Bartimaeus: The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan…

Bartimaeus: The Ring of Solomon (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Jonathan Stroud

Member:readafew
Title:Bartimaeus: The Ring of Solomon
Authors:Jonathan Stroud (Author)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:VerDimen, Your library, Read Tracking List
Tags:Fantasy, Young Adult, The Bartimaeus Trilogy, #0, >HC, Summoning, Dijinn, Djinni, Novel, My Scan, Read 2012, Solomon

The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud (2010)

Recently added byShazarah, Edvithe, private library, TildenSchoolLibrary, stephb6, zuzamiller, Salsabrarian

English (36)  German (4)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (41)
Narrated by Simon Jones. The djinn Bartimaeus finds himself enslaved to Asmira, one of the Queen of Sheba's guards who has been sent on a mission to kill King Solomon and steal his powerful ring. As her slave, Bartimaeus must do her bidding and somehow obtain the ring despite all evidence that it is a mission impossible. Jones does great voicework especially with the fussy, cheeky, particular djinn. But the lengthy descriptive passages and Bart's frequent asides interrupted the flow of the story for me and Jones' voice became a lulling drone. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
An interesting afterthought to the Bartimeus Trilogy. This almost seems like it started as a piece edited out of the trilogy, and sparked into its own story. Not as good as the other three, but decent enough to stand alone. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
This is the prequel to the Bartimaeus series. I read it directly after reading the Amulet of Samarkand, but I think that you could read this one first, if you wanted to. I will recommend it to people who liked The Cabinet of Wonders off of last year's William Allen White list.
The audiobook version is extremely well done!! ( )
  saillergirl | Jan 18, 2016 |
The Ring Of Solomon, by Jonathan Stroud
★★★ and 1/2

Synopsis: Bartimaeus, everyone's favorite (wise-cracking) djinni, is back in book four of this best-selling series. As alluded to in the footnotes throughout the series, Bartimaeus has served hundreds of magicians during his 5,010 year career. Now, for the first time, fans will go back in time with the djinni, to Jerusalem and the court of King Solomon in 950s BC. Only in this adventure, it seems the great Bartimaeus has finally met his match. He'll have to contend with an unpleasant master and his sinister servant, and runs into just a "spot" of trouble with King Solomon's magic ring
In A Sentence: Not as good as the Bartimaeus trilogy, but still a fun read
What I Liked: Once again, you gotta love Bartimaeus! He provides the humor that makes the story good. I also liked how we got to see Bartimaeus in a time period long before Nathaniel in England and before Ptolemy in Egypt. We got to meet King Solomon and the Queen Of Sheba, and we got to learn a bit more about Bartimaeus' past. The story was fun and amusing and I liked it.
What Wasn't So Great: Somehow this story seems to lack the energy and pace of the previous books. I felt like the flow was a bit off, and sometimes I got a little bored.
Overall: The book was fun. Simon Jones does an awesome job on audio, and the plot was relatively enjoyable and funny. It wasn't as exciting as the previous books, but I still liked it. Worth a look. ( )
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |
Very good! Ptolemy's Gate remains my favorite, but this was very enjoyable. And the reader for the audio book is FABULOUS. ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |

Jonathan Stroudprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cravero, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Arthur, with love
Sunset, above the olive groves.

Wise-cracking djinni Bartimaeus finds himself at the court of King Solomon with an unpleasant master, a sinister servant, and King Solomon's magic ring.

147 wanted5 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,153,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible