To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, No. 9) by…

To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, No. 9) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:RachelfromSarasota
Title:To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, No. 9)
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:humorous thriller series / Stephanie Plum bounty hunter

To the Nines by Janet Evanovich (2003)

Recently added byemanette, private library, Daniella.McCafferty, crysmoon84, karenchase, Ruby64, TLJ, CC123
    Hasta la Vista, Lola! by Misa Ramirez (readafew)
    readafew: Lola is a cross between Stephanie Plum and Kinsey Milhone
    How to Lose a Client by Becky A. Bartness (readafew)
    readafew: I would say How to Lose a Client is a similar kind of humor to Stephanie plum novels.

English (53)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (55)
Bounty Hunter Stephanie Plum is partnered with Ranger when a man on a work visa bond goes missing and she finds herself caught up in a deadly game. All of the regulars are on hand to add chaotic humor and in a twist, instead of destroying cars, Stephanie is destroying Ranger’s men.

These books are potato chip reads; light and easy to get through and you’re done before you know it. Don’t expect any growth on Stephanie’s part and that’s part of the charm, as is the sexual tension with Ranger while in an “on again” stretch with Morelli. We see a lot of both in this book.

I don’t know how many times I’ve reread this book over the years, but it still brings enjoyment and a nice escape from reality. ( )
  dearheart | Aug 16, 2015 |
After the movie, One for the Money (I loved it), I wanted to read the books. I was half happy and half disappointed (to be fair the first few books were better than the rest - I've read 17 or 18). The writing isn't anything special but there is banter and wit (which is waning). I love her grandma, the ex-hooker, and some other random side characters - that and the witty moments kept me coming back for more.

By the time of the 5th book (or at least by the 10th) you would think she would start to get the hang of her job or get a new one - nope. At a certain point she is just a pretty woman of 30ish who can't pick from 2 men (or choose to move on from both), who is bad at her job, and relies on luck and the men in her life to save her (to be fair I think of one time she was saved by a woman).

So why do I keep reading? In spite of how annoying she is, and how she is hopelessly in love with 2 mildly mentally abusive men? Despite all the half attractive or good guys being over 6 ft tall for some reason and all the other men are taken or ugly? The reason is the supporting crazy characters, and the fading wit. ( )
  mlg11031112 | Apr 10, 2015 |
Originally on my book blog!

I really did not think that these books could get any funnier, but this would almost killed me. I'm not sure if I read this when I was sleep deprived (I did) or if it's really just that funny (it is) but I could not contain my laughter for very long. Every part of this book, the humor, the mystery, and the romance, came together perfectly to make a seriously fabulous book.

This book had some of the funniest material I've seen in a book. When Lula wasn't talking about her "diet" (a no carb diet, so she decided she would eat meat 24/7), she was losing her luggage on the way to Vegas. When she wasn't doing either of these, Stephanie was going through Ranger's employees like she usually does with his cars. I didn't go a full five pages without finding something hilarious. It was the best workout I've had in months, so thank you Janet! After going from a very serious and heavy Alex Cross novel, going to a hilarious and clueless Stephanie Plum novel was just what I needed.
The mystery was a great plot and kept the book going smoothly. Most of her books don't have a seriously intense part but this one had a scene where I was on the edge of my seat and trying to breathe (and failing). It was interesting and fun and unique. There was a lot more mystery in this one than others because she actually had to search for the guy instead of just try to pick him up at home.

Ranger Ranger Ranger Ranger Ranger. Oh you didn't ask me who I like more? Well it's Ranger, in case you ever want to. I ship Ranger and Stephanie forever. If only he was "marriage type" but I digress. Stephanie is somewhat dating Joe in this book while also spending some quality time with Ranger. Nine books in and she still hasn't picked one of them. Neither of them are really marriage material at this moment, much to Stephanie's mother's dismay. Most people would get bored or plain annoyed that she's dragging both guys along for 9 books, but I read these books in part to see what happens with Ranger or Joe.

If you want a light read with a good plot, great characters, and fabulous humor: pick up this series. Seriously, do it. I dare you.

Have you read any of these books? Are you a Babe or a Cupcake? (I stole this from Sharon @ The Book Barbies so thank her for it) ( )
  beearedee | Feb 16, 2015 |
I liked the change from cars blowing up to Ranger's men needing to watch Stephanie. This was a pretty good book. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Love King on the audio and has everyone down as far as characters! Always drams and lots of laughs...Lulu is a riot!

Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum is assigned the case of Samuel Singh, an immigrant who has vanished on a Visa bond. The case will take her to Las Vegas, while her personal life involves rooming with Joe, working with Ranger, and dealing with her mother, who is stressed out owing to having Valerie, Steph's sister, in the house, unwed and about to give birth. As usual, there is lots of humor, a gaggle of unusual characters, the exploits of Stephanie's colleague Lulu, and, this time, a serial killer who is after Stephanie. Lorelei King brings a sultry yet wry voice to Stephanie's story, capturing the absurdity of many of the situations. Ranger and Joe are well voiced, and King's characterization of Lulu captures her unique personality without verging into caricature. Even minor players, such as Singh's landlord/mother-in-law-to-be, are brought to vivid life. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 26, 2014 |
Thanks to Denise Margo Moy for suggesting the title for this book.
My name is Stephanie Plum and I was born and raised in the Chambersburg section of Trenton, where the top male activies are scarfing pastries and pork rinds and growing love handles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312991460, Mass Market Paperback)

Stephanie Plum's got rent to pay, people shooting at her, and psychos wanting her dead every day of the week (much to the dismay of her mother, her family, the men in her life, the guy who slices meat at the deli...oh, the list goes on). An ordinary person would cave under the pressure.

But hey, she's from Jersey.

Stephanie Plum may not be the best bounty hunter in beautiful downtown Trenton, but she's pretty darn good at turning bad situations her way...and she always gets her man. In
To The Nines, her cousin Vinnie (who's also her boss) has posted bail on Samuel Singh, an immigrant who becomes an illegal alien by violating his Visa and extending his stay in the United States. When the elusive Mr. Singh goes missing, Stephanie is on the case. But what she uncovers is far more sinister than anyone imagines and leads to a group of killers who give new meaning to the word "hunter..."

In a race against time that takes her from the Jersey Turnpike to the Vegas strip, Stephanie Plum is on the chase of her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:59 -0400)

Pursuing a skip, Stephanie travels to Las Vegas, where she meets up with Sally Sweet, Joe Morelli, and Ranger, and works to outmaneuver a trio of mobsters who are determined to prevent Stephanie's return home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,028,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible