To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, No. 9) by…

To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, No. 9) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:RachelfromSarasota
Title:To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, No. 9)
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:humorous thriller series / Stephanie Plum bounty hunter

To The Nines by Janet Evanovich (2003)

Hasta la Vista, Lola! by Misa Ramirez (readafew)
    readafew: Lola is a cross between Stephanie Plum and Kinsey Milhone
    How to Lose a Client by Becky A. Bartness (readafew)
    readafew: I would say How to Lose a Client is a similar kind of humor to Stephanie plum novels.

English (56)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (59)
Book nine (or is it ten? nine and a half?) in Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. This time, Stephanie is out to apprehend a guy whose US work visa is about to expire, which involves following him to Las Vegas. Meanwhile, someone keeps sending her flowers, but not in a good way, and she begins to notice her biological clock ticking.

It's possible I was just in the wrong mood for Evanovich right now, but I think I may have reached the point where this series is starting to get old for me. There are some funny moments -- Stephanie switching out her bad luck with cars for bad luck with bodyguards was fun -- but a lot of the stuff that was meant to be funny -- an overdone running joke about Lula's diet, Stephanie's target's annoying landlady -- really just weren't.

Meanwhile, Stephanie's Lust Triangle of Doom, which I'm not a fan of, continues apace. And I am really, really ready to be done with plots that involve Stephanie being stalked. It's starting to be creepy in a bad way. And the revelation here of why she was being stalked in this one was just... dumb. I mean, OK, you don't read these books for the intelligent plots. Maybe the problem was mine for not being able to turn my brain off far enough (something I'm usually quite willing to do for this series so I can just sit back and enjoy the ridiculous ride). But... But it was really, really dumb. ( )
1 vote bragan | Apr 20, 2016 |
I love the characters in these Stephanie Plum novels. I guffawed aloud numerous times. Lula, the ex-hooker, was divine this time around. Joe Morelli's grandmother and her visions were wonderful as well. Great read! ( )
  hemlokgang | Mar 21, 2016 |
Typical Stephanie Plum adventure.
Bit obvious as I'd figure the bad guy out almost straight away - light relief as usual. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
Bounty Hunter Stephanie Plum is partnered with Ranger when a man on a work visa bond goes missing and she finds herself caught up in a deadly game. All of the regulars are on hand to add chaotic humor and in a twist, instead of destroying cars, Stephanie is destroying Ranger’s men.

These books are potato chip reads; light and easy to get through and you’re done before you know it. Don’t expect any growth on Stephanie’s part and that’s part of the charm, as is the sexual tension with Ranger while in an “on again” stretch with Morelli. We see a lot of both in this book.

I don’t know how many times I’ve reread this book over the years, but it still brings enjoyment and a nice escape from reality. ( )
  dearheart | Aug 16, 2015 |
After the movie, One for the Money (I loved it), I wanted to read the books. I was half happy and half disappointed (to be fair the first few books were better than the rest - I've read 17 or 18). The writing isn't anything special but there is banter and wit (which is waning). I love her grandma, the ex-hooker, and some other random side characters - that and the witty moments kept me coming back for more.

By the time of the 5th book (or at least by the 10th) you would think she would start to get the hang of her job or get a new one - nope. At a certain point she is just a pretty woman of 30ish who can't pick from 2 men (or choose to move on from both), who is bad at her job, and relies on luck and the men in her life to save her (to be fair I think of one time she was saved by a woman).

So why do I keep reading? In spite of how annoying she is, and how she is hopelessly in love with 2 mildly mentally abusive men? Despite all the half attractive or good guys being over 6 ft tall for some reason and all the other men are taken or ugly? The reason is the supporting crazy characters, and the fading wit. ( )
  mlg11031112 | Apr 10, 2015 |
Thanks to Denise Margo Moy for suggesting the title for this book.
My name is Stephanie Plum and I was born and raised in the Chambersburg section of Trenton, where the top male activies are scarfing pastries and pork rinds and growing love handles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312991460, Mass Market Paperback)

Stephanie Plum's got rent to pay, people shooting at her, and psychos wanting her dead every day of the week (much to the dismay of her mother, her family, the men in her life, the guy who slices meat at the deli...oh, the list goes on). An ordinary person would cave under the pressure.

But hey, she's from Jersey.

Stephanie Plum may not be the best bounty hunter in beautiful downtown Trenton, but she's pretty darn good at turning bad situations her way...and she always gets her man. In
To The Nines, her cousin Vinnie (who's also her boss) has posted bail on Samuel Singh, an immigrant who becomes an illegal alien by violating his Visa and extending his stay in the United States. When the elusive Mr. Singh goes missing, Stephanie is on the case. But what she uncovers is far more sinister than anyone imagines and leads to a group of killers who give new meaning to the word "hunter..."

In a race against time that takes her from the Jersey Turnpike to the Vegas strip, Stephanie Plum is on the chase of her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:59 -0400)

Pursuing a skip, Stephanie travels to Las Vegas, where she meets up with Sally Sweet, Joe Morelli, and Ranger, and works to outmaneuver a trio of mobsters who are determined to prevent Stephanie's return home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible