Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich

Lean Mean Thirteen

by Janet Evanovich

Series: Stephanie Plum (13)

4,71998998 (3.88)48

After the movie, One for the Money (I loved it), I wanted to read the books. I was half happy and half disappointed (to be fair the first few books were better than the rest - I've read 17 or 18). The writing isn't anything special but there is banter and wit (which is waning). I love her grandma, the ex-hooker, and some other random side characters - that and the witty moments kept me coming back for more.

By the time of the 5th book (or at least by the 10th) you would think she would start to get the hang of her job or get a new one - nope. At a certain point she is just a pretty woman of 30ish who can't pick from 2 men (or choose to move on from both), who is bad at her job, and relies on luck and the men in her life to save her (to be fair I think of one time she was saved by a woman).

So why do I keep reading? In spite of how annoying she is, and how she is hopelessly in love with 2 mildly mentally abusive men? Despite all the half attractive or good guys being over 6 ft tall for some reason and all the other men are taken or ugly? The reason is the supporting crazy characters, and the fading wit. ( )
  mlg11031112 | Apr 10, 2015 |
Twitter review (140 characters of less):

Dickie Orr was involved. I laughed until I cried and I was so nervous I could barely read. The more I read, the more I love Stephanie. ( )
  beearedee | Feb 14, 2015 |
Pretty good. I enjoyed the overall plot. Lula was less annoying than usual, and the over-the-top characters seemed reasonably toned down. It was a fun read. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Too funny! As always love Janet's color characters and performance by Lorelei King on audio! Love Joe, Lula, and Grandma Mazur as well as Ranger! Stephanie was married to Dickie the attorney for about fifteen minutes before she caught him cheating on her with her arch-nemesis Joyce Barnhardt (always good for a laugh and competition). Another fifteen minutes after that Stephanie filed for divorce, hoping to never see either one of them again.

Doing favors for super bounty hunter Carlos Manoso (a.k.a. Ranger). Ranger needs her to meet with Dickie and find out if he’s doing something shady. Turns out, he is. Turns out, he’s also back to doing Joyce Barnhardt. And it turns out Ranger’s favors always come with a price…(poor Joe).. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Solid Stephanie Plum book. Not my favorite of the series but it was good.
  lushrain | Sep 29, 2014 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, Loreleisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hugs and thank-yous to my fabulous editor--SuperJen Enderlin.
Thanks to Sara Parker for Suggesting the title for this book.
For the last five minutes, I'd been parked outside my cousin Vinnie's bail bonds office in my crapola car, debating whether to continue on with my day, or return to my apartment and crawl back into bed.

New secrets, old flames, and hidden agendas are about to send bounty hunter Stephanie Plum on her most outrageous adventure yet!

MISTAKE #1
Dickie Orr
Stephanie was married to him for about fifteen minutes before she caught him cheating on her with her archnemesis, Joyce Barnhardt. Another fifteen minutes after that, Stephanie filed for divorce, hoping never to see either one of them again.

MISTAKE #2
Doing favors for super bounty hunter Carlos Manoso (aka Ranger)
Ranger needs Stephanie to meet with Dickie and find out if he's doing something shady. Turns out, he is. Turns out, Dickie's also back to doing Joyce Barnhardt. And it turns out Ranger's favors always come with a price. . . .

MISTAKE #3
Going completely nutso while doing the favor for Ranger, and trying to apply bodily injury to Dickie in front of the entire office
Now Dickie has disappeared, and Stephanie is the natural suspect in his disappearance. Is Dickie dead? Can he be found? And can Stephanie Plum stay one step ahead in this new, dangerous game? Joe Morelli, the hottest cop in Trenton, New Jersey, is also keeping Stephanie on her toes---and he may know more than he's saying about many things in Stephanie's life. It's a cat-and-mouse game for Stephanie Plum wherein the ultimate prize might be her life.

With Janet Evanovich's flair for hilarious situations, breathtaking action, and unforgettable characters, Lean Mean Thirteen shows why no one can beat Evanovich for blockbuster entertainment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:13 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,927,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible