A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

A Dog's Purpose (edition 2010)

by W. Bruce Cameron

Collections:5 star reads, Your library, kindle, read in 2012, Favorites 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:Contemporary Fiction

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

Definitely a case of the book being a bit of a letdown after all the hoopla. Cute, though. The Art of Racing in the Rain reigns supreme in my ranking of dog-books. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |

I will become one of the minority who did not enjoy this book. It is an easy and quick read. I wanted to like it. Yes, I cried when the dog died. Each time. It is hard not to compare this to other books written from a dog's perspective. I found it to be simplistic and predictable. It lacks the sophistication and humor of The Art of Racing in the Rain. ( )
  JBSassypants | May 7, 2017 |
I really enjoyed it. Different premise since it's coming from the dog's point of view which I liked. Made me hug my dog tighter and definitely look at animals in a different way. ( )
  Crystal423 | May 1, 2017 |
This is not a book I would have chosen for myself, but it was passed along to me from a friend who raved about it. It was a very sweet story told from a dog's point of view. Humans look mighty silly sometimes! As the dog main character cycles through a number of dog lives, we meet a wide variety of people and he learns lessons from each life that helps him later reconnect with the boy he loved. ( )
  mojomomma | Apr 15, 2017 |
What a delightful story "A Dog's Purpose" was. I saw the trailer for the movie recently and thought I needed to read the book. I loved the dog's voice from the first page. The author captured the perspective, love, determination and experience of a dog to perfection.

I enjoyed following the four lives of the dog, especially the second life. I laughed and I cried throughout the book as the dog journeyed through each reincarnated life trying to find meaning and purpose to its life.

Heart-warming and beautifully written, readers are faced with memories of their own devoted dogs, both past and present, who gave them a life of loyalty, devotion and unconditional love. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Apr 12, 2017 |
To Cathryn / For doing everything, for being everything
One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.

Bailey starts out life as a mutt named Toby, but after a short existence is reincarnated into a golden retriever who finds a loving home with 8-year-old Ethan. Bailey loves Ethan eagerly and without bounds — as only a dog truly can — and believes that this must be his purpose; this must be why he was reborn. But after a long life with the boy, Bailey dies yet again — and is reborn as a German Shepherd police dog. As Bailey ponders his new existence and what his new purpose must be, the bond he had with Ethan never wavers and he misses the boy desperately. “How could I possibly have a more important mission than loving the boy?” he wonders. Yet he begins the journey of life again, searching for its meaning, and always on the lookout for Ethan.

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog.

But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever find his purpose?

Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Searching for his purpose over the course of multiple canine lives, Bailey is reborn as a golden-haired puppy after a tragic death as a stray and shares a loving bond with young Ethan before he again dies and starts over.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

W. Bruce Cameron's book A Dog's Purpose was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,381,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible