A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

A Dog's Purpose (edition 2010)

by W. Bruce Cameron

Title:A Dog's Purpose
Authors:W. Bruce Cameron
Info:Forge Books (2010), Edition: 1st, Kindle Edition, 333 pages
Collections:5 star reads, Your library, kindle, read in 2012, Favorites 2012
Tags:Contemporary Fiction

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

Lovely book. It's been a while since I've both laughed and cried with a book, this made me do both multiple times. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 29, 2016 |
Story was sweet, but the writing irritated me. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Definitely a six tissue book! ( )
  .cris | May 31, 2016 |
Linda Stephens
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
To be honest, I don't know what to say about this book. Told from a dog's point of view through several lifetimes as he finds his purpose in life. It would take many tries – filled with sadness, pain, happiness, fun, and loss – but he would find his way and his ultimate purpose. It is a simple, well written story by W. Bruce Cameron (some author as 8 Simple Rules to Dating my Teenage Daughter). Anyone who has ever owned a dog can relate to this story to some extent and in some cases, hope it's true. But along with the laughs, remember to have the Kleenex ready. As it points out, this is over several dog lifetimes and death is bound to occur. Each life left me in tears. A great book and recommended for dog lovers. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
To Cathryn / For doing everything, for being everything
One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.

Bailey starts out life as a mutt named Toby, but after a short existence is reincarnated into a golden retriever who finds a loving home with 8-year-old Ethan. Bailey loves Ethan eagerly and without bounds — as only a dog truly can — and believes that this must be his purpose; this must be why he was reborn. But after a long life with the boy, Bailey dies yet again — and is reborn as a German Shepherd police dog. As Bailey ponders his new existence and what his new purpose must be, the bond he had with Ethan never wavers and he misses the boy desperately. “How could I possibly have a more important mission than loving the boy?” he wonders. Yet he begins the journey of life again, searching for its meaning, and always on the lookout for Ethan.

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog.

But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever find his purpose?

Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Searching for his purpose over the course of multiple canine lives, Bailey is reborn as a golden-haired puppy after a tragic death as a stray and shares a loving bond with young Ethan before he again dies and starts over.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Dog's Purpose by cameronbrucew was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,761,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible