Blockade Billy by Stephen King

Blockade Billy (edition 2010)

by Stephen King

Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Rating:***
Tags:novella, audio, 2012

Blockade Billy by Stephen King

Recently added bySnowlady, private library, ssimon2000, EdGoldstein, Ghostly1, PollyCheung, owlgirl
2010 (19) baseball (90) baseball fiction (9) Cemetery Dance (10) collection (5) ebook (15) fiction (118) First Edition (12) hardcover (22) HC (6) horror (82) Kindle (7) King (14) library (10) limited (4) murder (8) mystery (8) novella (34) own (5) read (9) read in 2010 (14) short stories (29) short story (9) slipcase (5) sports (20) Sports Fiction (5) Stephen King (34) suspense (20) thriller (7) to-read (13)

English (58)  Dutch (1)  All languages (59)
Baseball is a sport that I have a hard time supporting. A few years ago (approx. 8 to be exact) I had seen a live game between the Boston Red Sox and the Toronto Blue Jays. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, it's a totally different animal live. It comes across as lively and exciting. However, I cannot sit down and watch it on television - just doesn't do it for me.

That being said, I seem to enjoy fiction about the sport. I'm a big fan (and quite possibly one of the only ones) of 2005's Fever Pitch as well as Rookie of the Year and the Angels in the Outfield movies from my youth. Actually, when I was a youngster going through the sixth grade, we had bi-weekly creative writing assignments and I would always write short stories about baseball or hockey; sports in general really. I can't remember if they were ever any good - truth be told; they were probably terrible - but I loved writing them.

Anyway, this brings me to the subject of this review. I've been on a real Stephen King kick lately. I've read 4 of his books so far this year (The Dark Tower 1 and 2, Under The Dome, ..On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft) and have just finished my 5th, Blockade Billy.

Clocking in at a dismal 81 pages, Blockade Billy certainly doesn't overstay its welcome. King lets the story take the tone of a sit down interview; a casual conversation with someone knowledgeable of the sport. He builds the tension well over the short amount of time he's given himself - the reader is slowly given reason to suspect that Billy might not "be all there".

King lets his love of baseball shine through here, you believe that this is an era of the game that he misses fondly. He seems to take subtle digs at the state of the sport today; taking the opposition to "big money contracts" and the state of baseball's business aspect. Also, King throws in a ton of old baseball lingo but I never really felt lost in the conversation. It may have something to do with the fact that I know just enough about the game to get by - I have no idea how this will translate into the average Joe.

When I had finished, I sort of thought that maybe it had ended just a little too soon (I'm slowly becoming a fan of longer, more detailed fiction). After having a couple of days to sit on it, I think the amount of story is just perfect. This being the first short story I've read from him; it has me excited for this fall's "Full Dark; No Stars" short story collection. I'll be picking that up for sure. ( )
1 vote branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I wanted to give this 4 stars, but it needed to be longer and more fleshed-out, in my opinion. As it is, it's a good story, but that's about it. Some very nice touches, though.
Note: I did not get the second story, "Morality," with my edition, so I'm not reviewing it. ( )
  rainidontmind | Mar 14, 2014 |
Read this a week after the Super Bowl; a few weeks after the Patriots lost the AFC Championship game. I am ready for Pitchers/Catchers to arrive at spring training, in what, a couple weeks?! The first three quarters of the book was good stuff. Not crazy about the odd conclusion/ending, but overall, a good read. ( )
  mainrun | Feb 6, 2014 |
Great narrative flow as expected from King, but as I know next to nothing about the technicalities of baseball I really couldn't connect. ( )
  Kate_Ward | Nov 12, 2013 |
Halloween 2013#2

The second book this Halloween Season happens to be a novella by [[Stephen King]], whose another work, [Doctor Sleep] in on my list for this Halloween.

This baseball story is based in the 50s and focusses on the magnificent, but short career of the Catcher, Billy. Sounds pretty routine, right? Well, there is quite a bit of build up to the story, the details, always the details, closet skeletons, and some darkness, but it is a summer breeze compared to a typical [[King]] work. I know this is not much of a review, but then, this was not much of a book, neither in quantity, nor in content.

3/5 ( )
  PiyushC | Nov 5, 2013 |
As King's fiction goes, this suspenseful short is a deftly executed suicide squeeze, with sharp spikes hoisted high and aimed at the jugular on the slide home.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 5, 2010)

This is for every guy (and gal) who ever put on the gear.
William Blakely?

Long-time baseball fan Stephen King's darkly funny novella of the Golden Age of baseball tells the story of one of the best players ever and why you've never heard of him.

From New York Times bestselling author Stephen King comes the haunting story of Blockade Billy , the greatest Major League baseball player to be erased from the game. Even the most die-hard baseball fans don't know the true story of William "Blockade Billy" Blakely. He may have been the greatest player the game has ever seen, but today no one remembers his name. He was the first--and only--player to have his existence completely removed from the record books. Even his team is long forgotten, barely a footnote in the game's history. Every effort was made to erase any evidence that William Blakely played professional baseball, and with good reason. Blockade Billy had a secret darker than any pill or injection that might cause a scandal in sports today. His secret was much, much worse... and only Stephen King, the most gifted storyteller of our age, can reveal the truth to the world, once and for all.… (more)

Current discussions

Feb. 2014's SK Flavor of the Month - Blockade Billy in King's Dear Constant Readers

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible