To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, No. 9) by…

To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, No. 9) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:RachelfromSarasota
Title:To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, No. 9)
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:humorous thriller series / Stephanie Plum bounty hunter

To the Nines by Janet Evanovich (2003)

Hasta la Vista, Lola! by Misa Ramirez (readafew)
    readafew: Lola is a cross between Stephanie Plum and Kinsey Milhone
    How to Lose a Client by Becky A. Bartness (readafew)
    readafew: I would say How to Lose a Client is a similar kind of humor to Stephanie plum novels.

English (52)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (54)
Originally on my book blog!

I really did not think that these books could get any funnier, but this would almost killed me. I'm not sure if I read this when I was sleep deprived (I did) or if it's really just that funny (it is) but I could not contain my laughter for very long. Every part of this book, the humor, the mystery, and the romance, came together perfectly to make a seriously fabulous book.

This book had some of the funniest material I've seen in a book. When Lula wasn't talking about her "diet" (a no carb diet, so she decided she would eat meat 24/7), she was losing her luggage on the way to Vegas. When she wasn't doing either of these, Stephanie was going through Ranger's employees like she usually does with his cars. I didn't go a full five pages without finding something hilarious. It was the best workout I've had in months, so thank you Janet! After going from a very serious and heavy Alex Cross novel, going to a hilarious and clueless Stephanie Plum novel was just what I needed.
The mystery was a great plot and kept the book going smoothly. Most of her books don't have a seriously intense part but this one had a scene where I was on the edge of my seat and trying to breathe (and failing). It was interesting and fun and unique. There was a lot more mystery in this one than others because she actually had to search for the guy instead of just try to pick him up at home.

Ranger Ranger Ranger Ranger Ranger. Oh you didn't ask me who I like more? Well it's Ranger, in case you ever want to. I ship Ranger and Stephanie forever. If only he was "marriage type" but I digress. Stephanie is somewhat dating Joe in this book while also spending some quality time with Ranger. Nine books in and she still hasn't picked one of them. Neither of them are really marriage material at this moment, much to Stephanie's mother's dismay. Most people would get bored or plain annoyed that she's dragging both guys along for 9 books, but I read these books in part to see what happens with Ranger or Joe.

If you want a light read with a good plot, great characters, and fabulous humor: pick up this series. Seriously, do it. I dare you.

Have you read any of these books? Are you a Babe or a Cupcake? (I stole this from Sharon @ The Book Barbies so thank her for it) ( )
  beearedee | Feb 16, 2015 |
I liked the change from cars blowing up to Ranger's men needing to watch Stephanie. This was a pretty good book. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Fun. Same old Stephanie Plum. If anything, this case was pretty dark and gruesome; more than the others in this series. Love Lula! ( )
  PetraBC | Jan 11, 2015 |
Love King on the audio and has everyone down as far as characters! Always drams and lots of laughs...Lulu is a riot!

Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum is assigned the case of Samuel Singh, an immigrant who has vanished on a Visa bond. The case will take her to Las Vegas, while her personal life involves rooming with Joe, working with Ranger, and dealing with her mother, who is stressed out owing to having Valerie, Steph's sister, in the house, unwed and about to give birth. As usual, there is lots of humor, a gaggle of unusual characters, the exploits of Stephanie's colleague Lulu, and, this time, a serial killer who is after Stephanie. Lorelei King brings a sultry yet wry voice to Stephanie's story, capturing the absurdity of many of the situations. Ranger and Joe are well voiced, and King's characterization of Lulu captures her unique personality without verging into caricature. Even minor players, such as Singh's landlord/mother-in-law-to-be, are brought to vivid life. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 26, 2014 |
Did not finish. *sighs* She had to turn a funny, fluffy series into something just a little more dark and serious. Plus, really, how many books is she going to write with Stephanie and Morelli chasing each other? ( )
  lesmel | Jun 26, 2014 |
Thanks to Denise Margo Moy for suggesting the title for this book.
My name is Stephanie Plum and I was born and raised in the Chambersburg section of Trenton, where the top male activies are scarfing pastries and pork rinds and growing love handles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312991460, Mass Market Paperback)

Stephanie Plum's got rent to pay, people shooting at her, and psychos wanting her dead every day of the week (much to the dismay of her mother, her family, the men in her life, the guy who slices meat at the deli...oh, the list goes on). An ordinary person would cave under the pressure.

But hey, she's from Jersey.

Stephanie Plum may not be the best bounty hunter in beautiful downtown Trenton, but she's pretty darn good at turning bad situations her way...and she always gets her man. In
To The Nines, her cousin Vinnie (who's also her boss) has posted bail on Samuel Singh, an immigrant who becomes an illegal alien by violating his Visa and extending his stay in the United States. When the elusive Mr. Singh goes missing, Stephanie is on the case. But what she uncovers is far more sinister than anyone imagines and leads to a group of killers who give new meaning to the word "hunter..."

In a race against time that takes her from the Jersey Turnpike to the Vegas strip, Stephanie Plum is on the chase of her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:51 -0400)

Pursuing a skip, Stephanie travels to Las Vegas, where she meets up with Sally Sweet, Joe Morelli, and Ranger, and works to outmaneuver a trio of mobsters who are determined to prevent Stephanie's return home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,651,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible