Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Hive Detectives: Chronicle of a Honey…

The Hive Detectives: Chronicle of a Honey Bee Catastrophe

by Loree Griffin Burns

1912092,585 (4.24)2

This book would be a good book to use in a research project. Specifically in locations that are not used to the terminology used with bees. Each page has beautiful photographs to display the information that was given.
  Madelynnvallejo | Nov 26, 2018 |
Overall I really liked the book. It has a nice flow to it! It starts small focusing on one bee keeper (trying to make kids less scared of bees) and moves into the big picture with the bee epidemic/extinction. I really enjoyed a lot of the photos and at times noticed myself just staring at the photos instead of reading. I'm also very passionate about the bee epidemic. Save the Bees! ( )
  jessminson | Sep 3, 2018 |
The author outlines the current situation with honey bee colonies, from how colonies are kept, to colony collapse, to how honey is harvested. The book discusses what colony collapse is and that it affects not just honey production, but also crop production. Several scientists and beekeepers are introduces, as well as possible causes of colony collapse disorder, like certain insects or pesticides.
  LivCerna | Mar 4, 2018 |
This book talks about the process of harvesting honey from bee farms, it uses many pictures to provide more information about the equipment that is used to harvest honey. The book then goes into talking about the decline of bees and what experts are doing to learn why bees are dying.
  ecarlson2014 | Sep 10, 2016 |
After reading this in my garden, I couldn't help but stop to observe the different bees buzzing about on our blue spirea and wonder where their hives were! Informative, readable and compelling, with plenty of color photos for poring over. Let's hope the mystery of colony collapse disorder is solved soon! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Put on your veil, grab your hive tool, and light up your smoker we're going into a beehive.

Picture Book

Without honey bees the world would be a different place. There would be no honey, no beeswax for candles, and, worst of all, barely a fruit, nut, or vegetable to eat. So imagine beekeeper Dave Hackenburg’s horror when he discovered twenty million of his charges had vanished. Those missing bees became the first casualties of a mysterious scourge that continues to plague honey bee populations today. In The Hive Detectives, Loree Griffin Burns profiles bee wranglers and bee scientists who have been working to understand colony collapse disorder, or CCD. In this dramatic and enlightening story, readers explore the lives of the fuzzy, buzzy insects and learn what might happen to us if they were gone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

Bees don't just produce honey. Your food supply depends on them. Apiarist Dave Hackenberg's bees have a busy travel schedule, pollinating around the United States from February to July. So when Dave inspected four hundred of his hives and found that the bees had simply vanished, a dream team of bee scientists got to work.… (more)

Loree Griffin Burns is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible