A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

A Dog's Purpose (edition 2011)

by W. Bruce Cameron

Title:A Dog's Purpose
Authors:W. Bruce Cameron
Info:Forge Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 333 pages

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

If you are a dog lover, you will quite enjoy this book about a dog trying to understand his purpose in life. Narrated by the dog, you'll find humor, touching moments, and things to think about. The story follow a dog as he is born and then reincarnated several times (mostly as a male, but once as a female), and with each life he learns new things about humans, about other animals, and about life in general. Touching, heart-warming, funny. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Oct 18, 2015 |
(30) An unsolicited lend. All the dog books I have read are always unsolicited lends. This was no different -- derivative, gratuitous 'good dog' kind of thing. And as usual I shed a few corny tears. sigh. It reminded me strangely of "Room" which quickly got old as it was written from the point of view of a 4 year old boy. Well - this was ostensibly from a dog's point of view. Apparently a Buddhist dog who is reincarnated until he fulfills his true purpose in life. Oh dear. could it get any cornier?

3 stars because I read it in two days, truth be told. But I could easily have lived without it. I am not sure what I think goes on the heads of all the beloved pets I have had over the years - but this is not quite it. OK - but silly. I wish people would stop foisting dog books on me. I wouldn't mind another dog though. ( )
  jhowell | Sep 13, 2015 |
For dog-lovers and people-lovers alike.

This is the story of a dog. And his many lives. But what exactly is this dog's purpose? What is any dog's purpose? This is a lovable story of the relationship between a dog and owner, the unbreakable bond that can never be severed no matter how many decades may pass on. Told from the perspective of our lovable dog, you're taken on a unique journey of reincarnation and a search for purpose. Each time, you learn a little bit more about the choices that we humans make and its impact on our companions.

Come meet a new friend in this book, [b:A Dog's Purpose|7723542|A Dog's Purpose|W. Bruce Cameron|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1434589475s/7723542.jpg|10479953]. ( )
  jms001 | Aug 25, 2015 |
Toby/Fella/Bailey/Ellie/Buddy narrates this guide for humans. Bailey explains that dogs are born multiple times, and carry the memory of the important things from one lifetime to another. Bailey allows us to share his lives ranging from feral puppy, to beloved pet, to search and rescue dog and beyond. Bailey wants us to understand that every dog is looking for the purpose in his life … his reason for being.

Granted, lately we seem to have been asked to accept many books “written” by dogs; fiction, non-fiction, memoirs and how-to’s. But if you have ever looked into the eyes of a dog and you just know he is wondering why you “don’t get it” then you have to believe in Bailey. This book had laugh-out-loud moments, reach for the tissue box moments and downright aaaawwwww moments. I loved them all … and ahem … I’m a cat person.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Each time we take a road trip I look for a book that I can read aloud in the car. It makes the miles go faster and gives me the joy of reading aloud. Something I really miss since my girls are grown and I am not teaching 4th graders anymore.

As we were preparing to go to Virginia for a college graduation I grabbed this book off the bedside table where it had laid since I had given this to my husband a couple of Christmas' ago. It was the PERFECT book for this road trip!

Now before October I would have thought this book was rather ridiculous...but in October we become the proud parents of a Maltese Yorkie mix and as I read the story of Bailey and her search for a purpose - it made so much more sense.

This book follows Bailey through a series of lives. She/he is born as a puppy and lives out each life feeling that it is complete - yet he comes back again.

Now - I do not believe in reincarnation. But there is something compelling about this dog's search. Each life adds information and experience - preparing him for the final act - when everything comes together.

I have to admit that I had to stop more than once as I read this...my voice would choke and the tears would run. I love books like that! This story also made me rethink some of my reactions and training practices with our dog, Penny. I especially appreciated his explanation of how hard it was for Baility understand potty training! :)

Anyway - this is a great book for dog lovers and owners. It made me appreciate the commitment that we have agreed to as we become a pet owner and joy that comes as our little dog rushes to greet me each night I come home from work! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
To Cathryn / For doing everything, for being everything
One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.

Bailey starts out life as a mutt named Toby, but after a short existence is reincarnated into a golden retriever who finds a loving home with 8-year-old Ethan. Bailey loves Ethan eagerly and without bounds — as only a dog truly can — and believes that this must be his purpose; this must be why he was reborn. But after a long life with the boy, Bailey dies yet again — and is reborn as a German Shepherd police dog. As Bailey ponders his new existence and what his new purpose must be, the bond he had with Ethan never wavers and he misses the boy desperately. “How could I possibly have a more important mission than loving the boy?” he wonders. Yet he begins the journey of life again, searching for its meaning, and always on the lookout for Ethan.

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog.

But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever find his purpose?

Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Searching for his purpose over the course of multiple canine lives, Bailey is reborn as a golden-haired puppy after a tragic death as a stray and shares a loving bond with young Ethan before he again dies and starts over.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Dog's Purpose by cameronbrucew was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible