Three To Get Deadly: A Stephanie Plum Novel…

Three To Get Deadly: A Stephanie Plum Novel (Stephanie Plum Novels) (original 1997; edition 2010)

by Janet Evanovich

5,61980761 (3.96)48
Member:rmiesner
Title:Three To Get Deadly: A Stephanie Plum Novel (Stephanie Plum Novels)
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2010), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***

Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich (1997)

Recently added byMareF, jatrees, private library, AnneHagan, grownsync, jreeder, iamcathie, Diane1947

English (78)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (80)
Book three in the Stephanie Plum series. At this point, our heroine has been in the bounty hunter biz for five whole months, and has still not entirely gotten the hang of it. Her current assignment is to bring in a beloved neighborhood figure for missing a court date, but the guy is nowhere to be found. Looking for him, of course, quickly plunges her into a much more complicated situation, this time involving a surprising number of dead bodies.

I think this series is starting to feel a little more polished as it goes along. It's still complete brain candy, but it's increasingly really digestible brain candy. Shallow and unmemorable, yes, but a very quick, reasonably amusing, and thoroughly undemanding read. Which, some days, is exactly what you want.

Mind you, even if it is starting to feel more polished, it's also starting to feel decidedly formulaic. Three books in, and I'm pretty sure I could already write a Stephanie Plum drinking game: Drink when Stephanie has car problems, drink when she goes to her parents' house for dinner, drink when someone shows up to threaten her at her apartment (twice if they threaten her pet hamster)... I'm thinking this could get tiresome down the line, but for now, I'm not too bothered by it. ( )
1 vote bragan | May 18, 2015 |
Loved it, as always. Great, mindless entertainment. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
After the movie, One for the Money (I loved it), I wanted to read the books. I was half happy and half disappointed (to be fair the first few books were better than the rest - I've read 17 or 18). The writing isn't anything special but there is banter and wit (which is waning). I love her grandma, the ex-hooker, and some other random side characters - that and the witty moments kept me coming back for more.

By the time of the 5th book (or at least by the 10th) you would think she would start to get the hang of her job or get a new one - nope. At a certain point she is just a pretty woman of 30ish who can't pick from 2 men (or choose to move on from both), who is bad at her job, and relies on luck and the men in her life to save her (to be fair I think of one time she was saved by a woman).

So why do I keep reading? In spite of how annoying she is, and how she is hopelessly in love with 2 mildly mentally abusive men? Despite all the half attractive or good guys being over 6 ft tall for some reason and all the other men are taken or ugly? The reason is the supporting crazy characters, and the fading wit. ( )
  mlg11031112 | Apr 10, 2015 |
This was a pretty good book. I still love the characters, but the situations are starting to grow stale - although she escalated the romance side of the book a little more in this one. The writing was strong, and so is her characterizations, and this propels the novel well. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Once again, narrator C J Critt provides tons of enjoyment through her delivery of Stephanie Plum's dry wit. I've explained to my family that I'm listening to "that funny book", so they won't think I'm crazy. ;) ( )
  Dawn94 | Dec 20, 2014 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petty, Lorisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarkka, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was January in Trenton.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312966091, Mass Market Paperback)

As readers of Janet Evanovich's two previous books about funny, feisty, family-tied bounty hunter Stephanie Plum already know, she operates in "the burg"--a "comfy residential chunk of Trenton, New Jersey, where houses and minds are proud to be narrow and hearts are generously wide open." On this turf, Plum fights for justice and fashion points--this time in pursuit of a beloved neighborhood candystore owner who seems to be moonlighting as an anti-drug vigilante. Evanovich now lives in New Hampshire, but authentic affection for Trenton energizes her prose. Plums in paperback include One for the Money and Two for the Dough.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:02 -0400)

Stephanie Plum--the sexy, sassy, brassy, bounty-hunting Jersey girl--is back on the job in her third novel, and things just aren't going great. She's having a bad hair day--for the whole month of January. She's been given the unpopular task of finding Mo Bedemier, Trenton's most popular citizen, who's gone no-show for his court appearance after being arrested for carrying a concealed weapon. A "saintly" old candy-store owner is on the lam-and bounty hunter extraordinaire Stephanie Plum is on the case. As the body count rises, Stephanie finds herself dealing with dead drug dealers and slippery fugitives on the chase of her life. And with the help of eccentric friends and family, Steph must see to it that this case doesn't end up being her last.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,860,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible