Precious and the Monkeys by Alexander McCall…

Precious and the Monkeys (2010)

by Alexander McCall Smith

I really enjoyed this book. Because I liked the book so much, I've chosen to do my Author Study on Alexander McCall Smith. Not only was the message a good one, the illustrations were very intriguing and applicable to the storyline. At the end of the book there is a Character Guide, Geography and People of Botswana, Reader's Guide, Curriculum Connections and a recipe. There is also a page about the author including a picture and information about his website. It was a very easy read and I look forward to reading more in the series.

I think this book would be a great one to include in a school curriculum. In the Curriculum Connections section there are pre-reading activities, discussion questions and post-reading activities. There is some great information on Africa and the lifestyle of people who live in the desert. ( )
  HeatherRanalli | Feb 4, 2016 |
Narrated by Adjoa Andoh. How did the #1 Ladies Detective Agency get its start? Way back when Precious looked into who was stealing pastries from the kids at her school. Kids won't know anything about the adult mystery series but fans of the series will be tickled to hand this to the young'uns in their lives. Andoh's accent work sounds authentic and her delivery is lilting. Add this to the family road trip collection. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Response - This is the first book of a mystery series. I was drawn to the book because it is set in Africa. I thought that the plot was lively and the main characters kind-hearted and clever.

Curricular connection - I would use this book for guided reading groups or for genre studies.
  jegammon | Mar 10, 2015 |
Engaging chapter book about Precious, little girl from Botswana, who wants to be a detective and helps clear a classmate when he is accused of stealing food. I would recommend this book to students interested in a realistic story with a kind, smart main character who lives in a different cultural environment. ( )
  amrahmn | Jan 22, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robertson, JamesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hae ye ever said intae yersel -- no oot lood, mind, but quiet-like, jist in yer heid: Wid it no be braw tae be a detective?
Have you ever said to yourself, Wouldn't it be nice to be a detective?
Published as Precious and the Puggies in Scots and Precious and the Monkeys in English in the UK.

Before becoming the first female private investigator in Botswana, eight-year-old Precious Ramotswe tracks down a thief who has been stealing her classmates' snacks.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,191,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible