Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich

Three to Get Deadly (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:Kathy89
Title:Three to Get Deadly
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:St Martins Pr (1998), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Tags:(fiction) mystery, audiobook

Three To Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich (1997)

English (81)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (83)
same funny Step. Plum/Lulu/Ranger, Joe Morelli.

A “saintly” old candy store owner is on the lam - and bounty hunter extraordinaire Stephanie Plum is on the case. As the body count rises, Stephanie finds herself dealing with dead drug dealers and slippery fugitives on the chase of her life. And with the help of eccentric friends and family, Steph must see to it that this case doesn't end up being her last....
  christinejoseph | Jul 23, 2016 |
BOTTOM-LINE:
Little more hard-boiled
PLOT OR PREMISE:
This time around Plum's got a dandy assignment: pick up Uncle Mo, the owner of the local soda shop who everybody thinks is a saint. He got picked up for carrying a concealed weapon (which everybody says is no real crime at all) and promptly jumps bail for no apparent reason. She no sooner asks the first person about Mo's whereabouts, and lo and behold, her mom is getting complaints about her harassing poor Uncle Mo. Ah, life is just peachy. Add in a couple of vigilante types who keep warning her away from Mo, some more involvement with Jackie and Lulu (the hookers from book one), and life gets interesting.
WHAT I LIKED:
I liked the expansion of the various characters again. As well, its kind of fun to see the relationship develop between Joe and Stephanie, even if it is romance-by-the-book. :) The grandmother is less pronounced in this one but Lulu more than makes up for it as she wants to kick butt too. Ranger is definitely an interesting presence, and fun for everyone.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
This book is a little more hard-boiled, complete with lots of guns blazing, and some harder-core motives for stuff. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it detracts a bit from the otherwise amusing antics of Stephanie as she is still learning the ropes about being a bounty-hunter.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Mar 26, 2016 |
I have read this one a couple times in the past. However, I wanted to pick up where I left off in the series but couldn't remember what happened, so I'm starting from the beginning again.

Stephanie is still a terrible bounty hunter. She has a couple FTA's in the book but still can't catch them in a timely manner. She enlists the help of Ranger to bring down Uncle Mo, a candy/ice cream shop owner who has a store in the Burg. Ranger takes it personally after Mo steals his Mercedes. Turns out Mo got involved in somethings that he couldn't get out of and was trying to get out but it snowballed into something more. Stephanie finally gets him, plus her other FTA's, however, she loses another car. Looks like she's back to driving the Buick again. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |
Easygoing - I read it in one sitting! Stephanie is getting her detecting act together a bit more in this story. Once again a fund read. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
Book three in the Stephanie Plum series. At this point, our heroine has been in the bounty hunter biz for five whole months, and has still not entirely gotten the hang of it. Her current assignment is to bring in a beloved neighborhood figure for missing a court date, but the guy is nowhere to be found. Looking for him, of course, quickly plunges her into a much more complicated situation, this time involving a surprising number of dead bodies.

I think this series is starting to feel a little more polished as it goes along. It's still complete brain candy, but it's increasingly really digestible brain candy. Shallow and unmemorable, yes, but a very quick, reasonably amusing, and thoroughly undemanding read. Which, some days, is exactly what you want.

Mind you, even if it is starting to feel more polished, it's also starting to feel decidedly formulaic. Three books in, and I'm pretty sure I could already write a Stephanie Plum drinking game: Drink when Stephanie has car problems, drink when she goes to her parents' house for dinner, drink when someone shows up to threaten her at her apartment (twice if they threaten her pet hamster)... I'm thinking this could get tiresome down the line, but for now, I'm not too bothered by it. ( )
1 vote bragan | May 18, 2015 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petty, Lorisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarkka, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was January in Trenton.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312966091, Mass Market Paperback)

As readers of Janet Evanovich's two previous books about funny, feisty, family-tied bounty hunter Stephanie Plum already know, she operates in "the burg"--a "comfy residential chunk of Trenton, New Jersey, where houses and minds are proud to be narrow and hearts are generously wide open." On this turf, Plum fights for justice and fashion points--this time in pursuit of a beloved neighborhood candystore owner who seems to be moonlighting as an anti-drug vigilante. Evanovich now lives in New Hampshire, but authentic affection for Trenton energizes her prose. Plums in paperback include One for the Money and Two for the Dough.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:02 -0400)

Stephanie Plum--the sexy, sassy, brassy, bounty-hunting Jersey girl--is back on the job in her third novel, and things just aren't going great. She's having a bad hair day--for the whole month of January. She's been given the unpopular task of finding Mo Bedemier, Trenton's most popular citizen, who's gone no-show for his court appearance after being arrested for carrying a concealed weapon. A "saintly" old candy-store owner is on the lam-and bounty hunter extraordinaire Stephanie Plum is on the case. As the body count rises, Stephanie finds herself dealing with dead drug dealers and slippery fugitives on the chase of her life. And with the help of eccentric friends and family, Steph must see to it that this case doesn't end up being her last.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,499,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible