The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud

The Ring of Solomon (2010)

by Jonathan Stroud

Series: Bartimaeus (Prequel)

English (46)  German (4)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (51)
So I asked the Facebook hive mind for recommendations of books they loved for my book bingo, and Roya, knowing my recent obsession with djinn stories, recommended this one. And honestly, it just hit all the buttons. First, djinns, second, the plot revolves around King Solomon's ability to control demons, which was the basis for the tradition that led to the instructions for raising Humots, the demon of my tattoo, third, one of the main characters is Asmira, badass female guard of Queen of Sheba.

I don't know if I would qualify this as middle grade or YA, but I did lend this book to Jefferson after I finished it. While it lacks the depths of say, Alif the Unseen, it is a very entertaining adventure story for younger readers. There were a few points where my faith as an adult reader was tested, and thinking the book was going to fall into obvious stereotypes or tropes I almost put the book down, but I'm glad I didn't.

As the main character, the djinni Bartimaeus, is a slave to whoever summons him, slavery and freedom are powerful themes of the book. But Stroud takes it beyond the obvious, revealing ideals, codes, and aspirations that even the powerful are slaves to.

It is an interesting risk, staging this story within the courtship of Solomon and the Queen of Sheba. Just how much will the story conform to what we think we know of this story, and how much will it throw off? Very early our expectations are shattered. I spent most of the story wondering, "Is he just exploding this story? Or will it somehow be redeemed into a more familiar form in the end?"

An easy, amusing, but satisfying read. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
A snarky djinni (aka demon) teams up with a (blindly) loyal guardswoman sent by the Queen of Sheba to assassinate King Solomon of Israel, who she believes is about to attack her nation using powerful demons summoned by his magic ring. I know it sounds kind of lame, but it's actually a fun read as magic, misunderstanding, and mayhem ensue. If you have a taste for lighthearted fantasy filled with names and places from history and myth, you will want to check it out. This is the first book by Stroud that I've read, but I'll be putting another on my TBR list. ( )
  DLMorrese | Aug 23, 2017 |
Not as special as the main trilogy, but lots of fun and consistent with the characters, with interesting background. ( )
  mayhplumb | Jun 15, 2017 |
Bartimaeus is in the service of a court magician, Ezekial, that serves King Solomon of Israel; Bartimaeus kills Ezekial King Solomon has a powerful ring that is said to conjure up the most powerful magical beast, a madrid. Bartimaeus finds himself then serving a new master, Asmira a young female guard warrior of the Queen of Sheba.
Asmira has been sent by the Queen of Sheba to take the ring from Solomon so tht he does not have power over her kingdom. This is the crux of the story, it is not only Asmira who is trying to assassinate Solomon and steal the ring, but also his magicians (un be known to him). Overall an enjoyable read that at times has you chuckling to yourself as read about the mischievous, opinionated character of Bartimaeus. ( )
  rata | Mar 21, 2017 |
Any book with Bartimaeus in it is a good time. I absolutely love his character. He is a funny smart aleck and I love it! ( )
  LenaR0307 | Jan 3, 2017 |

Jonathan Stroudprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cravero, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Arthur, with love
Sunset, above the olive groves.

Bartimaeus in
trouble: a magic ring must
not fall in false hands.
(passion4reading)

Wise-cracking djinni Bartimaeus finds himself at the court of King Solomon with an unpleasant master, a sinister servant, and King Solomon's magic ring.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,956,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible