subplots proceeded at just the right pace and the appropriate people found each other, and everyone ended up happily ever after.

I greatly look forward to another 500 Kingdoms book, when it comes out in October. This is easily one of the best Mercedes Lackey has written in a while and leaves me eager to try her books again. I recommend this book to anyone who loves tales retold, magic, mythological creatures, and who just plain wants a refreshing jaunt in fairy tale land.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
To Terry Pratchett.
If I can be half as witty and funny on my best days as he is on his worst,
I will be a happy woman.
"Mirror, Mirror, in my hand, who's the fairest in the land?" Fairy Godmother Lily stared intently into the book-size, gilt-framed mirror she held cupped between her palms, and muttered under her breath, "And if you say you are, Jimson, I am going to hurl you so hard against the wall they'll be looking for your shards with tweezers for years."

Rosa believes that for every princess there's a prince, stepmothers should never be trusted, and bad things come to those who break with Tradition. When she is pursued by a murderous huntsman and then captured by dwarves, her beliefs go up in smoke. Sometimes a princess has to create her own happy ending...… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,165,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible