A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

A Dog's Purpose (edition 2011)

by W. Bruce Cameron

Member:mtnval
Title:A Dog's Purpose
Authors:W. Bruce Cameron
Info:Forge Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 333 pages

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

2011 (8) 2012 (5) adult (4) animals (29) ARC (5) audible (4) contemporary fiction (8) dog (13) dogs (97) ebook (10) family (4) fantasy (6) favorites (5) fiction (96) humor (12) Kindle (9) library (4) love (6) non-fiction (5) novel (5) pets (11) purpose (11) read (5) read in 2010 (4) read in 2012 (5) reincarnation (35) relationships (9) to-read (25) unread (5) wishlist (5)

What is it about books written from the dog's point of view? They get me * right here * (points to heart). I had this book on my wish list for years, and finally got it for Christmas last year. For whatever reason, it took me until the other day to start reading it, and I finished it the next day.

Cameron takes us inside the mind of a dog who reincarnates a few times until he discovers what his purpose is in this world. Having the narrator die and come back created suspense. As he lived his life as golden retriever Bailey, I was very afraid something terrible would happen to him.

As Toby, Bailey, Ellie and Buddy, the dog is a completely believable character. I loved his view of the world and his affection for his people.

I was completely charmed by this book. One of my top five dog tales.

keneumey | Jun 4, 2014 |
One of the beauties of being in a book club is reading books that you would probably never ever pick up. That's not to say I don't enjoy dogs, and sometimes books about dogs, but it's not really a type of book that would normally grab me. It's an experience to read something outside of your usual comfort zone and I was surprised by this particular book.

A Dog's Purpose has the description of being a book for humans. I expect that I will have a greater understanding of the larger message for humans within this book after our club meeting. All I can figure out is what a dog's purpose in life is, not an overall human purpose in life.

Be prepared to cry. Especially if you've ever owned a dog or a pet that you've loved, cared for, and had to say good bye to. It was an ugly cry book for me. The kind where I had to step away from it, go get more tissues and stare forlornly out the window while I gathered my emotions back into place.

What sets this book apart from other sentimental books I've read before is the voice. Told from the point of view of a dog, it is funny and cute. Cameron did a great job of getting into the mind of a dog. The voice had the correct balance of being self-centered, yet caring and full of empathy. Despite the dog's sometimes lack of greater understanding of a situation, Cameron didn't leave the reader in the dark as well.

It was adorable, and there was definitely a larger moral/lesson to the story. So don't mind me while I wipe my tears away. ( )
  deckfullojokers | May 9, 2014 |
Simply written and touching. Loved it. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
[A Dog's Purpose] by [W.Bruce Cameron] is a heart warming book and i should recommend it to all dog lovers at any age. I laughed and cried while reading the book,couldn't put it down and I kept re-reading it over and over.

It's about a dog named toby who lives a short life because of a severe injury from a dogfight,but then finds himself reborn as a golden retriever. he runs away form the breeding centre and a woman rescues him. the woman brings him home where he finds a boy named Ethan who is overjoyed to have a dog.
Toby is renamed as Bailey. He lives a long happy life with Ethan ,convinced that he won't be reborn again. He is then reborn again as a German Shepherd named Ellie and he is troubled by the question of purpose.
he is picked up by a search and rescue officer named Jacob. one day at work Jason gets shot by a kidnapper and suffers severe injuries. he doesn't die but he won't be able to work again.
Ellie gets passed over to a police woman named Maya. Ellie gets injured on the nose and retires.
she dies at an old age.Ellie is reborn yet again as a labrador named Bear. He lives a pointless life at a young woman's place until her father kicks him out. He finds himself in a familiar farm territory where Ethan lives. Bear is renamed as Buddy by Ethan who finds him and is overjoyed to live with him.
One day Ethan is up in the Attic at an old age and is dying. with his final breaths he recognises Buddy as
Bailey. Ethan dies and buddy lives with his wife,Hannah.

I haven't read the sequel [A Dog's Journey]

I hope my reveiw helped! ( )
  RaphaelO | Mar 2, 2014 |
Simply written and touching. Loved it. ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
To Cathryn / For doing everything, for being everything
One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.

Bailey starts out life as a mutt named Toby, but after a short existence is reincarnated into a golden retriever who finds a loving home with 8-year-old Ethan. Bailey loves Ethan eagerly and without bounds — as only a dog truly can — and believes that this must be his purpose; this must be why he was reborn. But after a long life with the boy, Bailey dies yet again — and is reborn as a German Shepherd police dog. As Bailey ponders his new existence and what his new purpose must be, the bond he had with Ethan never wavers and he misses the boy desperately. “How could I possibly have a more important mission than loving the boy?” he wonders. Yet he begins the journey of life again, searching for its meaning, and always on the lookout for Ethan.

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog.

But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever find his purpose?

Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:44 -0400)

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog's search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, this touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here? Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey's search for his new life's meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8 year old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog. But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey's journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders, will he ever find his purpose? Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh out loud funny, this book is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Dog's Purpose by cameronbrucew was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,237,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible