Bartimaeus: The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan…

Bartimaeus: The Ring of Solomon (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Jonathan Stroud (Author)

Member:readafew
Title:Bartimaeus: The Ring of Solomon
Authors:Jonathan Stroud (Author)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:VerDimen, Your library, Read Tracking List
Tags:Fantasy, Young Adult, The Bartimaeus Trilogy, #0, >HC, Summoning, Dijinn, Djinni, Novel, My Scan, Read 2012, Solomon

The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud (2010)

adventure (9) audio (4) audiobook (7) Bartimaeus (23) Bartimaeus Trilogy (8) children's (9) demons (18) djinn (24) England (4) fantasy (114) fiction (29) Genies (7) historical fiction (5) humor (9) Jerusalem (8) kids (5) King Solomon (8) London (5) magic (39) magicians (9) novel (4) read (4) series (10) Solomon (6) teen (5) to-read (10) unread (6) wizards (13) YA (16) young adult (28)

English (30)  German (2)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (33)
Bartimaeus is back! This is the fourth novel featuring the willful, sarcastic Djinni and he is in fine form indeed. Set before the Bartimaeus Trilogy ("Amulet of Samarkand" etc) this tale focuses on King Solomon. A powerful Egyptian king who keeps his people in check by possessing a very strong spirit, trapped in a ring. Bartimaeus is at his typically irreverent best, savaging his master with his cutting wit and sharp tongue. This does not lead him to make many friends, and indeed leads to him falling into the grasp of an assasssin, a young woman sent to kill the king. Charged with an utterly hopeless mission, with sure death as its goal, Bartimaeus takes it all in his (grudging and sarcastic) stride and gives us a most entertaining tale indeed. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
I listened to this on cd and the narrator was so good that it took what would probably be to me a 3.5-4 star book to five stars. I liked the plot better than the first three books and those were great, too. What makes them fantastic is Bartimaeus and his sarcasm, wit, and his whole put-upon-but-secretly-I-don't-mind attitude.

I wish Stroud would write more in this series. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

I wish Stroud would write more in this series. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
I read the first Bartimaeus book awhile back and didn’t love it enough to keep reading the series. However, I’d heard good things about this prequel, and also it beat Conspiracy of Kings in the SLJ Battle of the Books, so I clearly needed to actually read it. I enjoyed it a lot, and I can see why Richard Peck would have chosen it, even if I still disagree. ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
A prequel to Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy. The reader knows that Bartimaeus survives, but it's still enjoyably suspenseful. This story underscores how old the demons are and how short the lives of humans and their empires. Many characters have very nice psychological storylines and the narrative is constructed with Stroud's usual care. The question of whose perspective, if anyone's, reflects reality is, as in his other work, a subtext once you know to look for it. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |

Jonathan Stroudprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cravero, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Arthur, with love
Sunset, above the olive groves.

Wise-cracking djinni Bartimaeus finds himself at the court of King Solomon with an unpleasant master, a sinister servant, and King Solomon's magic ring.

161 wanted5 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,549,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible