A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

A Dog's Purpose (edition 2011)

by W. Bruce Cameron

Member:mtnval
Title:A Dog's Purpose
Authors:W. Bruce Cameron
Info:Forge Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 333 pages

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

Each time we take a road trip I look for a book that I can read aloud in the car. It makes the miles go faster and gives me the joy of reading aloud. Something I really miss since my girls are grown and I am not teaching 4th graders anymore.

As we were preparing to go to Virginia for a college graduation I grabbed this book off the bedside table where it had laid since I had given this to my husband a couple of Christmas' ago. It was the PERFECT book for this road trip!

Now before October I would have thought this book was rather ridiculous...but in October we become the proud parents of a Maltese Yorkie mix and as I read the story of Bailey and her search for a purpose - it made so much more sense.

This book follows Bailey through a series of lives. She/he is born as a puppy and lives out each life feeling that it is complete - yet he comes back again.

Now - I do not believe in reincarnation. But there is something compelling about this dog's search. Each life adds information and experience - preparing him for the final act - when everything comes together.

I have to admit that I had to stop more than once as I read this...my voice would choke and the tears would run. I love books like that! This story also made me rethink some of my reactions and training practices with our dog, Penny. I especially appreciated his explanation of how hard it was for Baility understand potty training! :)

Anyway - this is a great book for dog lovers and owners. It made me appreciate the commitment that we have agreed to as we become a pet owner and joy that comes as our little dog rushes to greet me each night I come home from work! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
What a fantastic book! I might be partial to it because I'm such a huge animal lover but I couldn't put it down. Each life the dog went through pulled me deeper and deeper into the story. I felt connected to the dog, strangely connected as I would to a human character in other books. This is a must read for dog lovers!! ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
A friend highly recommended this book to me and because I am a sucker for dog tales, I just had to snap this up.

I enjoyed this book very much. We get to see this dog go through each of his/her life, only to cycle back to the one person that matters most. Through Toby, Bailey, Ellie and finally Buddy, we see the life lessons he picks up that helps him in his next life. Ultimately, everything that he goes through helps lead him to where his heart truly belongs... in Ethan's loving arms.

Each time Buddy gets reincarnated, it is fun and also heartbreaking to see what he goes through in his current life time. He gets to go on a lot of adventures, enjoy different walks of life (being a stray to a loving family dog to service dog), and learned a lot (Find people, opening doors, etc). Buddy helped a lot of people along the way, not only just being there as a companion, but actually saving their lives in more than one way.

I felt like this novel was giving a voice to our best friends (our dogs), and showing us just how much they love us and are loyal to the very end
I would definitely recommend this to all dog lovers. I have started on the next book of this series and can't wait to see what happens to Buddy next. ( )
  Dream24 | Aug 21, 2014 |
Although this is a work of fiction, it once again visits the premise of animals having souls, in this case: a dog who is reincarnated many times. Through it all, it tries to ferret out its life purpose (hence, the book's title). You could look at this as many short stories that are spread out over its many lives, or as a long telling of one animal's soul story over many lifetimes. In any case, it's a heartwarming tale of companionship and loyalty, as well, as the sadder end-of-life moments that accompany having a pet -- both from the point of view of the human and of the dog. The sequel to this is: 'A Dog's Journey'. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
What is it about books written from the dog's point of view? They get me * right here * (points to heart). I had this book on my wish list for years, and finally got it for Christmas last year. For whatever reason, it took me until the other day to start reading it, and I finished it the next day.

Cameron takes us inside the mind of a dog who reincarnates a few times until he discovers what his purpose is in this world. Having the narrator die and come back created suspense. As he lived his life as golden retriever Bailey, I was very afraid something terrible would happen to him.

As Toby, Bailey, Ellie and Buddy, the dog is a completely believable character. I loved his view of the world and his affection for his people.

I was completely charmed by this book. One of my top five dog tales.

keneumey | Jun 4, 2014 |
To Cathryn / For doing everything, for being everything
One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.

Bailey starts out life as a mutt named Toby, but after a short existence is reincarnated into a golden retriever who finds a loving home with 8-year-old Ethan. Bailey loves Ethan eagerly and without bounds — as only a dog truly can — and believes that this must be his purpose; this must be why he was reborn. But after a long life with the boy, Bailey dies yet again — and is reborn as a German Shepherd police dog. As Bailey ponders his new existence and what his new purpose must be, the bond he had with Ethan never wavers and he misses the boy desperately. “How could I possibly have a more important mission than loving the boy?” he wonders. Yet he begins the journey of life again, searching for its meaning, and always on the lookout for Ethan.

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog.

But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever find his purpose?

Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:44 -0400)

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog's search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, this touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here? Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey's search for his new life's meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8 year old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog. But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey's journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders, will he ever find his purpose? Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh out loud funny, this book is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Dog's Purpose by cameronbrucew was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,356,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible