Buried Secrets by Joseph Finder

Buried Secrets (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Joseph Finder, Holter Graham (Narrator)

Member:marblerye
Title:Buried Secrets
Authors:Joseph Finder
Other authors:Holter Graham (Narrator)
Info:MacMillan Audio (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Buried Secrets by Joseph Finder (2011)

Loved this book by Joseph Finder. A surly teenage girl, Alexa, has been kidnapped. The question is why and by whom? If you read VANISHED, Nick Heller is back in this book. Nick is a family friend with Alexa's dad and is called in to find Alexa and rescue her. Lots of shady characters and twists and turns. Great read for my weekend! ( )
  Kappadeemom | Oct 27, 2014 |
Nick heller trying to save buried girl ( )
  btfoss | Jun 11, 2014 |
I have heard great things about the first Nick Heller book, Vanished, so when I got the chance to review Buried Secrets I jumped at it. I was a little unsure of whether not having read Vanished would put me at a disadvantage for enjoying Buried Secrets, but it certainly didn’t seem to. Whilst I’m sure there may have been little references that I missed but I never felt confused or as if I’d missed anything.

The plot is pretty gripping, we’re introduced to Alexa first and get to know her a little before she is kidnapped and buried alive. Her story is narrated in the third person, and I think this works well – reading the descriptions of both what is happening to her and what her kidnapper is doing lends itself to the narration. I found some of the passages describing her situation challenging to read, it really felt tense and claustrophobic.

Nick is introduced after Alexa is kidnapped, we get to see him dealing with a client before he gets the call about her case. I liked this, it meant I got a feel for him before he was thrown into the kidnapping case. In contrast to Alexa’s story the Nick thread is narrated in the first person. I sometimes find shifts in storytelling like this a bit clunky and awkward, but Finder pulls it off brilliantly. I think again that it works well for the type of narrative, I liked being able to follow Nick’s thoughts as he progressed through the case.

The plot is pretty involved, Nick has to uncover layer upon layer of lies and cover ups. I think Finder just about gets away with some of the more extreme plot points, though a couple did make me shake my head a little. It certainly felt like Nick had some convenient contacts and inside knowledge. That said, the reveal at the end of who was behind everything did work for me.

The need at times to suspend belief didn’t affect my enjoyment of this book at all, once I’d started reading it I found it very hard to put down and finished it in two sittings. I loved the occasional mentions of comic books, I always enjoy geeky references in the books I read. I’m certainly going to be going back and reading Vanished, and I’m sure I’ll probably give some of Joseph Finder’s other books a go too. ( )
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |

juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |
Basic fast read crime novel with some surprises but somewhat predictable throughout. I thought the ending was a little weak compared to the main body. This was my first Joseph Finder read and while it kept my interest I'm not sure enough to pursue further episodes of Nick Heller. ( )
  EasyEd | Jan 31, 2013 |

Joseph introduced Nick Heller — a “private spy” who finds out things powerful people want to keep hidden — in the New York Times bestselling novel VANISHED.

Now, in BURIED SECRETS, Nick Heller returns, finding himself in the middle of a life-or-death situation that’s both high-profile and intensely personal.

Nick has returned to his old home town of Boston to set up his own shop. There he’s urgently summoned by an old family friend. Hedge fund titan Marshall Marcus desperately needs Nick’s help. His teenaged daughter, Alexandra, has just been kidnapped. Her abduction was clearly a sophisticated, professional job, done with extraordinary precision, leaving no trace evidence. Alexandra, whom Nick has known since she was an infant, is now buried alive, held prisoner in an underground crypt, a camera trained on her, her suffering streaming live over the internet for all to see. She’s been left with a limited supply of food and water and, if her father doesn’t meet the demands of her shadowy kidnappers, she’ll die. And as Nick begins to probe, he discovers that his old friend Marshall Marcus seems to have been running a Ponzi scheme. His fund has collapsed, the FBI has arrested him, and now he’s become the most hated man in America. He has a lot of powerful enemies who may have the motivation to go after his daughter. But to find out who’s holding Alexandra Marcus hostage, Nick has to find out why. And once he does, he uncovers an astonishing conspiracy that reaches up to the highest levels of government. If he’s going to find Alexandra, he has to flush out and confront some of the most deadly opponents ever...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312379145, Hardcover)

Product Description
Joseph Finder introduced Nick Heller, a “private spy” who finds out things powerful people want to keep hidden, to widespread acclaim from the critics and wild enthusiasm from the readers, in the New York Times bestselling novel Vanished. Now, in Buried Secrets, Nick Heller returns, finding himself in the middle of a life-or-death situation that’s both high-profile and intensely personal.

Nick has returned to his old home town of Boston to set up his own shop. There he’s urgently summoned by an old family friend. Hedge fund titan Marshall Marcus desperately needs Nick’s help. His teenaged daughter, Alexa, has just been kidnapped. Her abduction was clearly a sophisticated professional job, done with extraordinary precision. Alexa, whom Nick has known since she was young, is now buried alive, held prisoner in an underground crypt, a camera trained on her, her suffering streaming live over the internet. She’s been left with a limited supply of food and water and, if her father doesn’t meet the demands of her shadowy kidnappers, she’ll die. And as Nick begins to probe, he discovers that all is not quite right with Marshall Marcus’s business. He’s being investigated by the FBI, he has a lot of shady investors, his fund is in danger and now he has a lot of powerful enemies who may have the motivation to go after Marcus’s daughter. But to find out who’s holding Alexa Marcus hostage, Nick has to find out why. Once he does, he uncovers an astonishing conspiracy that reaches far beyond anything he could have imagined. And if he’s going to find Alexa in time, he will have to flush out and confront some of his deadliest opponents ever.

Amazon Exclusive: Reacher and Heller
by Lee Child, author of the bestselling Jack Reacher series

Some say it was Virginia and some say it was North Carolina but all agree it was a bar. Everyone was drinking domestic beer, except Reacher, who was drinking coffee, and inevitably after an hour the talk turned to guys people knew. Reacher sat quiet, not really part of the group, content to ignore the war stories and the tall tales, until the name Nick Heller came up. Someone said Heller had been one of General Hood's boys, and was therefore suspect, because everyone knew Hood was as bent as a nine dollar bill. Reacher shook his head and spoke for the first time in an hour.

"No," he said. "Heller worked for Hood, but he was never one of the boys. In fact the smart money said Heller was the guy who would take Hood down one day."

"You know Heller?" someone asked.

"No," Reacher said again. "But I met a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy. And I heard things."

"And?"

"I made a mental note, that's all. Heller's OK."

"As good as us?"

"Better."

"Than you too?"

Reacher smiled. "He's in the rear view mirror. A little closer than some."

"What's he like?"

"He drives a Land Rover. A thing called a Defender. British. Like a Willys jeep without the frills. That's about all you need to know, right there."

"So he's a caveman, like you."

"No, that's where it gets complicated. He's very smart with technology. I heard he did a couple of years in D.C. with one of those hi-tech Beltway firms. Like the CIA, but private. Better paid. And more efficient, obviously."

"I heard he's in Boston," someone said.

Reacher nodded.

"There was an issue."

"What kind?"

"Ethical, probably. Heller's got a backbone. Guys like that have problems in D.C."

"His dad was a crook."

"Financial," Reacher said.

"They're all crooks. But Heller's OK."

"Would you trust him? You?"

"Probably," Reacher said. "He's a stand-up guy. Apparently he went to bat for his brother a year or so ago. No reason to, but he did. It was a bad situation, too. But he came out ahead. Some very nice moves. There's a nephew, they say. Weird kid, but Heller does his best. And his mother is still on the scene. Someone once told me a guy who gets along with his mother can't be all bad."

"Who told you that?"

"My mother."

"What's he doing in Boston? Private eye?"

"Not exactly," Reacher said. "More like a private spy. He put together a crew up there. They do the CIA stuff in the office, and then he goes and does the black ops stuff himself. One stop shopping."

"Is he a Red Sox fan?"

"I hope not."

"Still, Boston. Quiet up there."

"Not very," Reacher said. "Guy I met was talking about a kidnapping. Some rich girl taken out of a night club. Billionaire father, and so on and so forth. Some serious Russians involved. I mean, serious as lung cancer. But it turned out OK."

"That was Heller?"

"Lips are sealed, but I don't see who else it could have been. It was done about ninety percent the same way I would have done it. Which means it had to be Heller. There's no one else that good up there."

"You've got competition," someone said.

Reacher smiled again.

"Human nature," he said. "There are always new guys. Law of averages says some of them will be good."

"Would you call him? If you were in trouble in Boston?"

"I don't have a phone," Reacher said.

"But I'd be happy enough if he happened to show up. We could do some damage together, that's for damn sure."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:25 -0400)

Nick Heller comes to the aid of family friend Marshall Marcus, whose daughter Alexandra, has been kidnapped and held captive in an underground crypt; but as Nick digs deeper into Marshall's life, he finds that his criminal activities have left behind scores of enemies that reach to the highest levels of government.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Buried Secrets by Joseph Finder was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,040,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible