Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich

Visions of Sugar Plums (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:ryn_books
Title:Visions of Sugar Plums
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:St. Martin's Press (2002), Hardcover
Tags:contemporary, crime, fiction, humour, series, stephanie plum, strong female, chick lit, relationships, 21st century, Christmas, Diesel, urban fantasy, novella, bounty hunter, romance, main characters do not age, hardcover, first edition

Visions Of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich (2002)

English (62)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (65)
I have the biggest crush on Diesel! Stephanie Plum books are always fun, but the between-the-numbers series is much better (imo) than the numbered books. But that's probably because of my crush... ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
When I first picked up this book I thought I would really enjoy the book. It moved fast. BUT I think the concept was kind of silly. And then, all of a sudden it ended. Yea......not so much. ( )
  gma2lana | May 9, 2016 |
Lorelei King
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
A short holiday-themed interlude in Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, written between books eight and nine. (You can tell it's not a regular part of the series because there's no number in the title.) The story involves a mysterious, hot guy with supernatural abilities who magically appears in Stephanie's living room, having been sent -- somehow, by someone -- to help her as she attempts to apprehend an elderly toymaker named -- wait for it! -- Sandy Claws.

OK, I'm aware this must seem like a very unseasonable thing to read in March. But this is when I happened to reach the point in the series where it's set. And I thought that might actually work in its favor. I mean, I honestly much prefer Christmas music if I encounter it (usually via iPod's random shuffle feature) in July than in late December, by which point I've been inundated with Christmassy stuff for so long I've gotten sick of it. I'm not sure that works nearly as well with books, though, because I was a bit humbuggy about this one.

The thing is, while I like fantasy novels just fine, supernatural elements suddenly, randomly popping up after eight volumes set firmly in mundane reality annoys me immensely. Since this is presented as being outside the main run of the series, that might not have been quite as much of a problem if I could have just regarded this as -- to use a nerdy buzzword -- non-canonical, a Christmas fantasy brought about by over-indulgence in eggnog, perhaps. But it features a significant development that seems like it's going to have to carry through to later books in the series, so I couldn't even do that. And it's not like the fantasy part of the story was even good. It was underdeveloped and gratuitous, and silly in entirely different ways than this series is supposed to be silly.

It wasn't all bad, though. There are some great scenes with Stephanie's family, who are in fine, hilarious, even-crazier-than-usual form. I'm mildly tempted to knock my rating up another half a star just for those, but... Meh. ( )
1 vote bragan | Mar 5, 2016 |
ZERO stars

Absolutely terrible! Written just to capitalize on the Christmas-themed publishing market. Stephanie Plum is visited by the mysterious Diesel, a “person” with other-worldly talents. He helps her track down her latest skip – Sandy Claws – who happens to operate a toy shop. It’s just four days until Christmas, and Stephie hasn’t gotten a tree, bought a present, put up any lights, baked any cookies or sent any cards (she hasn’t even bought any cards yet). Oh, my … how will she get out of this jam and get her man before the big day? Who cares?!

This is just a waste of paper.
  BookConcierge | Jan 25, 2016 |

Evanovich, Janetprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stegers, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book was Plumtacularly edited and titled by Jennifer Enderlin
Yahoo, Jen!!
My name is Stephanie Plum and I've got a strange man in my kitchen

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312986343, Mass Market Paperback)

Christmas in bounty hunter Stephanie Plum's world isn't quite like Christmas in Whoville. With only four days to go before December 25, she doesn't have a decorated tree in her apartment or any presents bought. Plus she's chasing an elusive bail-jumper named Sandy Claws; a hunky guy named Diesel is literally popping in and out of her apartment; and a mob of manic elves is threatening to assault her with cookies. The end result is that Stephanie is feeling a tad stressed over the holiday season. Life isn't any calmer over at her parents' home in the Burg, where Grandma Mazur is dating a new octogenarian stud muffin; sister Valerie is wailing over some unwelcome news; and Stephanie's mother is coping by belting back tumblers of Red Roses in the kitchen. Just where is the elusive Mr. Claws hiding, and why? What's causing the power blackouts all over Trenton? And what about the mysterious villain, Mr. Ring? Is all of this real, or is Stephanie just having a very bad dream?

Janet Evanovich's mysteries are eagerly awaited by fans everywhere and this holiday installment won't disappoint. With a returning cast of entertaining, quirky characters and a rock-solid setting in New Jersey wrapped around an intriguing mystery, Evanovich delivers yet another hilarious adventure featuring irrepressible bounty hunter Stephanie Plum. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:17 -0400)

It's five days before Christmas and things are not looking merry for Fugitive Apprehension Agent Stephanie Plum, especially when a strange man appears in her kitchen.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,896,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible