The Ring of Solomon (2010)

by Jonathan Stroud

Series: Bartimaeus Sequence (prequel)

Wise-cracking djinni Bartimaeus finds himself at the court of King Solomon with an unpleasant master, a sinister servant, and King Solomon's magic ring.
Recently added byArina40, private library, mmedjw, mmonette, AndreaESAnderson, Mspence9

English (51)  German (4)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (56)
Kate and I have listened to all four Bartimaeus books together now and will happily listen to more should Jonathan Stroud decide he wants to keep writing them and as long as Simon Jones keeps reading them. Jones is perfect in giving life to the sassy, irreverent djinni. ( )
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
Bartimaeus is back and is as snarky and irreverent as ever! I was so excited to see that Jonathan Stroud had written a prequel to the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and I’m happy to say it didn’t disappoint, and in fact I think it was better than the third book in the original series (which didn’t feature Bartimaeus as much as I would have liked).

In this outing Bartimaeus, a dijinni, is in Jerusalem serving an evil master under the reign of King Solomon, when a strange turn of events teams him up with an unlikely young girl from Sheba who is trying to protect her Queen from the malevolent King Solomon. Her objective is to steal the Ring of King Solomon (which gives him supreme magical power) and to kill him. You’ll have to read the book to see if she accomplishes her mission…

But what I will tell you is Bartimaeus shines through the whole adventure. I think that he is perhaps my favorite fictional character; I love his witty asides, his cheeky impudence, and the sometimes outrageous shapes he conjures himself into like the mumu wearing, dancing hippo.

Along with the abundance of humor and action in this novel, Stroud explores serious themes of slavery (both physical and psychological) and the responsibility and price of power. But he weaves these themes in so adeptly it does not distract from the story, but seems like a natural part of it.

I listened to this on audio read by Simon Jones, who is the quintessential Bartimaeus. I had actually read the first book in the trilogy, then started listening to them on audio, and eventually went back and listened to the first one on audio because of the absolute fabulous job Jones does. In the audio version all of the footnotes are woven perfectly into the narrative (in the right places), so I think it flows better than having to go to the footnotes in the middle of reading the main text. If you have read the books, but not listened to them-I would suggest you get yourself a copy of audio the books and give yourself a real treat!

I hope this isn’t the last book Stroud writes featuring Bartimaeus, as there must be hundreds, maybe even thousands of adventures that Bartimaeus has been a part of during his 5,000 year career, and I want to hear all of them!
  tshrope | Jan 13, 2020 |
Children's Fiction that reads more like adult fiction. Good read
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I love Bartimaeus, I love Asmira, and I have a very unexpected third fave. I also loved the different relationships between humans and spirits, and the examination of slavery not only in regards to the djinnies, but also those who might not even realise they are being used.

I'm taking points off for a running joke that was fatphobic and unnecessary, but otherwise this might have been 5 stars. ( )
  runtimeregan | Jun 12, 2019 |

Jonathan Stroudprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cravero, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Arthur, with love
Sunset, above the olive groves.

Bartimaeus in
trouble: a magic ring must
not fall in false hands.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,771,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible