A dog's purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

A dog's purpose

by W. Bruce Cameron

932None9,341 (4.27)37
2010 (4) 2011 (8) 2012 (5) adult (4) animals (28) ARC (5) contemporary fiction (7) dog (14) dogs (93) ebook (9) family (4) fantasy (6) favorites (4) fiction (94) humor (12) Kindle (9) love (6) non-fiction (5) novel (5) pets (11) purpose (11) RBU (4) read (4) read in 2010 (4) read in 2012 (4) reincarnation (33) relationships (9) to-read (21) unread (5) wishlist (5)

a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
[A Dog's Purpose] by [W.Bruce Cameron] is a heart warming book and i should recommend it to all dog lovers at any age. I laughed and cried while reading the book,couldn't put it down and I kept re-reading it over and over.

It's about a dog named toby who lives a short life because of a severe injury from a dogfight,but then finds himself reborn as a golden retriever. he runs away form the breeding centre and a woman rescues him. the woman brings him home where he finds a boy named Ethan who is overjoyed to have a dog.
Toby is renamed as Bailey. He lives a long happy life with Ethan ,convinced that he won't be reborn again. He is then reborn again as a German Shepherd named Ellie and he is troubled by the question of purpose.
he is picked up by a search and rescue officer named Jacob. one day at work Jason gets shot by a kidnapper and suffers severe injuries. he doesn't die but he won't be able to work again.
Ellie gets passed over to a police woman named Maya. Ellie gets injured on the nose and retires.
she dies at an old age.Ellie is reborn yet again as a labrador named Bear. He lives a pointless life at a young woman's place until her father kicks him out. He finds himself in a familiar farm territory where Ethan lives. Bear is renamed as Buddy by Ethan who finds him and is overjoyed to live with him.
One day Ethan is up in the Attic at an old age and is dying. with his final breaths he recognises Buddy as
Bailey. Ethan dies and buddy lives with his wife,Hannah.

I haven't read the sequel [A Dog's Journey]

I hope my reveiw helped! ( )
  RaphaelO | Mar 2, 2014 |
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
I am a huge animal lover and have many pets through the years - the majority of them were dogs. I still feel sad when I think about Muffin who was my 1st dog - a 10th brithday present. We had to put her to sleep when she was 13 and it broke my heart. I loved that dog and she got me through some major events in my life including a serious car accident, the teenage years, going off to college, etc.

I'm telling you this so I can tell you that this book makes you feel a little better about what happens to our beloved dogs after they leave us. The book is told from the dog's point of view. It will make you laugh, cry and miss your dog but it will also make you believe that she is out there somewhere helping someone else who really needs her. ( )
  botkin05 | Dec 27, 2013 |
To Cathryn / For doing everything, for being everything
One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.

Bailey starts out life as a mutt named Toby, but after a short existence is reincarnated into a golden retriever who finds a loving home with 8-year-old Ethan. Bailey loves Ethan eagerly and without bounds — as only a dog truly can — and believes that this must be his purpose; this must be why he was reborn. But after a long life with the boy, Bailey dies yet again — and is reborn as a German Shepherd police dog. As Bailey ponders his new existence and what his new purpose must be, the bond he had with Ethan never wavers and he misses the boy desperately. “How could I possibly have a more important mission than loving the boy?” he wonders. Yet he begins the journey of life again, searching for its meaning, and always on the lookout for Ethan.

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog.

But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever find his purpose?

Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:44 -0400)

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog's search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, this touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here? Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey's search for his new life's meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8 year old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog. But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey's journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders, will he ever find his purpose? Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh out loud funny, this book is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Dog's Purpose by cameronbrucew was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible