Blockade Billy by Stephen King

Blockade Billy (edition 2010)

by Stephen King

1,073617,788 (3.31)1 / 59
Member:ginaladams
Title:Blockade Billy
Authors:Stephen King
Info:

Blockade Billy by Stephen King

English (60)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
Stephen King's still got it. At least as far as short stories go, as he hasn't written a quality book in almost a decade (this from his number one fan). This "book" is a bit of a con though, as it isn't a book at all, but a large-fonted big-margined not-even-novella-length short story. It is a good short story though, a very good one. With me, you can't go wrong when King and baseball join forces.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
King does it again with true to life characters and a take that builds slowly in suspense. Through the use of his favorite sport, baseball, and his dark side he leads us on a journey through a season of America's favorite past time ewith a twist. Even as the story ends I want to jump to my feet shouting Blockade! ( )
  NewLiz | May 26, 2015 |
The first British edition and has a second story, Morality, so this is the edition to go for, unless you want a first edition for its own sake.

Everything I know about baseball I know from Naked Gun, so large parts are unintelligible and really only function for me as delaying tactics for the big reveal, which isn't really that big. Not a bad story though. Enjoyable. Same for Morality. No great shakes, but fun. ( )
  Lukerik | May 12, 2015 |
I picked up this very small book for something to read on my way to a deer stand. It contains two short stories, and when I say short, I mean seriously short. The book consists of 132 pages, but they are small pages with large type and liberal spacing. Suffice it to say that I had finished the entire book, with numerous breaks to scope the surrounding country, and found myself with plenty of time on my hands before dark.

The stories themselves are moderately amusing and entertaining, but so short that they are over before you can get into them. Stories of this length should be printed in a magazine or compiled in a collection containing about a dozen different stories. To package two stories of such length into a book is nothing but a money grab. ( )
  santhony | Dec 17, 2014 |
This book was actually pretty good, but I'm not very familiar with baseball and its rules, so I felt like I did not enjoy the book as much as I could have. Not only that, the story, as many of King's short stories, had the potential to be something much bigger, more or less in the Firestarter style. Billy was such a cool and deep character, I think he deserved a story better than just a coach's flashback.
As for the extra story, I found it of the right size. It was a good one, but definitely not as captivating as the main one. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
As King's fiction goes, this suspenseful short is a deftly executed suicide squeeze, with sharp spikes hoisted high and aimed at the jugular on the slide home.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 5, 2010)

This is for every guy (and gal) who ever put on the gear.
William Blakely?

Long-time baseball fan Stephen King's darkly funny novella of the Golden Age of baseball tells the story of one of the best players ever and why you've never heard of him.

From New York Times bestselling author Stephen King comes the haunting story of Blockade Billy , the greatest Major League baseball player to be erased from the game. Even the most die-hard baseball fans don't know the true story of William "Blockade Billy" Blakely. He may have been the greatest player the game has ever seen, but today no one remembers his name. He was the first--and only--player to have his existence completely removed from the record books. Even his team is long forgotten, barely a footnote in the game's history. Every effort was made to erase any evidence that William Blakely played professional baseball, and with good reason. Blockade Billy had a secret darker than any pill or injection that might cause a scandal in sports today. His secret was much, much worse... and only Stephen King, the most gifted storyteller of our age, can reveal the truth to the world, once and for all.… (more)

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,920,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible