How I Write: Secrets of a Bestselling Author…

How I Write: Secrets of a Bestselling Author

by Janet Evanovich

Recently added byprivate library, Merlyn_MacLeod, leah.gomes, kathyduffy, bohemianshell, Y2Ash, hdzookeeper

I really like this book. It was very informative and insightful. Although, I feel that it really didn't make me a better writer because Evanovich told me things that I already know about writing but Ina Yanof was incredibly informative with her non fiction side of the writing equation.

However, Evanovich was very informative on the publishing process on the whole. There were many things I did not know including query letters and self addressed postcards, oh my! ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
This is an interesting take from a bestselling author. She really knows how it's down and gives thoughtful answers. I especially liked the chapter on how to find agents, write query letters, and format a manuscript. ( )
  aharey | Mar 19, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading Evanovich's non-fiction book about writing and her adventures as she developed her Stephanie Plum series and created such memory characters, storylines and adventure. I love reading books about writing, gaining author insight and tips and tricks that I know I can look back on and use in my own writing. Evanovich's approach was more simple, fun and straight to the point of how I see myself writing (or not writing) these days. It doesn't make it feel like a harrowing task but an adventure in itself.
  blondierocket | Jun 15, 2013 |
What I liked- Being a writer can be tough. It can be lonely. And, because we don’t come to an office everyday to chat with others in our profession it can be easy to wonder if you are normal. Some of Evanovich’s answers were very uplifting. I loved her confession that she always wonders if her last book was the last good book she was ever going to write. I also love that she doesn’t love her rough drafts. I always worry that my book is going to be crap and I hate my rough drafts.

I loved how she quoted from the Stephanie Plum series to give examples of how she uses setting, characterization, and plot. I am currently reading the series and so I could really see her examples in action. How I Write has quotes through book 12. I just finished reading 6. I know that the quotes from books I had already read made the lessons she was trying to teach more real to me.

What I didn’t like- i wasn’t thrilled about some of the questions asked. Quite a few times it seemed like she was being asked the same thing and answering the same way. I also would have liked to learn more about her early career. She was a stay at home mommy who decided to write. But, I would have liked to hear more about her early struggles and self doubts. Also, more in depth information on her writing techniques would have been nice. I felt like she only skimmed the surface. ( )
  authorjanebnight | May 19, 2013 |

How many people would kill to be a bestselling novelist? Especially one like Janet Evanovich.Writers want to know how a bestselling author thinks, writes, plans, and dreams her books. And they are primed for a book from Janet Evanovich that tells, in a witty Q&A format:
• How she comes up with such remarkable characters
• How she nails the perfect name every time
• How she finds out insider details
• Just how she sets up those masterful plots
• What the life of a full-time writer is really like
• What she'd tell an aspiring author about the publishing industry
• And much, much more!

This book details the elements of writing and publishing a novel, and addresses all categories of fiction--from mystery/thriller/action titles to romance; from stand-alone narratives to series. It offers practical and inspiring advice on such subjects as structuring a plot and handling rejection. And it combines one of today's most successful fiction writers with a published non-fiction writer who teaches creative fiction. HOW I WRITE is the perfect reference for anyone looking to improve their writing, and for those fans who are hungry to find out more about just how Janet Evanovich ticks.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:19 -0400)

How many people would kill to be a bestselling novelist--especially one like Janet Evanovich? Writers want to know how a bestselling author thinks, writes, plans, and dreams her books. Here, Evanovich tells, in a witty Q&A format, how she comes up with characters, and perfect names for them; how she finds out insider details; just how she sets up plots; what the life of a full-time writer is really like; and what she'd tell an aspiring author about the publishing industry. This book details the elements of writing and publishing a novel, and addresses all categories of fiction--from mystery/thriller/action titles to romance; from stand-alone narratives to series. It offers practical advice on such subjects as structuring a plot and handling rejection. And it combines one of today's most successful fiction writers with a published non-fiction writer who teaches creative fiction.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible