Hot Six by Janet Evanovich

Hot Six (2000)

by Janet Evanovich

Series: Stephanie Plum (6)

English (71)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (77)
BOTTOM-LINE:
Plum vs. Ranger…talk about a mismatch
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Plum's got her latest assignment, no problem. She just has to bring in Ranger, a suspect in the death of a wanna-be gangster, the son of an arms dealer.
WHAT I LIKED:
As with most things Plum, there's a lot going on … Grandma has moved in, she gets stuck babysitting a wild dog, and there's a killer running around who likes Stephanie. Plus we get to see an old high school pal, Moon Man, who is frequently fun since the elevator doesn't all the way to the top floors.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
The whole sub-story with gun-runners and missing money, and Ranger being "wanted" gets a little ridiculous after awhile.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Jan 20, 2017 |
Hot Six by Janet Evanovich
I ran into a friend at the library who recommended this author saying her writing was funny. I had just finished a David Baldacci book, so I was ready for funny. I found this book laugh out loud, tears down my cheeks funny.
Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum series are brilliant. Totally hilarious and worth its weight in gold.

Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter with attitude and an interesting fashion sense runs around with her sidekick Lula in attempt to catch and haul in criminals that have missed their court date.

Working for Vinnie, is interesting to say the least. Vinnie, His lifestyle and preference in partners although highly abnormal by society’s standards, I find intriguing and laughable. If you don’t understand something .. might as well poke and prod at it until it makes some kind of sense.

Living with herself is trouble enough, but out of the blue her Grandma Mazur moves in with her with the promise of finding her own apartment. This puts a serious crimp in her already struggling sex life.
Even so, Stephanie’s relationship with Ranger takes an interesting turn. The growing attraction between them leaves them rolling around on her apartment floor, knee-deep in kisses and his roaming hands .. at least until Mazur busts out of the bedroom. Saved by Grandma or damned for her life of living in sin?

Between Morelli, Grandma and Ranger, Stephanie really has her hands full in this book. Mobsters jumping into her car to escape the freak show of a family, to Star Trek riots, this book is filled with tons of funny scenes.

Enjoy this sample of a scene that had me laughing out l loud.
A “friend” has asked Stephanie to keep his “small” dog while he is on vacation. She later finds out he is not on vacation, rather he has been trying to unload this huge dog for a long time.
Stephanie, Lula and Bob in the car together.
“Maybe Bob needs breakfast.” Lula said.
“Bob already had breakfast.”
“Let me put it another wa,y Maybe Lula needs breakfast.”
“You have anything special in mind?”
“I guess one of those egg McMuffins. And a vanilla shake. And breakfast fries.”
(Stephanie’s driving)
I put the Buick in gear and headed for the drive-through.
“How’s it going?” the kid at the window said. “You still looking for a job?”
“I’m thinking about it.”
We got three of everything and parked on the edge of the lot to eat and regroup. Bob ate his egg McMuffin and breakfast fries in one chomp. He slurked down his milkshake and looked longingly out the window.
“Think Bob needs to stretch his legs?” Lula said.
I opened the door and let him out. “Don’t go far.”
Bob jumped out and started walking around in circles, occasionally sniffing the pavement.
“What’s he doing?” Lula wanted to know. “Why’s he walking in circles? Why he – uh-oh, this don’t look good. Looks to me like Bob’s taking a big poop in the middle of the parking lot. Holy cow, look at that! That’s a mountain of poop.”
Bob returned to the Buick and sat down, wagging his tail, smiling, waiting to be let back in.
I let him in and Lula and I slumped down low in our seats.
“Do you think anyone saw?” I asked Lula.
“I think everyone saw!”
“Damn.” I said. “I don’t have the pooper scooper with me.”
“Pooper scooper, hell, I wouldn’t go near that with a full contamination suit and a front-loader.”
“I can’t just leave it there.”
Maybe you could run over it. “ Lula said, “You know… flatten it out.”
I cranked the engine over, backed up, and pointed the Buick at the pile of poop.
“Better roll the windows up.” Lula said.
“Ready?”
Lula braced herself, “Ready.”
I stomped on the gas and took aim.
SQUISH!
We rolled the windows down and looked out.
“So what do you think? You think I should make another pass?”
“Wouldn’t hurt,” Lula said, “And I’d forget about getting a job here.”
Page 83. 84

jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
EEEEEEEEEE!!!!! HE PROPOSED! In the most ass backwards and ridiculous way possible, but he PROPOSED! Seriously, though. Steph needs to drop Ranger like a hot potato. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
funny — again

Low-rent bounty hunter Stephanie Plum reaches depths of personal experience that other women detectives never quite do. In Hot Six, for example, a sequence of new and hideous cars bite the dust; she finds herself lumbered with a policeman's multiply incontinent dog; and she has several bad skin days. All this when she is trying to prove her distinctly more competent colleague and occasional boyfriend Ranger innocent of a mob hit; avoid the heavies trailing her in the hope of finding him; and cope with a wife-abusing bail defaulter with nasty habits, such as setting Stephanie on fire.
  christinejoseph | Jul 23, 2016 |
Another hilarious Plum-crazy novel. In this one Ranger is FTA. He's wanted for murder-- and it doesn't look good. To complicate matters, two mob-style families are involved, Grandma Mazur has moved into Steph's apartment, and Joe and Steph can't get any "private" time. The book highlights include meeting Bob and two hippie-style new characters, a Rollswagen, and a few "interesting" FTA apprehensions (a Star Trek convention for instance...).

Bottom line-- if you've enjoyed the rest of this series, or you're just looking for a good laugh, this book will hit the spot. :)
  HSContino | May 20, 2016 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mazar, DebiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thanks to Eileen Hoffman and Larry Martine for suggesting the title for this book.
Okay, so here's the thing.
Unknown if audiobook is abridged or unabridged.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312976275, Mass Market Paperback)

Never mind who did the deed with New Jersey bounty hunter Stephanie Plum at the end of High Five. Five months later, that night's only a dim, cherished memory, and Stephanie's freezing her butt off on a Trenton bridge trying to keep her friend Carol--caught shoplifting some crotchless panties she was too embarrassed to buy--from committing suicide.
Truth is, I didn't for a minute think she'd jump. For one thing, she was wearing a four-hundred-dollar jacket from Wilson Leather. You just don't jump off a bridge in a four-hundred-dollar jacket. It isn't done. The jacket would get ruined. Carol was from the Chambersburg section of Trenton, just like me, and in the Burg you gave the jacket to your sister, then you jumped off the bridge.
When Stephanie finally talks Carol down and makes it in to work at Vincent Plum Bail Bonds, it's only to find that her libido-boosting pal Ranger, the professional bounty hunter and sometime hit man, has disappeared. A building owned by black-market arms dealer Alexander Ramos has burned down, with Ramos's son Homer lying inside, dead from a gunshot wound. Ranger, who was caught on film there by video cameras, is wanted for questioning. Stephanie's boss Vinnie wants her to find him, but Stephanie, who knows she won't find Ranger if he doesn't want to be found, refuses. Soon everyone, from her cop boyfriend Joe Morelli to the two Laurel and Hardy wannabes who suddenly start following her around Trenton in a badass black Lincoln, thinks she's hot on Ranger's trail.

And Stephanie's got other things to worry about. For one thing, Grandma Mazur's moved in with her, and so has Bob, a golden retriever who's only partly house trained. Then Ranger starts popping up at odd times of the night, with instructions for Stephanie to keep an eye on another Ramos son, Hannibal. Add to that one homicidal maniac, a couple more dead bodies, Stephanie's usual bad car karma, and the zit from hell, and you've got yourself one fine Stephanie Plum adventure. Will Stephanie triumph? You can bet a jelly doughnut on it. And there's another great cliffhanger waiting at the end. --Barrie Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:31 -0400)

Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum tries to get her mentor Carlos off the hook when he becomes a murder suspect.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,327,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible