The Clockwork Three by Matthew J. Kirby

The Clockwork Three

by Matthew J. Kirby

In this book, Kirby begins the story with three separate kids’ lives. One is Giuseppe, an orphaned street musician who finds an amazing green violin. Then there is Frederick, an apprentice lock maker with a past he can’t remember. Lastly, there is Hannah who is a maid in a grand hotel, whose life is one of endless drudgery, until she encounters a mystifying new guest and learns of a hidden treasure. Kirby slowly brings these three lives together in an incredible weaving of story and fate. The three then work together to solve the mystery of the long lost fortune and learn the true value of friendship and trust.
  kazyn13 | Nov 8, 2017 |
The clockwork three , is about three children and how their stories come together. Hannah is a girl who works as a maid ,at a grand hotel, after her father had a stroke. she has to support her whole family because of her fathers sickness. When Hannah gets offered a job as Madame Pomerys assistant, she takes it eagerly hoping she can make some extra money for her family. Fredrick , a orphan who works as a clock makers apprentice , is working on a automan that he is sure will make him a journey man , but there is just on missing piece..... its head. When he finds the magnus head it seems like a dream come true. Giuseppe is a boy who works for a cruel master, Stephano. when he finds the green violin floating in the harbor, he discover the violin has a special ''power'' to move people with its music. The green violin might just be his ticket home back to Italy. Slowly their stories come together, and in the end its their friendship that gets them what they need. The clockwork three, is written by Matthew J. Kirby. The book is about three children named Hannah, Fredrick, and Giuseppe. each of the characters has a wish or need, Hannah wishes for her fathers health, Fredrick to make journeyman, and Giuseppe wants to get back to his family in Italy, and escape from the hands of his cruel master. Overall I enjoyed this book , the author made the story seem real, made it come alive. The only criticism I have is the change of characters. I like the fact that the book was written in each characters point of view , but it also made it confusing to read. Other than that I enjoyed it, and recommend it to those who like a good adventure. I gave this book a four because it had all the write qualitys a book needed , even though it was sometimes confusing with the change of characters I still liked it. ( )
  sierraF.B1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Guiseppe spends his days as a busker playing violin on the street corners and hoping to earn enough for the meager food and shelter provided by his evil padrone, Stephano. But when he finds the beautiful green violin in the washed up debris from a shipwreck he begins to dream that there might be a way to return to his home in Italy. Hannah works as a maid in a beautiful downtown hotel, waiting on and cleaning up after the wealthy who are oblivious to her plight as the only means of support for her family after her father suffered a stroke. She learns of a treasure hidden by a former guest, and hopes to find it and save her family from the streets. And Frederick works as an apprentice clockmaker for Master Branch, who saved him from a workhouse/orphanage. He is perhaps most comfortable but he burns with a desire to prove himself and works secretly on a clockwork automaton in the form of a man in the hope it will help him make journeyman, allowing him to open his own shop. But all three of their paths eventually cross and they join to help each other in this story with a basis in real historical events of 1870s New York.

A couple months ago my family and I were in a bookstore and my 8 year old daughter made a bit of a fuss over this book (I was able to obtain an advance reader copy from Amazon Vine instead). After she and I started reading it together I realized that it's a bit over her head - more on a reading level for my 11 year old daughter (I think the recommendation of grades 5-8 is very appropriate). But once I began reading it on my own I couldn't put it down. The story starts a bit slow as it rotates among the three children who are seemingly unconnected to one another, but soon enough you're easily drawn into their lives and the troubles they face.

But while the story is good and will certainly appeal strongly to kids, it's Matthew Kirby's writing that I found especially captivating. It's books and writers like this that make me think that YA fiction is too often underrated. Mr. Kirby's words have a magical color and life to them that breathes life into the story, leaving even adults in the grip of a tale they can't put down. He's a very talented writer and I look forward to more from him (there were a few loose ends here, making me hope there might be room for more from this story). Highly recommended. ( )
  J.Green | Aug 26, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Aug 15, 2014 |
I am grateful to my friend, Izzy for recommending this book to me. It was a great read, quite the page turner. I loved all the different stories and how they fit together. Three kids on their own, each trying to solve a weighty problem. Friendship, trust and cooperation help them win the day. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
For Azure
When Giuseppe found the green violin, he did not think it would help him escape.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0545203376, Hardcover)

An enchanted green violin, an automaton that comes to life, and a hidden treasure. . . . THE CLOCKWORK THREE is a richly woven adventure story that is sure to become a classic!

Three ordinary children are brought together by extraordinary events. . .

Giuseppe is an orphaned street musician from Italy, who was sold by his uncle to work as a slave for an evil padrone in the U.S. But when a mysterious green violin enters his life he begins to imagine a life of freedom.

Hannah is a soft-hearted, strong-willed girl from the tenements, who supports her family as a hotel maid when tragedy strikes and her father can no longer work. She learns about a hidden treasure, which she knows will save her family -- if she can find it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

As mysterious circumstances bring Giuseppe, Frederick, and Hannah together, their lives soon interlock like the turning gears in a clock and they realize that each one holds a key to solving the others' mysteries.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,742,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible