Eleven on top by Janet Evanovich

Eleven on top (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Janet Evanovich

Title:Eleven on top
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:New York : St. Martin's Paperbacks, 2006.
Collections:Janet Evanovich, Read but unowned

Eleven on Top by Janet Evanovich (2005)

English (74)  French (1)  All languages (75)
Stephanie Plum quits her job as a bounty hunter after rolling in the garbage with a fugitive. She just wants a normal life. Only she has problems with every other job she takes on, a couple in a huge way when it seems a ghost from her past is toying with her with some spectacular results.

Ranger offers her a job sitting in front of a computer at Rangeman, doing searches and background checks, specifically focusing on the disappearance of some men. In this job she’s actually safer as no one can get to her car when it’s parked in the Rangeman building, although Joe isn’t too happy about it.

We’ve also got Valerie’s wedding, Joe gets hurt, Lula now working as a bounty hunter and needing Stephanie’s help, fire, car explosions, sexual tension and a great deal of humor.

One of the things it’s easy to get bugged about is the fact that Stephanie doesn’t seem to grow or get any better at her job. And yet in this story, while she’ll never be as good as Ranger—certainly never as capable or intimidating—it is obvious that she’s better at it than she used to be, especially in comparison to Lula.

I’ve reread this one a number of times since it came out. Even knowing what happens I find it’s a relaxing escape for a few hours. ( )
  dearheart | Aug 20, 2015 |
Ever since I've read this I've been pretending I work for Range Man, Inc. I might go as far as to start wearing all black and tucking my 38 Special into my waistband when I go to work. Even though I work from home. Even though I'm not actually researching fugitives instead of accounting. I might have a slight problem with using fiction as escapism, yes? ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
After the movie, One for the Money (I loved it), I wanted to read the books. I was half happy and half disappointed (to be fair the first few books were better than the rest - I've read 17 or 18). The writing isn't anything special but there is banter and wit (which is waning). I love her grandma, the ex-hooker, and some other random side characters - that and the witty moments kept me coming back for more.

By the time of the 5th book (or at least by the 10th) you would think she would start to get the hang of her job or get a new one - nope. At a certain point she is just a pretty woman of 30ish who can't pick from 2 men (or choose to move on from both), who is bad at her job, and relies on luck and the men in her life to save her (to be fair I think of one time she was saved by a woman).

So why do I keep reading? In spite of how annoying she is, and how she is hopelessly in love with 2 mildly mentally abusive men? Despite all the half attractive or good guys being over 6 ft tall for some reason and all the other men are taken or ugly? The reason is the supporting crazy characters, and the fading wit. ( )
  mlg11031112 | Apr 10, 2015 |
My Twitter review (140 characters or less):

Swoon filled. My sexual tension is rising. Good plot. Extremely funny. Intense moments. Janet Evanovich does it again! (Ranger is still bae) ( )
  beearedee | Feb 14, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this one. Lula is still over the top, but the mystery was good, and having Stephanie quit her job was interesting. This book used some nice variations on the basic themes of the previous novels in the series. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
This book is a Jan-Jen production, brought to life through the extraordinary powers of SuperEditor Jen Enderlin.
Thanks to Shanna Littlejohn for suggesting the title for this book.
My name is Stephanie Plum.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312985347, Mass Market Paperback)

Stephanie Plum, Trenton's favorite bondswoman, is having a career crisis, which gives Janet Evanovich plenty of opportunities to showcase her series heroine in a variety of alternative vocations, from dry cleaner to factory worker. Most of them don't last a full working day, which is good for the reader, since it plunges Stephanie back into the always seedy, often dangerous, and always colorful world of fugitives who'd rather flee than face their day in court. She may be tired of having her life threatened, her cars torched or blown up, and her apartment broken into, but one thing she can say about her job is that it's never boring... and neither is she. Despite her intentions of going straight at a job with a little more security and a bit less excitement, an old client won't let her--he keeps leaving her threatening notes, stalking and scaring her, and making sure she needs the protection of the two men in her life--Joe Morelli, the sexy cop who's been bedding her since high school, and Ranger, the even sexier tough guy who can take down the meanest fugitive around but has a tender spot in his heart for the plucky Ms. Plum. All Evanovich fans' favorite characters people this sprightly caper novel, including Lula, the fast-food-chomping former hooker who's hot to take over Stephanie's job but really belongs in a WWE Takedown; Grandma Mazur, who'd rather go to a wake than a fancy-dress ball; Grandma Bella, the matriarch of the Morelli family whose evil eye frightens even the indomitable Stephanie; and Valerie, Stephanie's sister, who's about to embark on another trip to the altar. A great beach read, Eleven on Top is a guilty pleasure that will delight readers of the author's 10 earlier novels and should win her even more fans. --Jane Adams

Amazon.com Exclusive Content

Amazon.com's Significant Seven
Janet Evanovich kindly agreed to take the life quiz we like to give to all our authors: the Amazon.com Significant Seven.

Q: What book has had the most significant impact on your life?
A: Uncle Scrooge adventures by Carl Barks. They gave me a lifelong love of the adventure story both in film and literature. And I wouldn't mind pushing my quarters around with a bulldozer in real life, either.

Q: You are stranded on a desert island with only one book, one CD, and one DVD--what are they?
A: Book: The Neiman Marcus holiday catalog (I can pretend I'm shopping.)
CD: MTV’s Grind, Volume 1 (Happy music and I love the samba.)
DVD: Shrek 2 (Happy movie.)

Q: What is the worst lie you've ever told?
A: "No. Your butt doesn't look big in those pants." Said to myself.

Q: Describe the perfect writing environment.
A: No phone. Locked door. Room service. Silence. My cat (Gus) on my lap.

Q: If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?
A: "Later, Dudes!"

Q: Who is the one person living or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
A: Jim Henson (creator of the Muppets)

Q: If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
A: The ability to eat Cheez Doodles and Krispy Kremes and never get fat.

The Stephanie Plum Series

One for the Money
Two for the Dough
Three to Get Deadly
Four to Score
High Five
Hot Six
See the entire Stephanie Plum series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:51 -0400)

Hoping to discontinue her career as a bounty hunter for something safer, Stephanie Plum is inadvertently drawn into a case that is complicated by her tangled love life, her chaotic family, and her penchant for wrecking cars.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,892,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible