Hard Eight by Janet Evanovich

Hard Eight (2002)

by Janet Evanovich

Series: Stephanie Plum (8)

5,000None908 (3.93)39
Recently added byY2Ash, mkbird, ReadyMcBookerson, pathfindercentral, chelleanne71, capewood, private library
2007 (15) audiobook (14) bounty hunter (136) chick lit (73) comedy (55) contemporary (25) crime (108) crime fiction (30) detective (24) ebook (19) Evanovich (21) fiction (336) funny (24) hardcover (14) humor (243) Janet Evanovich (21) library (16) mystery (552) New Jersey (88) novel (15) own (30) Plum (28) read (88) romance (76) series (97) Stephanie Plum (295) Stephanie Plum Series (47) suspense (14) thriller (20) to-read (27)

English (46)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (48)
Re: last chapter

Finally ... ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
How can you not love a character who understands that frozen cookie dough is one of the four major food groups. Stephanie Plum, the bounty hunter is back. Her relationship — you should try reading the whole series in order — with Morelli is on hold, but she still can get an orgasm just looking at Ranger. She keeps a gun in her cookie jar, but only can find one bullet. Grandma Mazur looks ninety but is approaching seventy, but getting mentally sharper all the time and still cruising funerals to inspect the work of the funeral director. She causes a minor stir by peeling back the eyelids of the deceased to find out whether the rumor he had a glass eye was valid. “Well, if they’d left his eyes open, I wouldn’t have had to,” she protests. Parking and cars remain a problem for Stephanie and most people in Jersey would rather poke out an eye to obtain a handicapped sticker as parking is much more important than sight.
In this the eighth of the series, Stephanie finally gives us some insight into her childhood."I graduated from Douglass [College:] without distinction. I was in the top ninety-eight percent of my class and damn glad to be there. I slept in the library and daydreamed my way through the history lecture. I failed math twice, never fully grasping probability theory. I mean, first off, who cares if you pick a black or a white ball out of the bag. And second, if you're bent over about the color, don't leave it to chance. Look in the damn bag and pick the color you want." Good old irreverent Stephanie. Don't miss the series.

ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
I actually had to stop reading this book twice the night I read it because I was laughing so hard. I love the characters Evanovich creates. Even better are the improbable situations, impractical decisions, and kooky stunts she throws in the mix. I was glad to see she finally put her readers out of their collective misery about the sparks between Ranger and Stephanie -- but I was disappointed. If you haven't read any Stephanie Plum books, #1 is One for the Money. ( )
1 vote lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
I really didn't like this one. It felt like it took me forever to finish it because it was just so boring (I don't really like Ranger that much and don't really want Stephanie to have a relationship with him but even I was cheering for her to sleep with him just to have something spice this up a bit.). This didn't add much to the series at all. I probably could have done without this one. The highlights of this book were Grandma Mazur asking about how to do cybersex, Albert Kloughn getting stuck in the dryer, and a man wearing a rabbit head whipping out his ding-a-ling in front of Stephanie and Grandma Mazur. I still plan on reading more of this series and I hope it picks up a bit. ( )
  dpappas | Apr 25, 2013 |
Stephanie outdoes herself in this adventure, managing to be involved in the destruction of or damage to at least five cars (by my count). She is once again being stalked by a sadistic nut, and the only real question is why. The plot connection on this point is extremely thin. Still, the whole gang is there, and I laughed out loud at several points in the book. Evanovich is still at the top of her game. ( )
1 vote CandaceVan | Apr 16, 2013 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tarkka, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here's to the great teams of the world:
Betty and Veronica, Stephanie and Lula, Ralph and Alice, and me and Jennifer Enderlin, my St. Martin's editor.
Thanks Jen...you're the greatest.
Op de geweldige teams die deze wereld rijk is:
Betty en Veronica, Stephanie en Lula, Ralph en Alicce,
en ikzelf en Jennifer Enderlin, mijn redactric van St. Martin's.
Bedankt, Jen...je bent de beste.
Met dank aan Ree Mancini,
die de titel voor dit boek suggereerde.
Lately, I've been spending a lot of time rolling on the ground with men who think a stiffy represents personal growth.
De laatste tijd lig ik regelmatig op de grond te rollebollen met mannen die menen dat een stijve pik gelijk staat een persoonlijke groei.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312983867, Mass Market Paperback)

In Hard Eight, Stephanie Plum picks up a case a little nastier than anything the wisecracking bounty hunter's seen before. Evelyn Soder and her young daughter have gone on the run, leaving an angry ex-husband who's planning to collect on a child custody bond that will leave Evelyn's grandmother homeless. Stephanie's first clue that there's more to it than that comes in the form of Eddie Abruzzi, a shady local businessman who warns her to butt out of the case. Stephanie doesn't scare easily, but when Abruzzi's henchmen leave a bag of snakes on her doorknob and tarantulas in her car, she has no choice but to call Ranger, the hunky man of mystery whom she already owes too many favors. Steph knows that Ranger will soon be calling in his marker, but with her ex- fiancé Joe Morelli out of the picture, that should be OK--shouldn't it? In the meantime, she's got other fugitives to catch, aided by the usual band of misfits, plus a bumbling correspondence-school lawyer who's developed the hots for Stephanie's sister, Valerie. And Steph's in for a surprise from her mother, who proves she's not above wielding a dangerous weapon to save her daughter's life.

Author Janet Evanovich has made a bold move in using a soupçon of child jeopardy to pull this series out of the comfortable but formulaic pattern it was threatening to fall into. It's still funny, and yes, some cars are destroyed, but now there's a real edge of darkness under the humor. Fans needn't fear, though: Jersey girl Stephanie is still full of sass and Tastykakes. --Barrie Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:31 -0400)

Bounty hunter is looking for a missing seven year old and her mother.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible