Four to Score by Janet Evanovich

Four to Score (1998)

by Janet Evanovich

Series: Stephanie Plum (4)

Recently added byKirSio, private library, Daniella.McCafferty, kraye, karenchase, Ruby64, TLJ, CC123

English (75)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (79)
Book four in Evanovich's series about Stephanie Plum, a neophyte bounty hunter from Trenton, New Jersey. I gotta say, I'm enjoying this series more and more as it goes on. At this point, it's gone from guilty pleasure to just plain pleasure. The plot isn't much, sure, but the humor is tons of fun. It probably also helped that this one included a visit to the Jersey Shore, which brought back a lot of childhood nostalgia for me. Also, I read most of it on an airplane, and it was pretty much the ideal airplane book: light and undemanding, but entertaining enough to effortlessly while away the time. ( )
  bragan | Jun 30, 2015 |
Of all the pistol-packin' hot mama protagonist novels I've read (I'm up to date on all the Grafton books), this is the most hilarious and entertaining by a country mile. If any should become a movie, this one has to be it. The characters are well imagined and fall-down funny, each in their own right. It's so good, I'd recommend enjoying it before the first three in the series instead of having to wait to enjoy this treasure.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
Okay, I hesitate to give this 5 stars. I did love it, and that's what 5 stars translates into to me. But I must add a caveat. This is a sometimes-naughty book. Four to Score is exactly what you're thinking. Not too overdone, but still. And the language is horrible. And there are some elements I wish weren't there that are added for humor but I think are too crass. I just wanted to get that out of the way for my fellow religious friends who might be offended by it. But once you get beyond that... why do I love it? It is hilarious. Really. So, for every other book review I write on these books, I won't mention all this... this should cover it for them all :) ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
After the movie, One for the Money (I loved it), I wanted to read the books. I was half happy and half disappointed (to be fair the first few books were better than the rest - I've read 17 or 18). The writing isn't anything special but there is banter and wit (which is waning). I love her grandma, the ex-hooker, and some other random side characters - that and the witty moments kept me coming back for more.

By the time of the 5th book (or at least by the 10th) you would think she would start to get the hang of her job or get a new one - nope. At a certain point she is just a pretty woman of 30ish who can't pick from 2 men (or choose to move on from both), who is bad at her job, and relies on luck and the men in her life to save her (to be fair I think of one time she was saved by a woman).

So why do I keep reading? In spite of how annoying she is, and how she is hopelessly in love with 2 mildly mentally abusive men? Despite all the half attractive or good guys being over 6 ft tall for some reason and all the other men are taken or ugly? The reason is the supporting crazy characters, and the fading wit. ( )
  mlg11031112 | Apr 10, 2015 |
Was as good as the other sequels. Kind of the same. Stephanie gets assignment. Assignment unusually hard. Eventually relates to whatever major crime Morelli is working on. Colorful characters. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tarkka, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thanks to Shannon Hendrix for suggesting the title for this book.
Living in Trenton in July is like living in a big pizza oven.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312966970, Mass Market Paperback)

Stephanie Plum, the trash-talking New Jersey bail bondswoman of this popular series, is tracking Maxine Nowicki, who's wanted for skipping out on a car-theft charge lodged by her ex-boyfriend. Now the ex-boyfriend's very interested in getting back the love letters he supposedly wrote to Maxine. But what he's really looking for is the secret on which Evanovich hangs her screwball cast of colorful minor characters, including Sally Sweet, a cross-dressing drag queen; Lula, the 250-pound ex-hooker who works for Steph's boss; Cousin Vinnie, the bail bondsman; Grandma Mazur, who packs a Glock and is always looking for a little action; and Joyce, a wannabe bounty hunter who's been cramping Steph's style since she played pass the salami with Steph's ex-husband. The action doesn't get much farther from Trenton than the Jersey Shore, but when Steph's apartment and car are blown up by the others on Maxine's trail and she moves in with Joe Morelli, the handsome, arrogant cop she's been hung up on since high school, it gets hotter than the craps table in Atlantic City. Plum's fans won't be disappointed in this fourth outing in the series, and they're likely to be even more interested in the snappy patter and sexy shenanigans than in the mystery that holds it all together. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:56 -0400)

"Evanovich's novels are among the great joys of contemporary fiction".--"GQ". In "Four to Score", Stephanie follows in Ranger's entrepreneurial bootsteps--but comes up against a slew of unsavory characters in the wildest ride of her life. Author online at www.evanovich.com. National ads, including "USA Today" and "The New York Times Book Review". Martin's Press. Stephanie Plum, Trenton, New Jersey's favorite pistol-packing, condom-carrying bounty hunter, is back--and on the trail of a revenge-seeking waitress who's skipped bail. With then help of 73-year-old Grandma Mazur, ex-hooker Lula, a transvestite musician named Sally Sweet, and the all-too-hospitable, all-too-sexy Joe Morelli, Stephanie might just catch her woman. Then again, with more mishaps than there are exits on the Jersey Turnpike--including murders, firebombs, and Stephanie's arch-rival bounty hunter chasing after the same fugative--Stephanie better watch her back big-time if she wants to live to crack this case.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,063,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible