High Five by Janet Evanovich

High Five (1999)

by Janet Evanovich

Series: Stephanie Plum (5)

Recently added bydeezr, windyf, shellcox, Rena37, TinaMReid, private library, Trish.Baglione, chermoon, earthwind

English (64)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (68)
BOTTOM-LINE:
Fully embrace the crazy
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Plum is on her fifth outing, looking for her missing uncle and one angry little man. Uncle Fred was complaining about paying for garbage pickup, and the truck skipped his house. So he went into complain and disappeared. Of course, he's in the Plum family, so the weird part is he left behind photos of severed body parts in garbage bags. Aunt Mabel wants Stephanie to look for him, although she's not entirely sure she wants the cheap bastard found and brought home. Plus, a midget missed his court date.
WHAT I LIKED:
Stephanie's family is definitely on the wild side, and the uncle is pretty out there for 70. Fun to see all the pieces at play. Plus Stephanie decides she needs to "diversify" her income sources, so asks Ranger to help mentor her in new areas (i.e. to work for him), so we get to see more of his line of work and meet his crew/employees (like Tank). And Lulu and Stephanie chasing the short guy is hilarious to read.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
Morelli's family is not as much fun as the Plums, and fairly one-dimensional. Plus Benito Ramirez is back, and is just annoying. My biggest objection though is a "cliff-hanger" ending on the romance side that deliberately plays with point-of-view to keep it vague who Stephanie is talking with at her door.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Jan 19, 2017 |
it was a ok book ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
I really, really, really hope that was Morelli at the end. I am pretty sure it was. Morelli and Stephanie are just the best. I get Stephanie's feelings for Ranger, but Morelli. MORELLI! ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
In this fifth installment of the Stephanie Plum series Stephanie is on the trail of another FTA (failure to appear), a computer programmer who turns out to be a cranky little person named Briggs. By the time Stephanie and friend Lula manage to cuff him his apartment is destroyed and Briggs becomes Stephanie's unwelcome houseguest until his trial date. Ms. Plum is also trying to find her uncle Fred who went missing while he was running errands. It seems Fred had a beef with the local refuse retrieval company who continuously passed by his garbage bags on pickup days. Fred is nowhere to be found and suddenly employees from the refuse company are being murdered and Stephanie has found a stack of photographs in Fred's desk showing a dismembered body in a garbage bag. As if all this were not enough a sadistic killer has been released from jail and he is stalking Stephanie while she is also being followed by a shady 'bookie'. Then of course there is the romantic entaglements of both Morellie and Ranger. What's a girld to do?

I arrived at the Stephanie Plum party a bit late but I'm enjoying catching up on the series. Of the five I have now read I think this one has been my favorite so far. Such fun!
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Stephanie needs some work because nobody is skipping out on bail.. Then her mom drafts her in to looking for her Uncle Leon who disappeared while running errands. She also starts taking on jobs working for Ranger. Another fun installment in the series. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tarkka, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thanks to Mary Anne Day, Joy Gianolio, Nancy Hunt, Merry Law, Lisa Medvedev, Catherine Mudrak, Fran Rak, Hope Sass, Karen Swee, Elaine Vliet, Joan Walsh, and Vicki, The Women Mystery Writers Reading Group, for suggesting the title for this book.
When I was a little girl I used to dress Barbie up without underpants.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312971346, Mass Market Paperback)

"Uncle Fred was someone I saw at weddings and funerals and once in a while at Giovichinni's Meat Market, ordering a quarter pound of olive loaf. Eddie Such, the butcher, would have the olive loaf on the scale and Uncle Fred would say, 'You've got the olive loaf on a piece of waxed paper. How much does that piece of waxed paper weigh? You're not gonna charge me for that waxed paper, are you? I want some money off for the waxed paper.'"

The speaker is Stephanie Plum, the glamorous if slightly ditzy bounty hunter from Trenton, New Jersey, and one of the most original creations in recent mystery fiction.

In this fifth entry in Janet Evanovich's increasingly popular series, Stephanie's problems are many and varied. She's not making enough money picking up FTAs (Failures to Appear) for her cousin Vinnie, of Vincent Plum Bail Bonds; her red-hot love affair with Detective Joe Morelli has cooled off; and her giant extended family is no help at all. For instance, Uncle Fred the cheapskate has disappeared, leaving behind some suspicious photographs of body parts in garbage bags and links to some really dangerous people.

When Stephanie turns to her friend and mentor, Ranger, for financial advice, he gets her involved in a gang of toughs doing instant evictions for landlords. (She complains to Ranger about the job and its dangers, prompting one of the hired thug to say, "Man, you don't like to get shot. You don't like to get arrested. You don't know how to have fun at all.")

Most of Stephanie's charm, of course, comes from her attitude--a combination of the brazen bravado that turns a failed lingerie model into a bounty hunter in the first place and the normal fears of a person in over her head.

Other Plums in paperback, by the numbers: One for the Money, Two for the Dough, Three to Get Deadly, and Four to Score. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

In her fifth high-octane thriller, bounty hunter Stephanie Plum sets out to find her missing uncle -- and along the way smacks slam-bang into: a dead body, a nasty bookie, her stun-gun-toting grandmother, two very sexy men, an angry little man who won't leave her apartment, and a Mafia wedding. Jersey's favorite bounty hunter has never been better! With high hair, street smarts and plenty of attitude, Steph's sure to nail this case -- or risk life and spandex-clad limb trying. A Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year. A People Magazine Beach Book of the Week.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,763,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible