Blockade Billy by Stephen King

Blockade Billy (edition 2010)

by Stephen King

1,111637,443 (3.31)1 / 59
Title:Blockade Billy
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Cemetery Dance Publications (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 112 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Tags:novella, audio, read 2012

Blockade Billy by Stephen King

English (62)  Dutch (1)  All languages (63)
This was not one of my favorites by Mr. King. There's two stories in the book, Blockade Billy and Morality.

Blockade Billy - story about a catcher who seems a little off. First off I don't like baseball and had a hard time understanding the lingo.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/97774.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Oct 19, 2015 |
Stephen King and baseball...what a combination in this short novella. There were few characters and I really liked the Granny character. Billy's character was a little strange. The buildup in the story itself justifies the end, which is not scarey, but just is. ( )
  buffalogr | Aug 4, 2015 |
Stephen King's still got it. At least as far as short stories go, as he hasn't written a quality book in almost a decade (this from his number one fan). This "book" is a bit of a con though, as it isn't a book at all, but a large-fonted big-margined not-even-novella-length short story. It is a good short story though, a very good one. With me, you can't go wrong when King and baseball join forces.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
King does it again with true to life characters and a take that builds slowly in suspense. Through the use of his favorite sport, baseball, and his dark side he leads us on a journey through a season of America's favorite past time ewith a twist. Even as the story ends I want to jump to my feet shouting Blockade! ( )
  NewLiz | May 26, 2015 |
The first British edition and has a second story, Morality, so this is the edition to go for, unless you want a first edition for its own sake.

Everything I know about baseball I know from Naked Gun, so large parts are unintelligible and really only function for me as delaying tactics for the big reveal, which isn't really that big. Not a bad story though. Enjoyable. Same for Morality. No great shakes, but fun. ( )
  Lukerik | May 12, 2015 |
As King's fiction goes, this suspenseful short is a deftly executed suicide squeeze, with sharp spikes hoisted high and aimed at the jugular on the slide home.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 5, 2010)
This is for every guy (and gal) who ever put on the gear.
William Blakely?

Long-time baseball fan Stephen King's darkly funny novella of the Golden Age of baseball tells the story of one of the best players ever and why you've never heard of him.

From New York Times bestselling author Stephen King comes the haunting story of Blockade Billy , the greatest Major League baseball player to be erased from the game. Even the most die-hard baseball fans don't know the true story of William "Blockade Billy" Blakely. He may have been the greatest player the game has ever seen, but today no one remembers his name. He was the first--and only--player to have his existence completely removed from the record books. Even his team is long forgotten, barely a footnote in the game's history. Every effort was made to erase any evidence that William Blakely played professional baseball, and with good reason. Blockade Billy had a secret darker than any pill or injection that might cause a scandal in sports today. His secret was much, much worse... and only Stephen King, the most gifted storyteller of our age, can reveal the truth to the world, once and for all.… (more)

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible