Precious and the Monkeys by Alexander McCall…

Precious and the Monkeys (2010)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Recently added byprivate library, ohdrat, Citizenjoyce, JanAyres, JoAnnPost, susanwithagoodbook

I do not often read YA or children's books, but made an exception for this glance at a young Precious Ramotswe. I was not disappointed. ( )
  AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |
I would peg this at 7-9 yr olds, and if reading aloud, 5-8 yr olds.

Very sweet mystery for Precious Ramotswe. Her first as a young child. Something that kids can relate to as well as something that all of McCall Smith books do: teach a simple lesson. Only an hour as an audio book. I would like to see the actual book, as I hear there are some lovely drawings to go with it. I might pick this up for the middle niece for xmas. Or the nephs when they hit about 6. ( )
  purlewe | Mar 31, 2013 |
Cover to Cover December 2012 selection. This was good but not great and probably most of interest to fans of the adult series. Oddly the book and audio did not have exactly the same text and I preferred what was on the audio. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Make sure to read the back of the book, including the recipe for the eponymous cake. (Eponymous is a new word for me and I'm never sure if I'm using it correctly.) Also read the verso (back of the title page), the author's note and the comments here by kayceel about how the book came to be written and how the title can change the meaning of the story for the reader.

SPOILER: While this is a charming book about not gossiping (specifically, not accusing others without sufficient evidence) and being kind to those less popular, I worry about the monkeys. I applaud Precious' insight that it isn't enough for her to know whodunit, she must also prove it to others. But I don't know that the monkeys can recover from what she does to them.

I especially liked the illustration on page 27 of the erect silhouette a young schoolgirl under a large, spreading tree with a monkey on a branch all in black, with red mountains in the background.
  raizel | Jul 22, 2012 |
I loved reading this "prequel" to this popular series about the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. The author says in his note at the end that many families had enjoyed reading his books together and he wanted something specifically for the kids. This book was fun and I especially enjoyed the black, red and white illustrations (woodcut prints?) that were designed for the first version that was written in the Scotch language. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jul 3, 2012 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robertson, JamesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hae ye ever said intae yersel -- no oot lood, mind, but quiet-like, jist in yer heid: Wid it no be braw tae be a detective?
Have you ever said to yourself, Wouldn't it be nice to be a detective?
Published as Precious and the Puggies in Scots and Precious and the Monkeys in English in the UK.

Before becoming the first female private investigator in Botswana, eight-year-old Precious Ramotswe tracks down a thief who has been stealing her classmates' snacks.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible