Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich

Twelve Sharp (2006)

by Janet Evanovich

Series: Stephanie Plum (12)

English (84)  Swedish (1)  All languages (85)
I do believe that Twelve Sharp has to be the most realistic of Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. In it, someone dangerous and quite crazy is impersonating Ranger. It starts off harmless enough with a stolen line of credit. It soon escalates when the Impersonator kidnaps Ranger's daughter, Julie.

Ranger now has to lie low and chooses Stephanie's apartment to do so. Especially when Fake Ranger begins to make threats against her. Meanwhile, Stephanie's family life is pretty chill except her kooky grandmother wants to join Lula and Sally Sweet's rock band. Not to mention, someone calling themselves Ranger's wife wants to kill Stephanie.

I really enjoyed Twelve Sharp. It was very realistic and very relaxed considering all of the high octane action going on. Most of the time in the Plum series, there's A LOT going on. Usually Stephanie is being threatened while she pines over both Morelli and Ranger along with the FTAs and the family drama. All of that happened in Twelve Sharp but it was very muted.

Stephanie and Lula were very competent in their bounty hunter business and the family drama was not very dramatic. The grandmother joined a band. That was it. The main storyline with Ranger and his daughter was compelling enough that the less is more concept worked here. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
Yes, they are formulaic. Yes, they are light. Yes, they don’t challenge you. Well, so what. They’re a lot of fun. I’ve read all of the Stephanie Plum series, and I enjoy the formula, the humor, and the zany family (Grandma Mazur’s passion for funeral viewings is hysterically the opposite of the revulsion most of us have for such events.) I sooo empathize with Stephanie’s father who is just trying to hold it together in the presence of Grandma Mazur, who, having shot the Thanksgiving turkey with a .45 in a previous book, has now joined Lula’s band as a singer visiting retirement homes. They decide to practice at Stephanie’s during dinner and all Dad wants to do is watch the Yankees, but the noise, the costumes (Grandma is wearing a studded color and an ice cream cone bra, you get the picture) are driving him to a state Morelli can only describe as similar to victims of a multiple vehicle accident. Very funny scene. The only thing worrying me is that I suspect Grandma Mazur isn’t much older than I. That truly sucks.

In this volume, a Ranger wanna-be is stalking him and kidnaps his daughter, trying to become a pseudo-Ranger. He’s killing people who get in the way; but who cares about the plot. We read these for quirky and very funny characters.

A final note. Several of the one-star reviewers on Amazon complained that Stephanie was immoral and needs to stop sleeping with both Ranger and Morelli. That’s interesting because I had the sense (and my wife agrees) that that is not at all the case and that she has remained faithful to Morelli. Yes, in this one she “sleeps” with Ranger, but only literally and Platonicly. So to those who think Stephanie is immoral, get over it and go back to your Harlequins. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
This is by far my favorite book of the series that I have read. There was action that kept me on the edge of my seat, and enough love triangle to satisfy. I loved getting to know more about Ranger and finally meeting his daughter. I can't wait to read the next book. I would highly recommend this book. ( )
  dpappas | May 6, 2013 |
Transferring information from 2006 spreadsheet
  sally906 | Apr 3, 2013 |
I know they are formulaic and over the top, but the Stephanie Plum series is my go-to series whenever I need something light and comical. As usual Evanovich delivers with this one. I thought this one was actually better than some of the previous ones in the series because Evanovich actually moved a bit away from her usual formula. Stephanie’s car surprisingly makes it in one piece, she doesn’t get as beat up and there were some nice surprises in terms of character development. Also, the mystery person was revealed pretty early in the book so it became more of a beat the clock type of story instead of a who-dun-it type of mystery. I like the changes and I hope that Evanovich continues to veer away from the formula in the future books.

What I didn’t care for though is the damn love triangle. It’s not developing at all. For FFS, even the insipid Sookie has picked a man and gone with it! I don’t understand Stephanie’s commitment issues, her reasons for them or why she can’t make out the difference between lust and love. It’s the one thing I really find annoying in this series.

As usual the secondary characters, like Lula, Grandma Mazur and Stephanie’s father continually deliver comedy relief. I really liked Lula and Sally Sweets in this one. The whole band thing was hilarious. Marvin Pickle, the movie theatre pervert, is also a nice addition to the cast. I also really loved getting to know Ranger better. Mmmm, he’s so damn yummy!
  Jaguar897 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woohoo!  To team Evanovich:  Alex, Peter and SuperJen
When I was twelve years old I accidentally substituted salt for sugar in a cake recipe.

Welcome to Trenton, New Jersey, where bounty hunter Stephanie Plum's life is about to implode in Janet Evanovich's wildest, hottest novel yet!

FIRST A STRANGER APPEARS
While chasing down the usual cast of miscreants and weirdos Stephanie discovers that a crazed woman is stalking her.

THEN THE STRANGER REVEALS HER SECRETS
The woman dresses in black, carries a 9mm Glock, and has a bad attitude and a mysterious connection to dark and dangerous Carlos Manoso …street name, Ranger.

NEXT, SOMEBODY DIES
The action turns deadly serious, and Stephanie goes from hunting skips to hunting a murderer.

SOON, THE CHASE IS ON
Ranger needs Stephanie for more reasons than he can say.  And now, the two are working together to find a killer, rescue a missing child, and stop a lunatic from raising the body count.  When Stephanie Plum and Ranger get too close for comfort, vice cop Joe Morelli (her on-again, off-again boyfriend) steps in.

Will the ticking clock stop at the stroke of twelve, or will a stranger in the wind find a way to stop Stephanie Plum…forever?  Filled with Janet Evanovich's trademark action, nonstop adventure, and sharp humor, Twelve Sharp shows why her novels have been called "hot stuff" (The New York Times), and Evanovich herself "the master" (San Francisco Examiner).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:32 -0400)

The new Stephanie Plum adventure.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible