My Name Is Mina by David Almond

My Name Is Mina (2010)

by David Almond

200None59,592 (3.85)8
Recently added byelkiedee, wmsflrc, pclibrary1, library.sec.cha, rachelfoster, private library, Redon, Ardee_CS

Wow! what a book, it had me puzzled at the start, but because it was written so differently i was intrigued by the storyline. Also i had read Skellig a few years earlier and didn't appreciate it until i had re read it and discussed other people's ideas about storyline. This book deals with a young girl named Mina (who i suspect is a little bit autistic) who doesn't appear to fit in with society as she is different. She has a vivid imagination and sees beyond the physical detail of the world around her instead often looking at the emotional connection between living and inaminate objects. Mina is also grieving for her dad and expresses this grief by writing words that dance on a pages. She writes in her journal, 'My name is Mina and I love the night.' Mina lets her journal grow just like her mind does, just like a tree or a beast does, just like life does. And here is her journal, Mina's life in Mina's own words: her stories and dreams, experiences and thoughts, her scribblings in this book. This book (described as the prequel to Skellig) introducesMina before she has met Michael, before she has met Skellig, but you learn of Michael and is sick baby sister as they move into old Mr Myer's house after he died. So different, so thought inspiring, so worth discussing with other readers about their perspective on writing style. ( )
  rata | Sep 15, 2013 |
Year 10 Book review - My Name is Mina by David Almond

My Name is Mina is the prequel to Skellig; you don't have to read Skellig first but it might help a bit.

The book is written in the form of Mina's journal. Mina loves words so soon the journal becomes full of her ideas, stories, poems, memories and blank pages! I love the way that Mina's voice comes across loud and clear in this book and you become completely immersed in her world.

Mina is on a journey of self-discovery and we get an insight into how she deals with the death of her father and her relationships with other children and her mother.

Ultimately this is a book about finding and accepting who you are. I am definitely going to try some of Mina's Extraordinary Activities for myself! ( )
  shrlibrary | Jan 4, 2013 |
Read because it was shortlisted for the 2012 Carnegie Medal. Loved Mina, fleshes out the charcter we've already met in Skellig. Recommeded for older readers who love Skellig.Not sure reading this first would lead most Y6/7 readers onto Skellig, which would be a big whole in their literary journey IMO. ( )
  celerydog | Sep 7, 2012 |
'Skellig' is one of my all-time favourite books and I approached this with both caution and excitement. Sadly I just couldn't finish this rambling mess. I know it is a journal but it simply lacked structure and I began to dislike the Mina I'd loved in 'Skellig'. Maybe this prequel shouldn't have been written. :( ( )
  SmithSJ01 | Aug 22, 2012 |
Prequel to Skellig ( )
  lindamamak | Jun 11, 2012 |
For Sara Jane and Freya
My name is Mina and I love the night.

Mina loves the night. While everyone else is in a deep slumber, she gazes out the window, witness to the moon's silvery light. In the stillness, she can even hear her own heart beating. This is when Mina feels that anything is possible and her imagination is set free.
     A blank notebook lies on the table. It has been there for what seems like forever. Mina has proclaimed in the past that she will use it as a journal, and one night, at last, she begins to do just that. As she writes, Mina makes discoveries both trivial and profound about herself and her world, her thoughts and her dreams.
     Award-winning author David Almond reintroduces readers to the perceptive, sensitive Mina before the events of Skellig in this lyrical and fantastical work. My Name is Mina is not only a pleasure to read, it is an intimate and enlightening look at a character whose open mind and heart have much to teach us about life, love, and the mysteries that surround us.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:00 -0400)

Creative, intelligent, nine-year-old Mina keeps a journal in her own disorderly way that reveals how her mind is growing into something extraordinary, especially after she begins homeschooling under the direction of her widowed mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible