My Name Is Mina by David Almond

My Name Is Mina (2010)

by David Almond

2281950,815 (3.98)8

In this prequel to the novel, Skellig, Mina, a precocious preteen who decides to be homeschooled, spends her days daydreaming in the tall branches of a tree, where she writes in her journal, gazes up at birds making a home for their soon-to-be laid eggs, and watches the goings-on at a neighboring house. But Mina especially loves the night, "when the rest of the world has gone to sleep" and "anything seems possible." ( )
  lbblackwell | Jul 26, 2014 |
Mina is my hero! Such an intriguing story line, character, and structure. Almond's inclusion of concrete poetry, "extraordinary activities," and journal entries match Mina's character beautifully. For students who are intelligent and creative yet may struggle to find their place in school, Mina is a fantastic role model. ( )
  jcarroll12 | Jul 22, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed reading David Almond’s My Name is Mina on this gifted, relatable, funny, confident, scared, young girl. As I read through the novel of a young girl who “hates” school and has chosen to be home schooled, I was often bothered by the mom’s somewhat lackadaisical approach with Mina. On the flip side, I believe that Mom knows her child best and really was a loving role model in her daughter’s confusion.
I also noticed the structure and placement of the various poems and usage of words to create both beautiful literature and a simplistic, childlike voice. This was all done while incorporating diction and tone throughout the novel, such as sarcasm-both in Almond’s writing of Mina’s words and ironically of Mina’s mention of her dislike for her teacher’s use of sarcasm. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 15, 2014 |
I don't often hand out 5 start ratings, but this book captured my heart and imagination. Mina the quirky gifted, creative pre-teen leads readers on a journey of her inner life via her diary - a series of poems, narrations, drawings with an annotation or two thrown in for good measure. Mina is complex character who is coming to terms with her own unique cognitions as well as the loss of her father. To be read, and read, and read some more. (Oh and I suppose I could share this with students too!) ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 3, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book. I fell in love with Mina from the very first few pages. The way David Almond gives Mina such a realistic voice is truly a gift. It's a book about exploration, friendship, and self-worth. I think we can all think of someone who reminds us of Mina. For me, it's myself. I remember writing in my journal just as Mina did. One thought would lead me to another thought and so on. It's definitely a must read. ( )
  Kbernard | Jun 29, 2014 |
For Sara Jane and Freya
My name is Mina and I love the night.

Mina loves the night. While everyone else is in a deep slumber, she gazes out the window, witness to the moon's silvery light. In the stillness, she can even hear her own heart beating. This is when Mina feels that anything is possible and her imagination is set free.
     A blank notebook lies on the table. It has been there for what seems like forever. Mina has proclaimed in the past that she will use it as a journal, and one night, at last, she begins to do just that. As she writes, Mina makes discoveries both trivial and profound about herself and her world, her thoughts and her dreams.
     Award-winning author David Almond reintroduces readers to the perceptive, sensitive Mina before the events of Skellig in this lyrical and fantastical work. My Name is Mina is not only a pleasure to read, it is an intimate and enlightening look at a character whose open mind and heart have much to teach us about life, love, and the mysteries that surround us.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:00 -0400)

Creative, intelligent, nine-year-old Mina keeps a journal in her own disorderly way that reveals how her mind is growing into something extraordinary, especially after she begins homeschooling under the direction of her widowed mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,460,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible