Blockade Billy by Stephen King

Blockade Billy (edition 2010)

by Stephen King

1,187716,765 (3.31)1 / 63
Member:ginaladams
Title:Blockade Billy
Authors:Stephen King
Info:

Blockade Billy by Stephen King

English (70)  Dutch (1)  All languages (71)
The total of this book gets 3,5 stars, because I did not like the stories equally much (or less).

The first one, Eenmalige zonde, was a good one. About the desire of one person to sin and how he gets another person to do it for him.
And how the sin effects both him and the people that have to live with committing it.

I liked to play baseball (honkbal in Dutch) in the sports lessons during grammar school, but after so many years not playing, I do not remember much about the rules.
Blockade Billy was mainly about baseball, or baseball was the vehicle for the things King wanted to tell.
What that was, mostly escaped my attention, because the baseball part was the biggest chunk. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Sep 22, 2016 |

Yes I hardly know much about the sport baseball and do not understand the love for it although thinking a little more about it, I understand that love much more than for instance the love for American football or basketball. So boring but baseball can be very entertaining. So in hindsight yes I can understand.
Anyway, I wish I understood more of the terms SK was using in this book because I am sure it would make the story even better because you understand more what is happening in the game.

Even though I did not I really enjoyed this book (story) . Sorry Dean Koontz. I used to buy all your books too but you have had too many duds and SK never writes very bad books. Always at least 3 stars worth in my opinion.
Stephen King is The Master!

Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Nice short story/novelette by King.

In general, I am not a big reader of short stories--I tend to like to enjoy getting lost in a story for a longer period of time then it takes for me to read most short stories. However, in general I find King's short stories extremely satisfying--they are beautifully complete, with an introduction, a plot that leads to a climactic moment (or two) and a satisfying closeout. It is like his short stories are written in exactly the style that I was taught to write essays in elementary school: Opening paragraph that states the thesis, three paragraphs with examples to prove the thesis, and a closing paragraph where you restate the thesis. There is something very satisfying to me to read a short story that this constructed so simply and comprehensibly.

magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |
Very quick read, read it in less than an hour. Never read anything by stephen king until this. I dont get sports at all so most of the lingo was lost on my but there was an interesting twist in the end. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
As King's fiction goes, this suspenseful short is a deftly executed suicide squeeze, with sharp spikes hoisted high and aimed at the jugular on the slide home.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 5, 2010)

This is for every guy (and gal) who ever put on the gear.
William Blakely?

Long-time baseball fan Stephen King's darkly funny novella of the Golden Age of baseball tells the story of one of the best players ever and why you've never heard of him.

From New York Times bestselling author Stephen King comes the haunting story of Blockade Billy , the greatest Major League baseball player to be erased from the game. Even the most die-hard baseball fans don't know the true story of William "Blockade Billy" Blakely. He may have been the greatest player the game has ever seen, but today no one remembers his name. He was the first--and only--player to have his existence completely removed from the record books. Even his team is long forgotten, barely a footnote in the game's history. Every effort was made to erase any evidence that William Blakely played professional baseball, and with good reason. Blockade Billy had a secret darker than any pill or injection that might cause a scandal in sports today. His secret was much, much worse... and only Stephen King, the most gifted storyteller of our age, can reveal the truth to the world, once and for all.… (more)

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,271,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible