A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

A Dog's Purpose (edition 2011)

by W. Bruce Cameron

Member:mtnval
Title:A Dog's Purpose
Authors:W. Bruce Cameron
Info:Forge Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 333 pages

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

To be honest, I don't know what to say about this book. Told from a dog's point of view through several lifetimes as he finds his purpose in life. It would take many tries – filled with sadness, pain, happiness, fun, and loss – but he would find his way and his ultimate purpose. It is a simple, well written story by W. Bruce Cameron (some author as 8 Simple Rules to Dating my Teenage Daughter). Anyone who has ever owned a dog can relate to this story to some extent and in some cases, hope it's true. But along with the laughs, remember to have the Kleenex ready. As it points out, this is over several dog lifetimes and death is bound to occur. Each life left me in tears. A great book and recommended for dog lovers. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
What a great progression of events. Wonderful read. ( )
  lkarr | Feb 6, 2016 |
Narrated by George K. Wilson. Dog lovers will appreciate dogs even MORE after listening to this book! Narrator Wilson voices this story in what I think is the perfectly agreeable, undemanding, amiable manner of a dog, if dogs could talk. This absolutely charming story of the inner life of a dog who reincarnates three times and learns more about his purpose in life each time, is hilarious, touching, and completely satisfying. The full-circle ending tends to be on the sentimental side but still, rarely does a book please me so entirely. A winner! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Sometimes a book falls into your hands at just the right moment. This one showed up just a few days after I had to say a heartbreaking goodbye to my own good dog, and I nearly gave it away, thinking it would be too painful to read. But I gave it a try, and in addition to being a wonderfully original story, I found comfort in its message. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
Not usually the type of book I’d read, seeing as the sappy dog love idea really contrast my shelves of political novels and murder mysteries. Once you get past the bright blue cover and adorable dog, you find a story that lets you in on the life of a repeatedly reincarnated dog that tells a story of, oddly enough, humanity. As one of the few books that as ever made me cry, let alone sob for a solid half hour, “A Dog’s Purpose” is a great book for teens and adults alike. Just be prepared with a pint of ice cream and roughly six boxes of tissues.
  DanaKrauss | Jan 21, 2016 |
To Cathryn / For doing everything, for being everything
One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.

Bailey starts out life as a mutt named Toby, but after a short existence is reincarnated into a golden retriever who finds a loving home with 8-year-old Ethan. Bailey loves Ethan eagerly and without bounds — as only a dog truly can — and believes that this must be his purpose; this must be why he was reborn. But after a long life with the boy, Bailey dies yet again — and is reborn as a German Shepherd police dog. As Bailey ponders his new existence and what his new purpose must be, the bond he had with Ethan never wavers and he misses the boy desperately. “How could I possibly have a more important mission than loving the boy?” he wonders. Yet he begins the journey of life again, searching for its meaning, and always on the lookout for Ethan.

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog.

But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever find his purpose?

Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Searching for his purpose over the course of multiple canine lives, Bailey is reborn as a golden-haired puppy after a tragic death as a stray and shares a loving bond with young Ethan before he again dies and starts over.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible